SLIAC

Started by watchdog, March 08, 2004, 02:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopefan

Very good hire

Fontbonne hires Matt Wickenhauser as new women's basketball coach
03/30/2011 03:22pm

March 30, 2011 - The Fontbonne University athletic department is pleased to announce the hiring of Matt Wickenhauser as its new head women's basketball coach. Coach Wickenhauser replaces Keith Quigley, who resigned earlier this month after 15 seasons as the head coach.

"I am really excited about this opportunity to be the head coach at Fontbonne and to build on the great tradition that has been established for women's basketball," Coach Wickenhauser said.

Fontbonne University Director of Athletics Maria Eftink didn't have to go far to find Coach Wickenhauser as he served as an assistant coach last year at Fontbonne.

"Coach Wickenhauser has such great experience within the SLIAC (St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference) serving as an assistant at Fontbonne last year and Maryville for seven years," Eftink said. "He was instrumental in the turn around that occurred at Maryville and was a valuable asset to Fontbonne's coaching staff last year."

Prior to coming to Fontbonne, Coach Wickenhauser spent seven years as an assistant coach at Maryville University and one year as an assistant coach at University of Missouri-St. Louis.

Coach Wickenhauser was an assistant coach at Maryville from 2001-2008. During that time, the Saints went undefeated in regular season conference play from 2003-2008 seasons with an overall record of 107-19. Maryville set an all-time NCAA DIII record of 76 regular season conference wins in a row.  Coach Wickenhauser was part of a staff that led Maryville to four appearances in the NCAA Div. III National Tournament.

Coach Wickenhauser also spent a season as the head varsity girls basketball coach at Barat Academy High School in 2008-2009.

The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Coach Will on March 27, 2011, 12:37:31 AM
Quote from: hopefan on March 23, 2011, 07:09:11 AM
ooops... thought coach Will went to Augie, but when I checked his bio, I find it was North Park... My mistake....
Hope, you lost a bunch of cool points thinking and implying that I went to Auggie. I played for "The North PARK UNIVERSITY" I Played for the "Real Vikings" not the fake ones.

Amen and amen! ;)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Mr. Ypsi

To hold down the carnage, those of us at other CCIW schools prefer "East Vikings" and "West Vikings", rather than 'real' and 'fake'! ;D

"Lake Vikings" vs. "River Vikings" is also acceptable. :D

Otherwise, I fear a reversion to 9th century Vikings! :o

Pat Coleman

Quote from: hopefan on March 30, 2011, 05:04:04 PM
Very good hire

Perhaps, but never know what they would have gotten if they'd opened up the job. I spent some time last week answering questions about Fontbonne from a person with Division III head coaching experience who also went to two Final Fours as a player.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

hopefan

Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 31, 2011, 10:04:45 AM
Quote from: hopefan on March 30, 2011, 05:04:04 PM
Very good hire

Perhaps, but never know what they would have gotten if they'd opened up the job. I spent some time last week answering questions about Fontbonne from a person with Division III head coaching experience who also went to two Final Fours as a player.

Yes, of course you may be right Pat.... but the fellow they hired is seasoned and knows the area well...  his time with Maryville was likely good time spent learning both coaching and recruiting skills in a winning program.... and believe me, Fontbonne would not be a very attractive job  for anyone outside the St Louis area, as it is very likely a less than full time position.....I've heard tell $$$$ at Fontbonne are tough to come by.....

Pat Coleman

Yeah, it's not FT, I checked. The person I was talking to has STL ties, though.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Denny McKinney

It's a Great hire. Coach Wick has been with program almost 2 years. FU had a good freshmen class. That he helped recruit. The biggest plus is Transition. This was one good decision.

Coach Will

Quote from: hopefan on March 30, 2011, 06:24:41 AM
Coach Will says... "I actually don't like sitting by the loud mouth fans"

Wow... do I ever agree with that...  (no critique on any of my Webster fan friends, though)     But I have complained about that behavior more than one time on these pages...

wooo checked out Piasa SW... Great Season...finish at 26-5... somebody is really impressing defense with that team... they gave up 40 or more only 5 times all season, 50 or more only once!!!  and Gabby Williams 16 points and 7 boards per game.... but just like her dad, leads the team in Fouls.... :D....  Aggressive... gotta love it.....
Thanks for the Plug for her Hope: I was disappointed that she did not make all state: scored 500 points and 220 rebs. Lost in Super-sectionals in double overtime. She is working hard with me, as she is playing AAU for me, and she is going to be even better.
And before you ask Hope, she has assured me that she will never play for me at Blackburn...LOL

hopefan

I know a D3 school in Michigan she might like!!! :D :D :D

y_jack_lok

Quote from: hopefan on April 01, 2011, 10:04:32 AM

Or maybe she can get a scholarship to play at a higher level.

Wydown Blvd.

Quote from: y_jack_lok on April 02, 2011, 06:09:14 PM

Or maybe she can get a scholarship to play at a higher level.

Or she can get an awesome education and experience at that St. Louis school in the AAU ;)

Wydown Blvd.

Thoughts and prayers go out to the family of Coach McKinney.

Coach Will

HOPE, I am willing to bet that she will not be playing D-3...just a hunch though...wink, wink! Mr. Ypsi, Carthage hired the North Park coach, as Bosko coached me over at North Park. BTW, I meant no disrespect to anyone from Auggie, as Auggie is a great school. Every school in the CCIW is a great school. I just like giving Auggie crap.

y_jack_lok

Quote from: Wydown Blvd. on April 04, 2011, 12:06:06 PM

Or she can get an awesome education and experience at that St. Louis school in the AAU ;)

Did you mean to say UAA?

Wydown Blvd.

Quote from: y_jack_lok on April 05, 2011, 02:37:04 PM
Quote from: Wydown Blvd. on April 04, 2011, 12:06:06 PM

Did you mean to say UAA?

Nope... google AAU (American Association of Universities) -- its an association of 63 leading public and private research universities in the United States and Canada and is very prestigious. Only in the UAA and Big 10 are all member universities also members of the AAU.

http://www.aau.edu/about/default.aspx?id=4020

My reference to the AAU is just symbolic of another reason why Coach Will's daughter should get the best education possible... at a UAA school ;)