NESCAC

Started by LaPaz, September 11, 2011, 05:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blooter442

WOW. Didn't get to see the Tufts game yesterday, but two fantastic goals from Halliday -- the first one especially. https://www.instagram.com/p/BbFvjI3FAEE/?taken-by=tuftsmenssoccer

blooter442

Midd. gets a good shot less than 40 seconds in...goes off Weatherbie and out for a corner.

Panthers have another shot wide left soon after. Fast start from the visitors.

blooter442

Mieth forced into a good save by the header from Goulart...I thought it was creeping in far post. I think Middlebury stole Tufts' Wheaties this morning.

blooter442

Zinner goes on a nice run before being dispossessed at the edge of the box. Tufts with some nice on-the-ground possession.

blooter442

Rojas plays a nice outside-of-the-boot ball, which gets cut out, and then 30 seconds later makes a really nice tackle which takes the man but gets the ball.

OH NO THE TUFTS MOTHER WHO DOES THE BIRD CALL IS HERE. I thought her son graduated?! No idea who it is, but I recall a Tufts poster saying her son was a senior in 2014.

blooter442

Rojas plays Halliday in but Yeager just gets there before Halliday.

blooter442

"Halliday trying to say that was shoulder-to-shoulder, but he might have to take an anatomy class because that was the back of Audet." I like this announcer, he has been good so far. He then talks about how he got sunburnt yesterday. I did as well. #IrishProblems

As well as he has done, I might have to turn the sound off -- that bird call is too annoying.

blooter442

In another forum, there was talk about the discrepancy between clocks used on online broadcasts and the time clock situated next to the field. In this game, it's exactly a minute.

blooter442

Tufts cranking up the pressure, but still 0-0 with around 5 left in the second half.

Brother Flounder

Quote from: blooter442 on November 05, 2017, 01:44:14 PM
Tufts cranking up the pressure, but still 0-0 with around 5 left in the second half.

Nice gol by Rojas...

blooter442

Breakthrough with 2:45 left as Rojas with a flicked header from Lane's cross. 1-0 Jumbos, and the jersey comes off for Rojas. Rather humorously, it looked for a minute like Rojas forgot about his shirt and was prepared to walk back to the halfway line, but he got both it and a yellow from the ref -- but he won't care.

Middlebury lining up the hail mary kitchen sink from the kickoff. Middlebury almost replied in the last minute after a long throw got flicked on by a Tufts player, but O'Grady headed wide.

And Tufts wins the NESCAC title -- first in its history. Congrats to the Jumbos, who have undoubtedly been the best team in the NESCAC this year.

PaulNewman

Tufts may lose next week (doubt it) but can't resist pointing out I was just about the only poster here who was on to Tufts before the season even started. They so far are actually in the midst of their best season out of the past 5-6 seasons. Shapiro has turned an attractive D3 school into like a D1 soccer program, and even from the video series we see now and last year's final 4 video the players obviously love their program.

1970s NESCAC Player

Quote from: PaulNewman on November 05, 2017, 01:57:37 PM
Tufts may lose next week (doubt it) but can't resist pointing out I was just about the only poster here who was on to Tufts before the season even started. They so far are actually in the midst of their best season out of the past 5-6 seasons. Shapiro has turned an attractive D3 school into like a D1 soccer program, and even from the video series we see now and last year's final 4 video the players obviously love their program.

This is definitely true.

letsGOswans!

Ahh, can't be too optimistic about my Camels getting their first bid in history :(. Seems like bowdoin, midd, Amherst, and others from other conferences are ahead of them for that pool c. Would be a tall task even getting a fourth bid , let alone a fifth.

SoccerMom_5

Quote from: Clotpoll on November 05, 2017, 09:21:50 AM
Scholastic soccer...the perfect place for managers to:

1. Take chances to try and score goals.
2. Keep the ball and manipulate it to move defenses.
3. Entertain the crowd.

What does virtually every NCAA manager (all levels) do? Set up to avoid mistakes. At least 6 behind the ball in possession, bunker after scoring, booming clearances, very little buildup thru the 1/3s.

Hugo Perez was our most influential (and best) youth NT manager in the '98-'00 age groups: the same ages of current NCAA sophs, freshmen and HS seniors. Hugo was an enormous (and successful) advocate of always playing on the front foot, having plenty of the ball, taking chances and most of all, allowing players to relax, have fun and go at the goal. Quite obvious now why he was let go by US Soccer. The way our managers want to play is dull, reactive and frankly, cynical.

We now have a form of the game that rewards farmers at every level, from town team, to NCAA, MLS and USMNT.

Speaking of National Teams and wishing for high-powered offense...    A former player who used to club-pass up with one of my teams during my last year doing club soccer scored in Germany this weekend.  You and Mr. Right both probably would have liked that game; US Girls 15s rolled Germany 6-1 in an international friendly.   On average, that is a goal like every eleven(ish) minutes or so...    LOL.