SLIAC

Started by watchdog, March 08, 2004, 02:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopefan

props to Mac for getting their first league win last night, winning at Prin....  Mac had the lead vs Greenville athalf last Saturday, but couldn't handle Greenville's press in the 2nd half... nice to see them get a win last night...

Big games tonite, with Webster at Westmin (a Webster upset would give the conference tourney a bit more of an interesting look), Fontbonne at Greenville (a must win for Greenville), and Blackburn at Eureka (a must win for Blackburn).
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

hopefan

Just a quick review of standing and conference tourney possibilities....

Blackburn's sqeaker of a win over Eureka, eased things a bit, but there are still several real scenarios as to whom wil be out of the logjam for the 4th spot...

Undefeated Westmin is obviously our champ and will host the Thursday - Saturday conference tourney
Beyond that though...
Fontbonne has 4 losses and has clinched a spot in the tourney
Webster with 5 losses, BC with 6 losses and Greenville with 7 losses are stil alive for the other two spots, depending on tiebreakers...

remaining games for those 3 are

BC at Fontbonne
Greenville at Webster
Spalding at Greenville
Webster at Fontbonne

If BC beats Fontbonne, BC is IN
Greenville must beat Webster and Spalding to have a chance to be in... otherwise, they would have 8 losses, and be out

The fun would be if Greenville won both of those games... unlikely, but not beyond the realm off possibility...  if they did, they would finish with 7 losses, and if Blackburn lost to Fontbonne they would have 7 losses, and if Webster also lost to Fontbonne, as well as to Greenville, they would have 7 losses too.... The key is Greenville... a loss, and the 4 teams in the tourney are locked.....

hopefan

Funny, I find this stuff really interesting, exciting....  but obviously no one else does... no parents, no friends of players, no boyfriends of players, no players, none of our prior posters,     
not even Coach Will.......................... sorry, ladies....... :'(

erkle

Quote from: hopefan on February 18, 2011, 02:53:26 PM
Funny, I find this stuff really interesting, exciting....  but obviously no one else does... no parents, no friends of players, no boyfriends of players, no players, none of our prior posters,     
not even Coach Will.......................... sorry, ladies....... :'(

Hope, I am a Westminster fan, and follow this forum. Your analysis is spot on, these girls play hard and with big hearts. Keep the commentary coming.

Blue Jay Dad

Coach Will

Hope,

Coach Will is business watching film and preparing for a tough Fontbonne team. And no, there is nothing funny about that post...its a dogfight!!!!

hopefan

Last night's results finalize the ladie's tourney

at Westmin Thursday, Saturday afternoon

Westmin 1  vs Blackburn 4 - both games during year were double digit wins for Westmin

Fontbonne vs Webster in 2-3 game    they also play on Tuesday in final regular season game...  first game between the two was a classic.. Webster winning a stunner....

formersliaccommish

Nobody has noticed, or at least not commented, on the shuffling of the Women's standings and Tournament lineup.

Apparently Blackburn used an ineligible player in three January games costing them three wins and Greenville has now clinched the fourth spot in the Tournament.

The revised standings and Tournament lineup are on the SLIAC website.

hopefan

That's a stunner and a disappointment to fans of Coach Will on this page.... doing a little detective work, it appears to me that if it was an ineligible player who did not play in other wins, it was a player who played very few minutes in the games that were forfeited... unfortunately, the TEAM pays the penalty, particularly disappointing in this case where they worked hard for a conference tourney spot only to be eliminated off the court.....

Who bears the responsibility in this case?  Does Blackburn have a compliance officer? or is the Coach, or the AD the responsible party?

I know Greenville didn't want to gain entry to the tourney this way.....

NO RESPECT

Everyone:
Coach Dubb did not break any rules, nor did anyone on his coaching staff. The young lady that played did not score 1 point in any of the games, and she played less than a minute in three games and under three minutes in the other two that Blackburn had to forfeit.

This mistake happened during the certification process, which happens before the season started. Coach Dubb was told that the young lady was ok, as he was for all of the players.

Coach Dubb and his players were heartbroken to find out on Friday that they could not play in the SLIAC tournament. I know he was really sad for his seniors, especially Sierra Shipley.

So everyone, please realize that this is a tough time for the program, and don't make assumptions. It was a mistake...The Coach and player is not sore or upset with anyone, and we asked that all negativity on this issue be kept to a minimum.

thanks,

No Respect
Defense is a full time job, and not a part time practice.

Gregory Sager

NO RESPECT is right. At every school of which I'm aware of the certification process, it is handled by a designated athletics compliance officer, generally (for obvious reasons) a school employee who works in the school's records office such as the registrar or assistant registrar. It involves the sort of transcript work and NCAA bureaucratic minutiae that coaches are neither trained for nor qualified to deal with. Coaches are thus dependent upon school officers in terms of knowing who is eligible and who isn't. In most cases they do not even have the legal right to access a student-athlete's transcript unless the school has specifically authorized them to do so.

Gotta stick up for my man (and fellow North Park alumnus) Coach Will!
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Coach Will

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 22, 2011, 06:36:57 PM
NO RESPECT is right. At every school of which I'm aware of the certification process, it is handled by a designated athletics compliance officer, generally (for obvious reasons) a school employee who works in the school's records office such as the registrar or assistant registrar. It involves the sort of transcript work and NCAA bureaucratic minutiae that coaches are neither trained for nor qualified to deal with. Coaches are thus dependent upon school officers in terms of knowing who is eligible and who isn't. In most cases they do not even have the legal right to access a student-athlete's transcript unless the school has specifically authorized them to do so.

Gotta stick up for my man (and fellow North Park alumnus) Coach Will!
Thanks Sager.....At least someone has my back...LOL

hopefan

PLEASE... no implications form my post.... only questioning who goofed up....  I'm with you the whole way Coach Will......

hopefan

Crazy finish to last night Webster - Fontbonne game... fantastic comeback by Webster to erase a 14 point deficit and go ahead with under 5 minutes... the lead is exchanged, tie game under 20 secs with Webster looking for last shot, the ball goes loose and is recovered by a Fontbonne player who is knocked off her feet by a diving Webster player... whistle, foul... NO, the call is travelling!!!  Webster ball with 4.5 near mid court.. throw in should go towards hoop, right?   NO throw it back towards mid court line, intercepted and stolen by Fontbonne's Calli Collier who drives in, gets fouled, makes a free throw, and Fontbonne wins.  So Webster and Fontbonne split last second wins in two games that are absolute gems...  and they meet again on thursday night in Fulton in ladies conference tourney....

Coach Will

Quote from: hopefan on February 23, 2011, 08:38:15 AM
PLEASE... no implications form my post.... only questioning who goofed up....  I'm with you the whole way Coach Will......
Thanks Hope...It has been a tough few days around beaver land. I guess we all have cried enough over it, so now we have to move on. I wish all four teams luck in the tournament this weekend.