Mid-East Region 2014

Started by Pops33, February 13, 2014, 08:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spence

Quote from: motorman on May 06, 2014, 01:49:14 PM
Quote from: Spence on May 06, 2014, 12:08:55 PM
Quote from: motorman on May 06, 2014, 08:00:09 AM
Berg falls to #13, Case to #21 and Etta still #23 in latest poll.

Thanks. I mean it's the lead item on the front page of the site so I don't know how you could miss it.

People obviously just looking at W-L and nothing else in their voting. Means nothing, really. Dropping Linfield to 3 was ridiculous too. 2 of those were to an NAIA program that could beat many D-I teams.

We all know how you feel about the polls. Really don't need to hear it ever again.

BTW, in the ABCA poll Berg #11, Case #20, Etta #25

New regional #1 in the only rankings that matter. After today Case might be #2. Wonder how much head to head might matter for #3.

mideastfan2

Marietta goes 1-2 in OAC tournament, and Heidelberg goes 0-2. I would assume that Marietta is still a lock for a Pool C bid based on this week's regional rankings, but I have my doubts on Heidelberg.

Case may have had the biggest weekend of everyone by not playing. It will be interesting to see how the regional seeds play out, and if anyone gets shipped out to another region. I'm willing to bet that if Heidelberg sneaks in, either them or the OAC pool A winner (JCU or BW) gets shipped.

Spence

A couple of weeks ago I might have said that would be a break for whoever got shipped, but I really am not feeling it for the whole region right now. Manchester and W&J are in the loser's bracket, Marietta is out, Heidelberg is out. We've certainly seen it before where MC does poorly in the conference tournament then wins the region, though.

Going to the Central and dealing with Webster and Buena Vista or the Midwest and St. Thomas and Concordia doesn't sound much fun.

EttaFan1

From what I saw the past two days, neither Marietta or berg has the pitching needed to compete in a regional this year. Marietta's top two guys are very good, but they lack depth (especially now with the injury bug). Berg's pitching had a rough weekend to say the least.

Marietta doesn't hit well enough to compensate for pitching deficiencies, either.

The Mideast is wide open. And jcu may just have the goods to deeply into the field provided they win the pool a bid.

mideastfan2

Rose-Hulman punches their ticket with a 6-3 win over Manchester...gains the HCAC pool A bid.

Thomas Moore claims the PrAC pool A bid with a 8-7 win over W&J.

Spence

Both teams that could go to Whitewater or Quad Cities.

And DePauw is in a final against Wooster and would be another that could easily go (though so could Wooster).

Bishopleftiesdad

Depauw wins the NCAC. I believe they will be the top candidate to be shipped out.

Spence

Just about anyone could be except Marietta (obvious); and the AMCC winner. JCU and Case Western I don't think could go to the Central but could go to Midwest.

BW, Thomas More, DePauw, Rose Hulman, Adrian and Heidelberg could go to either.

mideastfan2

So the winners of the HCAC, PrAC, NCAC, and soon to be OAC will all be #3 or #4 seeds from their respective tournaments....wow! Never have seen that before.

Spence

Yeah me either. When I looked at the teams in the draws though, I expected some top seeds to encounter trouble.

I didn't expect Jason Byers to get knocked around though. He really needs to work on taking the mound ready to dominate from the first pitch. Slow starter all year. Has gotten away with it a few times, against JCU he didn't.

mideastfan2

Add JCU to the dance...they punch their ticket as OAC champs, winning from the #3 spot.

Spence

Congrats to coach Thibeault and the Blue Streaks. Hopefully both teams are in a regional either with Marietta at Don Schaly Stadium or elsewhere. Both are good teams.

If BW wins the first game of the tournament that came down to a defensive error, IMO they win the tournament.

Spence

The Marietta regional bracket. Can't call this the Mideast regional anymore.

Hosted by Marietta, Marietta, Ohio         
1. Marietta         
2. Case Western Reserve         
3. Salisbury         
4. Widener         
5. La Roche         
6. John Carroll         
7. Thomas More         
8. Penn State-Berks      

Sorry to see Heidelberg not in it, was looking forward to rooting against them one last time. Now I have to support them because conference unity? Aw crap.

Not glad to see La Roche looming as possible second-round opposition; those guys have played Marietta tough. Am very glad BW isn't the 4 seed though because they are really good.    

motorman

Big surprise that they shipped so many teams out of the Mid East. DePauw and Rose Hulman to the Central, Heidelberg to the Mid West and Baldwin Wallace to the Mid Atlantic.

EttaFan1

Very surprised that 4 teams from the OAC made the NCAA tournament.  And like Motorman said, it is a surprise that so many were "shipped out."  However I do not view this as a bad thing.  I think sending BW and Berg to other regions is healthy for the league and makes for a more diverse tourney.  I know that the families of the players from those two teams would prefer not to travel that far (especially to wisconsin), but how many more times do Marietta-Berg-JCU-BW want to see each other? 

This should be a good quality tournament. 

Best of luck to all of the teams from the mid-east region, wherever they are headed.

A Quick look at a couple of the teams with whom I'm not famaliar....

Penn State Berks, must have got hot at the right time.  They are 19-19.  They have a couple of decent arms, and some decent bats, but don't really strike fear into the hearts of anyone. 

Salisbury looks to be a very strong team.  They have two quality starters and can swing it a little.

Widener looks to have a strong pitching staff.  Nothing particularly impressive about their hitting prowess

Should be an interestng field.