SLIAC

Started by watchdog, March 08, 2004, 02:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

furbug

Read for yourselves about the Lady Gorloks and what coach Olufson thinks at:

http://www.websterathletics.com/news/2008/11/3/WOMENSBASKETBALLSEASONPREVIEW200809.aspx

:o  ::)

SLIAC LEGEND

Very ho hum and typical coach speak. They were picked to finish 7th.  They don't look to have many athletes, and who will score besides their best returner?

I saw Blackburn play U of I Springfield and they did ok for this early. 

y_jack_lok

Quote from: SLIAC LEGEND on November 05, 2008, 02:58:35 PM
Very ho hum and typical coach speak. They were picked to finish 7th.  They don't look to have many athletes, and who will score besides their best returner?

I saw Blackburn play U of I Springfield and they did ok for this early. 

Lots of unknowns about this Webster team. But I don't know on what basis you say "they don't look to have many athletes". As to who will score, we'll find out soon enough.

HCACBBALL

At this point there are alot of unknowns around the conference.  I think the only one we know of sure is Maryville.  We have not heard alot about Fontbonne.  I wonder how their recruiting went.  I can see Blackburn giving Maryville a good game later in the year but for right now there is no reason to believe anyone will be them again this year.

I would also look for a good year from Greenville.  They had a pretty good recruiting class.

jdoug2

Maryville obviously remains the favorite. Fontbonne lost a great deal of scoring, but there are still 4 returning players that can put up some points. My niece is so buried in school she hasn't been able to give me a scouting report on the new players.
Go GRIFFINS

furbug

Exciting game to watch today - WU lost to Wisconsin-Platteville 84-95. I think the Lady Gorloks will be a force in the conference once again. Yjak and furbug were there. Read about it at:

http://www.websterathletics.com/news/2008/11/15/WBB_1115081042.aspx

y_jack_lok

Quote from: SLIAC LEGEND on November 05, 2008, 02:58:35 PM

Webster scored 84 points. Several players with solid shooting skills. Some pure basketball players on the team. The upside potential for this team is excellent, especially given that they started three freshmen and a sophomore. Great job by the coach in the first game of his head coaching career.

fcnews

Got to see this years version of the Lady Griffins at "Late Nite".
Freshmen pt. guard Kaitlin Bramble (Rolla) is a heck of a player. Her and Fr. Kendra Schili (Perryville) got a late start due to soccer. But will really contribute. Jdoug's Lauren is nursing a sore ankle. Problem is FU's bigs have been hit by the injury bug. This will really hurt them this weekend.

Good Stuff on Webster.

gottaluvhoops

Sorry I don't follow this board much but I was just trying to get some information on Fontbonne.  Expanding my horizons :) .  I am going to try and head down from Southern MN to catch the Wartburg Tournament.  Should be two fun games on Saturday.

y_jack_lok

fcnews is the go to guy for info on Fontbonne, but he mostly posts on the men's board. You might go there and post a request for him to give you some info. However the post right above yours is about Fontbonne.

jdoug2

My niece won't be playing for Fontbonne this weekend. She has not been cleared to play because of the ankle.
Go GRIFFINS

y_jack_lok

In spite of giving up 95 and 97 points in their first two games, I think there is reason to be optimistic about the Lady Gorloks. They have averaged scoring 75 points in the two games so far. The previous two years it was exciting if they could put more than 60 points on the board. The game they lost yesterday was to a #5 ranked NAIA team that was something like 24-6 last year. In the first game they started three freshmen a sophomore and a senior. In the second game they started three freshmen and two sophomores. Looking at the roster and the performance in two games it is conceivable that they could be starting five freshmen later in the season, or maybe four freshmen and one upperclassman, either a sophomore or the lone senior. There are no juniors on the team.

Today's game and Tuesday's game will be interesting as I thnk they are against weaker competition than the first two games. Of particular interest will be how Webster plays defense and if they can keep weaker teams from scoring.

y_jack_lok

Webster and Coach O get their first win today 59-56 over Marian University from Fond du Lac, WI. Congratulations!

jdoug2

Fontbonne has 2 losses to start the year.

Here's hoping they get healthy and come back strong beginning in December.
Go GRIFFINS

y_jack_lok

Does Fontbonne have injuries/health problems other than Lauren's ankle?

As for the two losses, UW-Oshkosh plays in the WIAC which is one of the stronger D3 women's conferences, although Oshkosh had a losing season last year. Benedictine was 13-13 last year in a conference that is not as strong as the WIAC, but stronger than the SLIAC.

From the schedule it looks like Fontbonne has games against some other pretty strong non-conference teams -- Illinois Wesleyan ranked #10 pre-season and just got through knocking of #3 DePauw and #6 Wash U, Illinois College, Millikin the 2005 D3 champs, Wash U, and Hawaii Pacific which I know nothing about. I wouldn't expect Fontbonne to come out of that with more than one or two wins, if any