BB: Pool B

Started by Bronko7, April 21, 2008, 09:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

University of Dallas is not in-region for Emory.

UDallas is on the edge as well.  They play 3 games at Chapman this weekend.  If they won 2 of 3, they could make a case for a Pool B bid.  They have a 3-game sweep of league leading non-region Adrian (MIAA).

They split with Emory, beat Hendrix 2 of 3, lost one to UTTyler and split with Chicago.

The overall record in 20-13-1 and in-region is 14-12-1.

JohnnyU

But that would have to eliminate Chapman right?

Do you think York is a lock? Do playing bad of late hurt more than playing bad early?

BigPoppa

Quote from: JohnnyU on May 01, 2009, 10:37:45 AM
Do you think York is a lock? Do playing bad of late hurt more than playing bad early?

Not exactly... with Pool B being as weak as I think it is this year, we may see a few weaker Pool B teams getting bids over much stronger Pool C teams who will be left out.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Ralph Turner

The top 3 are almost a lock...

Salisbury, CSS, Ithaca.

Chapman is a strong 4th today.  Sweeping UDallas will give them a lock.

York and Emory have finished and await the selections.  The committee supposedly does not weigh end-of-season more strongly than early season.

Wash U, Bethany Lutheran and UDallas all have destiny in their hands.

Quote from: BigPoppa on May 01, 2009, 10:42:45 AM

Not exactly... with Pool B being as weak as I think it is this year, we may see a few weaker Pool B teams getting bids over much stronger Pool C teams who will be left out.

Respectfully, I don't think that we see a Pool B team getting a Pool C bid as we did in 2006, when Emory and WashU got Pool C bids as Pool B teams.

http://www.d3baseball.com/region/Central

BigPoppa

Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 01, 2009, 11:18:20 AM

The top 3 are almost a lock...

Salisbury, CSS, Ithaca.

Chapman is a strong 4th today.  Sweeping UDallas will give them a lock.

York and Emory have finished and await the selections.  The committee supposedly does not weigh end-of-season more strongly than early season.

Wash U, Bethany Lutheran and UDallas all have destiny in their hands.

If WashU beats Webster this weekend and UDallas beats Chapman, the NCAA will have quite a mess on its hands. Not sure any of them (York, Emory, WashU and UDallas) would qualify as a Pool C.

OshDude

Quote from: BaseballFan on May 01, 2009, 08:48:27 AM
Quote from: OshDude on May 01, 2009, 05:13:00 AM
Quote from: wustlfan37 on May 01, 2009, 12:48:17 AM

North Central - 8-21

To put a finer point on it, BLC played NCU from Minnesota, not NCC from Illinois. NCU is one of the Midwest's two winless (in-region only) teams with an 0-23 record.

actually north central is 0-26
Semantics, but I'm pretty sure NCU is 0-23 in-region. There are two games missing on its site. It doesn't matter how many games you're off, it still counts as a 0 when it come to OWP and OOWP.

OshDude

Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 01, 2009, 09:07:01 AM

UDallas is on the edge as well.  They play 3 games at Chapman this weekend.  If they won 2 of 3, they could make a case for a Pool B bid.  They have a 3-game sweep of league leading non-region Adrian (MIAA).

They split with Emory, beat Hendrix 2 of 3, lost one to UTTyler and split with Chicago.

I have UD at 12-12-1 in-region.
Don't count:
3-0 Adrian
4-0 Santa Fe
1-1 Emory

JohnnyU

Even if Dallas wins 2 of 3 this weekend, I don't understand how they (or Emory for that matter) could be considered for Pool B. 14-13-1 or 17-16 gets you in over 23-9 or 27-13?  And if Chapman loses 2 of 3 that puts them at 18-13, not much better. It's not like York and WashU have had THAT easy an schedule, like BLC. They both have at least a couple of good wins.

BigPoppa

It will be very interesting to see what the NCAA does with the Pool B bids. If the regional rankings are any indication of the importance of SOS, then Chapman is in good shape and Bethany is in bad shape. 

Ralph Turner

Quote from: OshDude on May 01, 2009, 12:24:37 PM

Don't count:
3-0 Adrian
4-0 Santa Fe
1-1 Emory
Thanks, dude! :)

Drop UDallas deeper into the pool, like almost drowning.   :-\

chakote

Quote from: BigPoppa on May 01, 2009, 12:37:37 PM
It will be very interesting to see what the NCAA does with the Pool B bids. If the regional rankings are any indication of the importance of SOS, then Chapman is in good shape and Bethany is in bad shape. 
[/quote

Some one said that all this chatter on the boards means nothing if the teams don't win.

I believe it was from Ralph whom through my 4 years of posting is along with Big Poppa,Jim Dixon and a few others that know the system better than anyone of these homer posters and don't have an agenda for there own team; granted they have there favorites i.e Carthage but for the most part are core of the D3 basball.com and all the other sports that they cover throughout the year.

By winning you don't leave your own destiny in anyones elses hands. Of course there are times that it doesn't seem fair but the NCAA has been doing this for a vey long time and they don't play favorites.
Success is not fatal; Failure is not final; but the courage to continue is what counts!!!
(Churchill)

BaseballFan

Quote from: OshDude on May 01, 2009, 12:17:34 PM
Quote from: BaseballFan on May 01, 2009, 08:48:27 AM
Quote from: OshDude on May 01, 2009, 05:13:00 AM
Quote from: wustlfan37 on May 01, 2009, 12:48:17 AM

North Central - 8-21

To put a finer point on it, BLC played NCU from Minnesota, not NCC from Illinois. NCU is one of the Midwest's two winless (in-region only) teams with an 0-23 record.

actually north central is 0-26
Semantics, but I'm pretty sure NCU is 0-23 in-region. There are two games missing on its site. It doesn't matter how many games you're off, it still counts as a 0 when it come to OWP and OOWP.

sorry i listed overall record seen that was what was listed above,  but you are right for in region.

chakote

Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 01, 2009, 12:46:37 PM
Quote from: OshDude on May 01, 2009, 12:24:37 PM

Don't count:
3-0 Adrian
4-0 Santa Fe
1-1 Emory
Thanks, dude! :)

Drop UDallas deeper into the pool, like almost drowning.   :-\
Then with all this said they have to win all 3 this weekend against CU to even get close. for some reason my gut feeling is that they are a much better team this year from last year and hold there destiny in there own hands not unlike the rest of the lower pool b's.

With the pool bee's being such a weak pool all bets are off as to who is in and who isn't.
So back to Ralphs infinte wisdom just win and let the rest fall into place.
Success is not fatal; Failure is not final; but the courage to continue is what counts!!!
(Churchill)

OshDude

I'll do this one more time. I hope we can update these as any results come in. Corrections appreciated. Just a note: I think all of York's games are in-region.
THROUGH GAMES OF 4/30
Probables
St. Scholastica 20-1
Salisbury 29-6
Ithaca 20-4

Contenders ... went deep again (W/L vs. once-ranked regional opponents, i.e. in-region for those teams)
Dallas 12-12-1 (W: NONE. L: Tyler)
York 27-13 (W: Salisbury. L: Salisbury (3), C. Newport (2), NC Wesleyan, Montclair)
Emory 17-16 (W: York, NC Wesleyan, Rochester. L: Millsaps (3), Rochester)
Wash U 22-8 (W: Rochester, Webster. L: IL Wesleyan (2))
Chicago 12-7 (W: Luther, Rose-Hulman (2). L: Luther, Buena Vista)
Wesley 24-16-1 (W:  York, Salisbury (2). L: York (2), Shenandoah, Salisbury)
Susquehanna 24-15 (W: Frostburg. L: Keystone, Manhattanville)
Bethany Lutheran 22-4 (W: NONE. L: St. Scholastica (2))
Baruch 14-12-1 (W: Old Westbury. L: Manhattanville, Old Westbury)
St. John Fisher 15-14 (W: Manhattanville, Cortland, Ithaca. L: RPI, Manhattanville, Cortland, Ithaca (3), Rochester)
Huntingdon 17-10 (W: NONE. L: Millsaps (2))
LaGrange 17-15 (W: NC Wesleyan L: Millsaps)
Maryville 19-16 (W: Marietta. L: Marietta)
Chapman 17-11 (McMurry (3), Redlands. L: Pomona (3), Redlands)
Stevens 19-15 (W: NONE. L: Kean, Eastern Connecticut, Ithaca (2), Old Westbury, New Jersey)
RIT 15-12 (W: Ithaca. L: New Jersey, Ithaca (3), Rochester)

OshDude

Another note: I went through those very quickly. Feel free to double check a team or five just to make sure I'm not providing bunk info.

EDIT: Already noticed I forgot to add two results (Salisbury and Ithaca) that I've since updated, so please, if your favorite team is on here and looks good, don't treat this as the Truth (capital-T truth, that is). But I feel good about the numbers I provided. Once I decided not to do W/L for the probables, I just copied and pasted the IC and SU records and forgot to add the newest games. I hope that's the only error.