FB: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1837Tigers

Game summary - http://globalfootball.com/team-stars-stripes-win-tazon-de-estrellas-29-7/#more-1747

Rushing              No Gain Loss  Net TD Lg  Avg
-------------------------------------------------
Nikko Sansone        20  131    4  127  1 55  6.3

http://www.onusports.com/sports/fball/2013-14/releases/20131221e3x91j

smedindy

The university where I work now hired a former Kenyon College OC as its new head coach. Since leaving Kenyon, he was OC at Baldwin Wallace and then most recently he was the OC at D-2 juggernaut St. Cloud State.

As the stats guy, I'd better buckle up! He wants to go fast.

His three years at Kenyon included the 'wilderness year' in 2003, and his last year in 2005 they went 6-4, 6-1 in the NCAC and moved the ball well if I remember, though they didn't play Wabash and Witt that season.

http://wildcatsports.com/news/2013/12/26/FB_1226134937.aspx

formerd3db

Quote from: smedindy on December 26, 2013, 10:45:51 PM
The university where I work now hired a former Kenyon College OC as its new head coach. Since leaving Kenyon, he was OC at Baldwin Wallace and then most recently he was the OC at D-2 juggernaut St. Cloud State.

As the stats guy, I'd better buckle up! He wants to go fast.

His three years at Kenyon included the 'wilderness year' in 2003, and his last year in 2005 they went 6-4, 6-1 in the NCAC and moved the ball well if I remember, though they didn't play Wabash and Witt that season.

http://wildcatsports.com/news/2013/12/26/FB_1226134937.aspx

Congrats for him.  I remember seeing his name when he was in the Mid-west (Kenyon and B-W).  I'm sure it is a great opportunity for him returning to his home area.

BTW, didn't realize you were out there also.  Anyway, Happy New Year and all God's blessings to you for 2014.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

bashgiant

Any word on possible Wabash recruits, new coaches, anything? Is it September yet?  ??? ??? ???

wally_wabash

Longtime Wabash head coach and Hall of Fame member Greg Carlson has announced his retirement from coaching.  Coach Carlson won 112 games at Wabash in his 18 years and led the Little Giants through their transition to the NCAC.  After a brief stint at Whittier, Coach Carlson became the first coach in St. Scholastica history.  In his six years at St. Scholastica, Coach Carlson as taken the Saints from nothing (quite literally) to three straight tournament appearances (2011-2013).  Impressive stuff.  Congratulations and many thanks to Coach Carlson for his contribution to Wabash and college football over his 30+ year career!
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

wally_wabash

Real live football news!  Oberlin has removed the interim from Jay Anderson's title and have named him as their new head coach. Congratulations to Coach Anderson and best of luck to the Yeomen going forward. 

I know we keep a pretty tight eye on Oberlin's roster numbers...the article does say that Coach Anderson and his staff have secured 15 student-athletes in the early admissions season.  Hopefully there are 15 more or so coming this spring. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

wally_wabash

Just saw that former Wooster beast LB Seth Duerr has been announced as the new head coach at Beloit.  Deurr has been an assistant for about ten years now, doing time as DC at both Wooster and Tiffin.  Good to see the Deurricane get a shot at running a program. 

bashbrother

So the NCAC Rules Committee, just has to keep tinkering, they need to stop on many of the changes.  Here is my take on two of their proposed changes for 2014.

1.  Hurry Up and Wait -  Offenses that snap the ball before 29 seconds remain on the play clock would receive a 5-yard delay-of-game penalty???   Rule also states that "The committee's proposal would allow defensive players to substitute within the first 10 seconds of the 40-second play clock, except for the final two minutes of each half."   

Ridiculous and kind of an oximoron - delay of game for going too fast. 

2.  Targeting rule -  The committee also proposes removing a 15-yard penalty when replay officials overturn a targeting disqualification foul, as long as no other penalty is called on the play. The initial targeting policy stated that even if a targeting penalty is overturned and a player avoided an ejection, his team still would receive a 15-yard penalty.   The proposal also states that in games where replay isn't available, officials may review targeting fouls in the first half during halftime if leagues and teams agree and video is available in the officials' locker room. Targeting calls then could be reversed and the ejected player could return in the second half.

I think this is smart at all levels.  Hopefully the Mighty NCAC will allow video in the locker rooms at halftime... It is the right thing to! do  #freehouston

Bottom line,  instead of rushing to launch rules, they need to do their homework and make sure it works... errr really works (#  healthcare.   gov) before they launch it on the sport we love.

Why should you go for it on 4th down?

"To overcome the disappointment of not making it on third down." -- Washington State Coach Mike Leach

wally_wabash

Quote from: bashbrother on February 13, 2014, 02:37:27 PM
So the NCAC Rules Committee, just has to keep tinkering, they need to stop on many of the changes.  Here is my take on two of their proposed changes for 2014.

1. Hurry Up and Wait -  Offenses that snap the ball before 29 seconds remain on the play clock would receive a 5-yard delay-of-game penalty???   Rule also states that "The committee's proposal would allow defensive players to substitute within the first 10 seconds of the 40-second play clock, except for the final two minutes of each half."  Claiming safety here is like the NSA claiming National Security to track Grandma Jones

Ridiculous and kind of an oximoron - delay of game for hurry up. 

I don't think this really has a lot of traction.  First, where is the data that would suggest players are getting hurt by tempo offenses not allowing defenses to substitute?  I think they need data on that.  Second, if the deal is that tempo offenses equals more snaps equals more opportunity for injury, then isn't the easier solution to just shorten the length of the game?  Dial it back to 12 or 13-minute quarters and then just let offenses run the way they want.  Third, how on earth do you enforce this?  A true delay of game penalty is often butchered (see it at least once every single game...play clock hits zero, pause, ball is snapped, no penalty).  Officials don't accurately track the snap vs. a play clock that has stopped moving- why would we assume they could accurately track a snap vs. a moving clock?  I really don't know how you would enforce this other than having the umpire stand over the ball and physically prevent it from being snapped until enough time has elapsed so that Alabama's a team's defense has had ample time to substitute and align itself.  Maybe someday we'll see something like this rule, but I can't see it happening for 2014 and probably not even in 2015 when non-safety rules updates are scheduled to go live. 

Quote from: bashbrother on February 13, 2014, 02:37:27 PM
2.  Targeting rule -  The committee also proposes removing a 15-yard penalty when replay officials overturn a targeting disqualification foul, as long as no other penalty is called on the play. The initial targeting policy stated that even if a targeting penalty is overturned and a player avoided an ejection, his team still would receive a 15-yard penalty.   The proposal also states that in games where replay isn't available, officials may review targeting fouls in the first half during halftime if leagues and teams agree and video is available in the officials' locker room. Targeting calls then could be reversed and the ejected player could return in the second half.

I think this is smart at all levels.  Hopefully the Mighty NCAC will allow video in the locker rooms at halftime... It is the right thing to! do  #freehouston

Bottom line,  instead of rushing to launch rules, they need to do their homework and make sure it works... errr really works (#  healthcare.   gov) before they launch it on the sport we love.

This is dandy for FBS, but here in D-III we're still stuck with limited video access and limited replay angles for the places that are doing video.  And we're also stuck with crews that maybe shouldn't be being asked to make those decisions in the first place.  This, I expect will happen for 2014 because it just makes logical sense (replay can exonerate a player called for targeting, but there's still a yardage penalty enforced? Silly.), but I don't think it'll have really any impact here in D-III. 

DPU3619

The issue is how to get video to the locker rooms. Would that be the home team's responsibility? Teams have enough issues finding people just to film the games for their purposes from the box and the lift. The Hodges Zapruder film was from an actual broadcast, and I still don't think the quality was good enough to be able to definitively tell whether it was or wasn't targeting. I don't see how ANY call could be overturned if it's from the All-22 film on some monitor (of possibly dubious quality) during a brief halftime.

EDIT: Also, the tempo thing is dumb. If injuries were an issue, offensive guys would be suffering fatigue injuries, as well. They aren't. Line your 11 up to my 11 and let's go. It's already in the rules that if the offense subs, the defense has to have adequate time to sub. There's a good read on Football Scoop about Bielema being the guy pushing for this.

ADL70

This article has a different version of Ramsey's departure than previously reported:

http://oberlinreview.org/4638/sports/assistant-coach-replaces-ramsey/

"...Jeff Ramsey was relieved of his duties as head football coach following a disappointing 3–7 season."
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

bashbrother

Could it be cloaked financial reason?   Does the "hurry up offense" hurt advertising revenues, by making the games shorter?   Do they make games shorter? 
Why should you go for it on 4th down?

"To overcome the disappointment of not making it on third down." -- Washington State Coach Mike Leach

DPU3619

Quote from: bashbrother on February 13, 2014, 05:53:57 PM
Could it be cloaked financial reason?   Does the "hurry up offense" hurt advertising revenues, by making the games shorter?   Do they make games shorter?

I've always believed the opposite. Spread teams tend to work the sidelines more (particularly in the passing game) than pro style teams, which stops the clock more often and lengthens the game. That's not universally true, but that's the general idea behind the spread. You want to make the defense work the entire width of the field with outside routes in the passing game, which allows you more room to run inside. Making tempo teams stand there while the play clock runs but the game clock does not is silly. There's all the talk from the NCAA about trying to shorten games. This is totally counterproductive to that.

My other issue is this: where does being down 14 with 5 minutes to go fall? Do I still have to wait? Isn't that a 2 minute situation for me? What about being down 21 with 9 left?

Also, the top 16 scoring teams in FBS were spread teams that ran up-tempo at least some of the time: Baylor, FSU, Ohio St, Oregon, TAMU, Fresno St, Marshall, ECU, Clemson, AzSt, NIU, Auburn, Mizzou, OKSt, Ball St, Indiana. Bama is 17th. Now, the more touchdowns you score, the breaks there are, right? The more breaks there are, the more ads you can sell. I suppose that's true of any change of possession including punts, but, other than DCs, who wants to watch teams punt more? I don't think the NCAA wants more punts.

From an ad revenue perspective, the fewer 15 play drives that take 7+ minutes of game clock there are, the better, right? Does the NCAA really want to encourage teams to go away from the spread?

smedindy

Quote from: ADL70 on February 13, 2014, 05:50:51 PM
This article has a different version of Ramsey's departure than previously reported:

"...Jeff Ramsey was relieved of his duties as head football coach following a disappointing 3–7 season."

Hmmm...it is a student newspaper.

I'm flummoxed that they let 'roll of head coach' past the editor. It IS Oberlin...

Pat Coleman

Quote from: smedindy on February 14, 2014, 11:39:36 AM
Quote from: ADL70 on February 13, 2014, 05:50:51 PM

Hmmm...it is a student newspaper.

I'm flummoxed that they let 'roll of head coach' past the editor. It IS Oberlin...

Clearly the editing there is dicey. Perhaps the reporting is as well.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.