WBB: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, March 17, 2005, 02:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finnman

McM wins again...74-52 over SRSU...glad to get that road trip over with.

dballa

I just can't explain the shooting woes that HPU is going through right now.  They are getting so many open shots and not converting. Plus today they had at least 6 or 7 that just rolled around the rim and went out.  Very unfortunate.  Definitely a game that shouldn't have been lost.  Take away my karma points for what i'm saying i don't care, but thats a game HPU shouldn't have lost.

Maybe a few road games will help them get their focus back.

inthepaint

Quote from: dsc on January 14, 2006, 03:52:04 PM
Final:

HSU over HPU  51-48

Late in the game the score was 46-37 HPU!!!

Unbelievable comeback!!!

Congratulations to the Cowgirls!!! :)

Amazing!  Congratulations Cowgirls!  I would love to say I believed in you all along but I had huge faith issues! 

This HSU team is hard to predict.  That HPU team is too!  In years past I always felt the deciding factor between the two was coaching but I think that went out the window last year.  For those of you who were at the game (s), is Dballa's perspective that the losses should be attributed to HPU's poor shooting right on target or is something else at play here?  Is coaching, conditioning, heart, hustle, confidence, discipline, or anything else an obvious factor.

McM is the team to beat.  HSU and HPU are going to fight to the end for that second place in the west!  Should be an exciting finish to the regular season!

Ralph Turner

Way to go, Lady Indians!

Great game by everyone!  Good minutes from all players.

I was pleased with the team play that we saw from the myriad of combinations that Coaches Nichols and Densman put on the floor.

The stats do not reflect all of the performances, including steals, turnovers and assists, so McMurry fans, don't read too much into the stat sheet.

The team should be happy with the progress that they are making.  As good as this win feels, each player knows what she needs to do to improve...more "lift" on your shots and free throws, crisper passes, better position on rebounding and defense.

Get back into the routine of classes and ball next week.  One game at a time!

calhsu

The season has come down to four  teams.  HPU is in real trouble.  MC and MCM are a lock for the regular season championships.  HSU has to beat the two teams it lost to.   The game at home against McMurry is only about pride.  Even if HSU wins they have two conference losses.  For HSU it would be a confidence builder.  A loss for the Indians  is only important for a perfect season.
It is all about the playoffs.

Is it to early to say I was right in the begining of the season about the haves an have nots.   The top four teams are untouched in both conferences.

sethhpu

I will agree with Dballa's view of the game. I have never seen HPU shoot that bad before. A lot of open looks were missed and like he said some were going in and rimmed out. If the girls had hit shots the game agaisnt McMurry would have been competitive and if they had hit shots agaisnt Hardin-Simmons they would have won. I think they hit a grand total of 2 three pointers in the two games behind. But the bright side is we still have time before the conference tourney to find our touch.
Defense wins championships

sethhpu

Quote from: sethhpu on January 15, 2006, 06:48:42 PM
I will agree with Dballa's view of the game. I have never seen HPU shoot that bad before. A lot of open looks were missed and like he said some were going in and rimmed out. If the girls had hit shots the game agaisnt McMurry would have been competitive and if they had hit shots agaisnt Hardin-Simmons they would have won. I think they hit a grand total of 2 three pointers in the two games COMBINED. But the bright side is we still have time before the conference tourney to find our touch.
Sorry about the confusion
Defense wins championships

Ralph Turner

How about mid-season assessments.

I think that we have 3 of the Top 6 South Region teams, McM, Miss Coll, and HSU.  The women's selection committee will rank the top 6 women's teams. (The men will rank 8.)

Who will be the four ASC tourney participants from each division?

Ralph Turner

How about this ASC fans!

http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?lg=cbw&sub=III&mid=6

McM #1
MC  #2
HSU #14
HPU #29

Kinda fun what a computer program can spit out! ;)

fanstand

Wow, that's pretty awesome. Kind of scary though. This is a time we could get relaxed and feel pretty good. We cannot afford to let our guard down or rest on our laurels.  I hope the Lady Indians continue to work hard and not change their work out habits.  This part of our schedule may look easy, but I am not relaxed about any game. We must bring it every time we step on the floor. We must continue to push each other and strive to get even better. I know some teams let up thinking they are coasting, but as we approach tournament time, we must be hungry. A record breaking year, the best ever is what we should be shooting for. Good Luck and work hard ladies, it's yours for the taking.

calhsu

Can't fool me.  Dr. Massey must be some computer teacher at McMurry.

Ron Boerger

What concerns me about the ASC teams, good as they are, is that they are pretty much playing only conference games.  The Masseys are very much subject to what I call the "WIAC effect" in this situation.

I think McM is the class of the state this year, but would like their postseason chances better if they were able to play some serious non-conference contenders.  Kudos for the trip to California, but those two games, and a game against SCAC mid-pack Southwestern,  are it.  The ASC schedule doesn't allow for a lot of non-conference play, and it's too bad that it costs so much for our teams to head up to the midwest or back east in order to play some of that stiff outside competition.  Compare, say, DePauw's non-conference schedule, to McM's.  DPU's only loss is by 1 point at 13-1 Washington U, a perennial championship contender.  They have lots of other wins against good D3 teams.  It helps being in the middle of the country, doesn't it?

I have read on a couple of boards that some teams let themselves get slaughtered by D-I teams in order to fund some of this travel in future years. 

mcmfan

Since the winner of the west doesn't host the conference tournament this year, winning the division has little payoff except seeding.  And with several closely-matched teams, that's not a big deal, either.  Last year, McM was 3rd seed in the west but still got to the tournament final.  So, while I would LOVE McM to remain undefeated, all I really care about is winning those three final tournament games.  Go Indians!
Alacumba!

inthepaint

Significant momentum going into the tournament would be another great benefit of winning your last regular season games.  Losses hurt!  Go by an HPU practice this week and ask them just how challenging it is to deal with the emotions of back-to-back losses at home!  The defending conference champs allowed the best home court advantage in the West to be lost last week.  Now they have to play teams that beat them in the Mausoleum on their home courts.  Momentum has certainly swung! 

dballa

They did win in Brownwood, but wasn't the same home crowd as in past games.  1500 people for the games combined instead of the normal 1800 to 2300 at a single HPU/McM HPU/HSU game in Brownwood isn't going to be as big a factor especially when half of that crowd is from the visiting team. 
So it wasn't quite the home court advantage as it usually is.  But don't forget HPU also blew out McMurry on their home court last year as well as winning easily in all their games in the conference tourney on HSU's floor. 

Once HPU gets their scoring back in line with how it was in the first semester they'll be right back in the race.