2017 Playoffs

Started by Andy Jamison - Walla Walla Wildcat, October 31, 2017, 01:17:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HScoach

Quote from: wesleydad on November 22, 2017, 10:31:55 AM
This week could have several lower seeded teams winning.  Wesley/ Brockport, Frostburg/W&J, NCC/Oshkosh, Linfield/UMHB, and Trine/Wartburg look like toss ups or games that the away team would not surprise if they won the game.  I think Del Val, Mount, and St. Thomas may get challenged but any of them losing would be considered a major upset.  This could be a fun week of mayhem in D3.

I'm 100% behind an upset of UWO.   I'd much rather have NCC coming to Mount in the semi's than traveling to Wisconsin to play in what could very well be single digits or worse with a team solely built on the strength of the WR corps.

And yes, I agree with your point that round 2 could be a lot more interesting this year than most.
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

smedindy

If Husson can play keep away with their running game, they could spring an upset.

emma17

Quote from: HScoach on November 22, 2017, 11:07:26 AM
This week could have several lower seeded teams winning.  Wesley/ Brockport, Frostburg/W&J, NCC/Oshkosh, Linfield/UMHB, and Trine/Wartburg look like toss ups or games that the away team would not surprise if they won the game.  I think Del Val, Mount, and St. Thomas may get challenged but any of them losing would be considered a major upset.  This could be a fun week of mayhem in D3.

I'm 100% behind an upset of UWO.   I'd much rather have NCC coming to Mount in the semi's than traveling to Wisconsin to play in what could very well be single digits or worse with a team solely built on the strength of the WR corps.

And yes, I agree with your point that round 2 could be a lot more interesting this year than most.

Why don't you two get a room.

bluestreak66

What a semi-final game in Oshkosh feels like, more or less
A.M.D.G.
Whose House? STREAKS' HOUSE!

RIP MUC57- "Go everybody!"

2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION
2018 & 2019 ODAC POSTSEASON PICK EM'S CHAMPION
2019 OAC POSTSEASON PICK EM'S CHAMPION

Andy Jamison - Walla Walla Wildcat

Average Top 25 ranking of brackets - I'd think with 16 teams left we'd want these to average 8... we will see if the Top 25 voters know their stuff once it is settled on the field.

MHB 7.75
UMU 11.75
UWO 13.5
DV  16.25

MHB Bracket 7.75
MHB 1
Linfield 8
St Thomas 4
Berry 18

DV Bracket 16.25
DV 7
Husson NR - Will say 35
Brockport 10
Wesley 13

UWO 13.5
UWO 3
NC 9
Wartburg 17
Trine 25

UMU 11.75
UMU 2
CWR 16
WJ 14
Frostburg 15

HScoach

Quote from: emma17 on November 22, 2017, 02:47:25 PM

Why don't you two get a room.

Sorry, but I prefer blondes
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

wesleydad

Quote from: smedindy on November 22, 2017, 11:46:33 AM
If Husson can play keep away with their running game, they could spring an upset.

Smed, this could be true with the injury issues at Del Val on offense.  Del Val may struggle on offense and if they do Husson just may be able to do the same thing they did to Springfield last week.

wesleydad

In the end only 1 away team wins a game today.  Games that looked competitive turned out to be blowouts.  4 good ones next week.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: wesleydad on November 25, 2017, 03:05:11 PM
In the end only 1 away team wins a game today.  Games that looked competitive turned out to be blowouts.  4 good ones next week.

If you had asked me which game would not have been a monkey-stomp, the Tommie-Berry game would have been low on my list.

The headline says it all.

http://www.d3football.com/playoffs/2017/second-round-wrapup    Holiday Weekend Full of Second Round Turkeys

Mr. Ypsi

I was especially surprised by Trine @ Wartburg.  The "Quick Hits" guys and Logan Hansen all had it as a toss-up - it ended up the most lopsided of them all! :o  THREE TOs in the first half of the first quarter can really start an avalanche!

Pat Coleman

Even without being unable to hold onto the football, Trine wasn't as fast as Wartburg. They definitely had some speed on offense but Wartburg was faster across the board, and especially on defense.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

HansenRatings

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on November 25, 2017, 09:59:43 PM
I was especially surprised by Trine @ Wartburg.  The "Quick Hits" guys and Logan Hansen all had it as a toss-up - it ended up the most lopsided of them all! :o  THREE TOs in the first half of the first quarter can really start an avalanche!

It wasn't just a turnover fest that led to the final score, either. Wartburg's net offensive/defensive differentials were all outstanding:
Yards/Play: +5.7
1st Down Rate: +31.9%
Points/Drive: +3.1

I've had Monmouth on & off my Top 25 fan ballot for the last couple of seasons, so I was really impressed by Trine's first-round win, but watching them on Saturday, I was pretty underwhelmed. On offense, Wartburg had wide open (like, wiiiiide open) receivers all over the field, not a single negative rush for the Knights all day, and a lot of missed tackles by Trine. Defensively, Wartburg didn't have to worry about the passing game at all, regularly committing to stopping the run, and Trine couldn't make any plays through the air to make Wartburg play slower at all. I think last week against Monmouth was the first time Trine had trailed all season (and by only 3 points), but it looked to me like they were shell-shocked after the fumble on the kickoff--they didn't know how to play from behind like that.
Follow me on Twitter. I post fun graphs sometimes. @LogHanRatings

Bartman

As a Hobart fan I have been a bit lost this year with no playoffs, but I am still following the Eastern region , which I think has some strong representatives this year and might not fall to the customary sacrifice as has been this case in many of the years past. This coming week, we have an interesting matchup with Frostburg State v. Mount Union. In the past we might say this would be another 3-4 touchdown event in favor of Mount Union, but I don't think it will play out that way. I looked at the stats from the W&L game and although W&L did not score they moved the ball on The Mount when Mount Knew they would be running( 5 drives over 30 yards, one for 68 and 18 first downs).I watched the Frostburg-Wesley game earlier in the season, and despite the OT loss to Wesley, I thought Frostburg , of the two, would be a team you would want to avoid in the playoffs. I think Frostburg is a level up from W&L this year (no disrespect intended here) and the Bobcats may cause some problems for the Purple Raiders' defense this Saturday. I am not predicting  an upset, just that Mount Union better not make too many unforced errors , as Frostburg is a team that can take advantage of them. If there is a +2 advantage in turnovers,  the Bobcats could pull off the unexpected.
In the remaining Eastern game, I do expect Brockport to get past Delaware Valley, despite the road game, and be a strong challenge to an elite program like either UMHB or St. Thomas, although this could be wishful Eastern fan thinking ....we will see.
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

MUC57

Bartman

Sounds like a reasonable analysis to me. The Raiders have to be on their toes. No pushover here. Would rather be playing Wesley. We have their number. As I always say, may the better team win.
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

Bartman

Quote from: MUC57 on November 27, 2017, 10:23:47 AM

Bartman

Sounds like a reasonable analysis to me. The Raiders have to be on their toes. No pushover here. Would rather be playing Wesley. We have their number. As I always say, may the better team win.
MUC57,
     While I say turnovers are a key,unfortunately for the Bobcats,  my experience with Mount Union is that they do protect the ball pretty well. Looks like this year they only had 2 INTs, while losing 11 fumbles...and have  a +15 net TOs. Now from personal experience, Hobart played Mount fairly well until the end of the third quarter but had 2 TOs to sink any chance, while Mount was TO free....so the same thing applies to Frostburg (I think they have 25 TOs this year), if they have any chance to upset the Purple Raiders they must not cough it up. Other than that aspect, I think the Raider fans will be entertained by a very balanced Frostburg team, and barring the Bobcats' dream of an upset in Alliance(when did that happen last?),they should give the Purple Raiders a great test before the next round.   
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath