MBB: Northwest Conference

Started by The Show, March 06, 2005, 08:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cciwrules

i have been listening to this game on a webcast,and the Illinois Wesleyan announcers said right before halftime that the top 4 teams in the cciw are better than pugent sound

big_al

Ya, I heard that comment too.

A pretty Bias and Cocky comment to make when you've only seen a team play for a half.

Sounds like they might take a few of those comments back this second half (or they should)

blackhawks4

UPS scared IWU to death in the second half.  It was a 6 point game with 4 to play.  UPS was up 14 points in the second half until the end when they got desperate.  The announcers talked about how bad UPS was in the first half, and did a 180 in the second half saying how deserving of the #5 ranking UPS was, and "We might see these guys again in March," and "Now we're seeing this team."

It sounded like UPS didn't bring the same intensity in the first half as the second.  They got great games out of their two hacks Curtiss and McVey (despite the usual foul trouble) but that's about it.  McVey had 26-12-3 and 3 blocks.  There is no way he's not an All American at the end of the year.   

It sounds to me like IWU is very good and very experienced.  My impression is that a young UPS team would have to play nearly perfect to knock these guys off.

But remember, come March you don't have to be the best team to win the national championship, you just have to be better than your opponenet 1 night of the year.

I wish UPS could play more games like this! Against ranked teams.  Now I have to fight off boredom for two months as UPS walks its way to another conference championship.

David Collinge

As an unbiased observer (actually a little biased in UPS' favor), I don't think UPS is among the five best teams in the nation, and they didn't look good at all in the first half.  I don't think it was a question of intensity; it was a question of playing a team that was bigger, stronger, faster, and more poised than the Loggers.  I've see UPS play twice now (also against Behrend at Caltech) and from that admittedly small sample size I'd guess that it's not uncommon that they look better in the 2nd half.  The gameplan seems to be to harass the opponent and tire them out, and take advantage of their relative freshness in the last 10 minutes.  That worked against Behrend, who had none of the advantages that IWU had, and it almost worked against IWU.  I expect it works very well against inferior opponents, perhaps what they face in conference play (going only on reputation, no offense intended.) 

UW-Stout plays a very similar defensive style, and does it better than UPS.  (I saw them play Wooster and St. Thomas, so I have a frame of reference.)  Pluse, Stout's offense is considerably more threatening than UPS'.  So there's one team at least that I think belongs higher in the rankings than the Loggers.

I gained a lot of respect for the UPS coaches when I saw how intense and focused UPS was to start the second half.  They were beaten pretty badly in the first, and looked beaten.  But the coaches got them fired up again, and that was a big factor in getting them back into the game.  Kudos also to the small contingent of UPS fans (smaller than the group at the Caltech tourney--I wonder why?) who were very vocal and helped keep the team's intensity up.

UPS may very well be there in March.  As blackhawsks4 says, they'll probably win their conference with ease.  I'd not be surprised to see them get a first round bye and then draw the winner of a first-round game between Chapman and the SCIAC champ, and that should be an easy win for UPS.  Then they'd get into the mix with the WIAC, MIAC, and maybe CCIW teams.  It would be very interesting to see the Loggers match up with UW-Stout in the tourney.  That would be one frenetic game!

diehardfan

Hii... I believe this is my first post on this board... despite having recently seen the Loggers defeat PSB in an interesting matchup at Cal Tech.

Greetings from inside the gym affectionately known as the kitchen where I am having a little too much fun with my new Treo650.

In the consolation game today, Whitman defeated Mount Union in York, PA in overtime by a score of 98-90.

The score got to within 2 quickly in the 8-5:35 mark (though Whitman had been ahead by 8ish for most of the second half) ... then Mt Union went up with 2 and change... Whitman quickly took back the lead but the game was tied on a last second shot my Mount Union and the game went into OT. Whitman pulled this one out as they gradually gained a comfortable lead in OT thanks to fts... though they technically really should have won in regulation.

Well... a win is a win :)

I wasn't expecting to be impressed... because all the rest of the nation talks about is Puget Sound, but was pleasently surprised... congrats to the "missionaries" on their win today.
Wait, dunks are only worth two points?!?!!!? Why does anyone do them? - diehardfan
What are Parkers now supposed to chant after every NP vs WC game, "Let's go enjoy tobacco products off-campus? - Gregory Sager
We all read it, but we don't take anything you say seriously - Luke Kasten

RIP WheatonC

polek2

Ok so I am a College basketball Junky!  Played D III ball in the midwest yada yada yada.  Anyways I know live in Portland and need to get my fix of hoops.  What team/gym do you recommend watching good quality basketball at?  I just want to enjoy watching good Basketball!  Please help me out, I am starting to get the shivers without my fix!

piofan

Polek2-

You have a lot of options.  DI ball is at Portland State and U. of Portland.  D3 ball with Lewis and Clark in SW Portland and Pacific in Forest Grove (there are a few more within a 30-45 minute driving distance).  NAIA with Concordia, Warner Pac and Cascade.

The D3 teams are pretty decent to watch.  The NAIA guys are in one of the best conferences in D2 NAIA in the nation.  If you want to watch one of the best players, look for Corbon College.  They have a post player leading the nation in scoring.

This is just simple college scene. You also have access to good HS ball with Jesuit and Lake Oswego (again, just to name a few).  LO has one of the top high school recruits in the nation, his name is Love and he is a beast!!!

The D3's play on Friday and Saturday nights, look for when Puget Sound is back in town again. They are one of the best in the nation. Go to nwcsports.com to get more info on their exact schedules........

big_al

polek2,

If your looking for a great game soon, check out next friday night. UPS is back and they are gonna be getting their biggest home game challenge for the season play (that is if you push under the rug that upset by Warner Pac)

The Bruins who gave the Loggers thier only conference loss last year are coming to town, so if you don't mind the drive, you should wander on up there if you have the time, it's gonna be a good game.

blackhawks4

Very interesting post by david collinge.  I think you're right, UPS should have no problem getting to the sweet 16 (with a first round bye and a win over a sciac).  How are their chances against teams from the midwest?  The last 2 years the loggers have run into the national champ, I'm curious to hear how you think they stack up.  In your opinion, where would UPS place in another conference?

David Collinge

The first round bye is not a given; the tournament expansion (to 59 teams) means only 5 teams will get byes.  My guess is that UPS would get a bye for geography reasons, but there's a myriad of scenarios where that doesn't happen. 

As far as how UPS would stack up in other (presumably midwestern) conferences, that'd be just a guessing game.  However, they've played the best breadbasket teams in each of the past three years (UWSP, UWSP, IWU) and are 0-3 in those games.  UPS's style is unlike what most heartland teams encounter, and if nothing else that unfamiliarity could produce wins.  UW-Stout and, to a lesser extent, John Carroll play the same style of defense, so WIAC and OAC teams might be better prepared for the Loggers than teams from the CCIW, NCAC, or MIAA (for example.)  On balance, I think UPS would be at least a top-tier team in any Midwest or Great Lakes conference. 

Midwest: I don't think UPS would win this year's CCIW race, but they'd at least be competitive in the race for second (with the likes of Elmhurst, Augustana, and North Central).  I personally don't think they'd win the WIAC or MIAC, either, since I've seen UW-Stout and St. Thomas and think they're both marginally better than the Loggers.  They'd be in the race in the HCAC with Transylvania, Hanover, and Franklin.  I don't know enough about the MWC this year to comment.  They'd win the NIIC most years, and the LMC and SLIAC every year.

Great Lakes:  I think they'd finish behind Wooster and Wittenberg in the NCAC, and behind Hope, Albion, and perhaps Calvin in the MIAA.  It'd be very interesting to see them in the OAC, which is a rough-and-tumble, "any given Sunday" kind of league.  They could win it, and they could finish 6th.  UPS would win the AMCC (Behrend's conference), and dominate the Presidents AC.

Of the D3 teams I've seen play this season, I'd put UPS behind IWU and Wooster, and about equivalent to UW-Stout and St. Thomas.  I'm going to see Amherst tomorrow.

Happy New Year to all.  I wish I could be in the beautiful northwest with you!

Mr. Ypsi

David,

I'll begin by acknowledging that I haven't seen any of the teams, but my impression from 'sifting' all the posts is that UPS would almost certainly be outclassed by Lawrence, but would be right in the mix for 2nd in the MWC.

And, of course, there is no guarantee that Lawrence will win the MWC - that's why they play the games!  But that's my take, for whatever it's worth.

David Collinge

Yspi, I just found out today that Lawrence was in Orange County (I guess I should say they were "in the O.C.," if I want to sound like a true Angelino!  ;)) last week.  I wish I'd known; Costa Mesa isn't the most convenient place to get to from the Valley (like, y'know), but I'd have made the trip to get a look at a top 10 team.  After all, Santa Barbara isn't convenient either, but I made that trip to see #1 play #5!

bearcatsfan3

Heading into a huge weekend in conference play...

GFox @ UPS:  Two teams split last year, with the home team winning both games. Should be interesting to see where the NWC lines up with UPS...they've been impressive, but have shown that they are beatable (WARNER PAC, and Ill-Wes) although both losses came against good teams...

Willamette @ Whitworth:  Great rivalry of late, with Whit getting the sweep last year.  Big early home game for pirates, as they already have one conference loss, and probabably would be fighting an uphill battle if they get their second this early

Willamette @ Whitman:  Whitman is a dangerous team...nice size, and they have some guards who can play (Ricker and Elliot)...although I'm sure there won't be a crowd (unless something has changed since my days in the nwc), its a tough place to play...

Bearcats have looked good in spurts this year, and with John Olinger and Stuvland shooting the way they have, look capable of being a contender all year...looking at the region records, they're currently 5-0 in the West...

Contrary to the blackhawks claim, looks like the race should be fun to watch all year long...

Himjay23

Good post Bearcats, it's nice to see someone posting about the goings-on in the league at this point. I think there has been a little too much talk about UPS and not enough about the rest of the league. The Fox-UPS game should be a great one though. It will be interesting to see if the Fox guards can get hot from outside. If they do, and Szalay and Parker can rebound the ball, then I think they can pull the upset. That's a big "if" though, especially in Tacoma.  Also, if the bearcats can sweep the Washington trip, that would be big and it would set up 2 HUGE games at home vs. UPS and Fox on the 20th and 21st. Should be fun to watch!

blackhawks4

I said it all last year and now all this year, there is no race for first in the NWC.  Willamette and Fox each have a shot on the road and thats it.  Fox scares me a little.  There is the conference tourney this year though so at least that will make things exciting for the other mediocre teams.  Its a race between Fox, Willamette and Whitworth for the other 2 spots.  I'd expect fox to go 12-4 and willamette 10-6 and whitworth and L/C 9-7.

The only thing more pathetic than the UPS first half last night against PLU was PLU.  Are they still rebuilding?  If they can't beat Pacific or Linfield I don't know if they'll get one in the NWC.

Zack McVey shot 10-12 last night for 30.  Something good happens everytime he touches the ball.  He caught a one handed alley oop off the inbounds play and dunked on 3 Lutes.  Jason Foster and Taylor Marsh looked good as well.

Hate to see Whitworth lose 2 to SCIAC teams.

Willamette looks like they've played some competition this year (just based off school reputations), and its always a tough place to play