WBB: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, March 17, 2005, 02:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcal

McMurry Ladies will refocus on basketball basics for tonite's contest aganist TLU and Saturday's game with SU.  I am sure McMurry's fine coaching staff will have the team getting the ball into the post, reacting to the double and triple team that will come, and hitting the open shot.  Lets play ball and all will be well.

In the ASC-East, MC looks quite strong.  Three teams in the ASC-West (HSU, HPU, McM) appear capable of being in the tournament.  Dr. Ralph Turner pointed out some time ago that the games HPU has againist McM on 2/9 and HSU on 2/11 are large indeed.  What would the impact be of a loss or two on who gets in?

I will leave the multiple breakdown of what might/could happen during these last two weeks or so of the regular season to someone more versed than me.  Who could get in and who stays at home.  Thoughts please.

Ralph Turner

bcal, I am waiting for the Regional Rankings to be released on Feb 8th to look at the prospects for hosting a Sectional, which MC and McM have a good chance to do, and for getting one of the 21 Pool C bids.

The Ladies' brackets have the South Region playing the West Region this year.  The top 3 teams in South Region look to be Randolph-Macon, McMurry and MissColl.

Ralph Turner

Ralph Turner

Ralph Turner

Nice mention by Pat Coleman in the Ponderings section of Around the Nation this week.

He makes the case that McM-HSU is the finest Women's rivalry in the country.

I really hope that we do get to play HSU 4 times this year!

dsc

HARDIN-SIMMONS UNIVERSITY: AN EDUCATION ENLIGHTENED BY FAITH.

Ralph Turner

McM 84 TLU 60.  Final.  McM is 16-1 Conference /17-1 South Region / 19-1 overall.

inthepaint

Quote from: Ralph Turner on February 02, 2006, 08:11:21 PM
Pat Coleman . . .  makes the case that McM-HSU is the finest Women's rivalry in the country.

I've always thought the more intense rivalry was between HPU and HSU but I have not been following the teams as long as some.  There just seems to be such bitterness between HPU and HSU, especially among the fans.  I don't see the emotion in comments by McM fans that I do from the HPU faithful. 

Either way, HPU, HSU and McM are all giving us plenty to get excited over these days!

inthepaint

Oh, and was Ralph Turner referred to as "Dr." because of his obvious knowledge of the game or because he really is a doctor, either medical or of the PhD variety?

Ralph Turner

You know how it is among those Baptist...if you have 20 Baptists, you have one congregation.  By the time you have 30 Baptists, you have 2 congregations. :)

calhsu

Ralph is that hate speech?

Just joking. 

In 2000 the big rival series was of course HSU vs. MCM.  Since then the HPU team has been a force until finally winning last year. 
It has not been that hot between HSU and Mcm until last year. 
And as not forget MC they have normally been the force of the east but have not until this year shown that they can beat the good teams in the west.
Having the playoffs in Clinton  will give them their first chance of not being a runner up.

dsc

Ralph, reference to Post #684...you don't know how true that is...or, maybe you do!  I like that description about Baptists...and I'll be using it.   :D

Maybe that is why there is always more then one Baptist church in a city, regardless of the size!

I also agree that the HPU/HSU rivalry is just as intense as the McM/HSU rivalry.  I heard recently that they keep a section of seats EMPTY between the fans at the games to keep them apart!   :(

HARDIN-SIMMONS UNIVERSITY: AN EDUCATION ENLIGHTENED BY FAITH.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: calhsu on February 02, 2006, 09:22:57 PM
Ralph is that hate speech?

It is only hate speech when the respective congregants are talking about each other! ;D :D ;)

nash

SLP

Way to go AC!!!  Great game-could be an important win,