Eastern Collegiate Football Conference

Started by ccd494, August 24, 2009, 09:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d3fan142511

he will be the next John Smith if not better if he stays all 4 years. Might not get the same stats as Smith because Husson will be stepping up in competition but they will be close.

NED3Guy

Yup he's a good one.

Obviously playing the schedule they have this year will get him some big numbers, but to go for 4.8 per carry vs Union in his first college game, then 4.3 per carry vs WNE is a heck of a way to start things off. No matter who is on the schedule this year or in the future, this kid is going to be a good one.

That said, after this weekend he'll face teams giving up 204 (Dean), 203 (Alfred State), 252 (Anna Maria) and 225 (Castleton) yards rushing per game. Expect some crazy numbers for this kid in conference play.

NED3Guy

Conference play is upon us and we're starting things off with what may believe to be the de facto ECFC championship game between Husson and SUNY Maritime. This is not only the game of the week, but is the game of the year; likely determining the EFCF AQ (sorry Dean and Castleton).

Husson (1-2) @ SUNY (2-1)- Does looking good in defeat mean you're a good team? Husson got jumped on in week 1 by a Union team who has come out of the gates firing. At the time the Union loss created a "whats up with Husson" moment for some, but as we see more and more of that Union team, we start to see that week 1 outcome in a clearer light. A tight loss at home vs a 3-1 WNE team, and a blowout win vs first year University of New England sandwiched in between the two losses means we really have no idea what this Husson team is capable of. SUNY comes in having beaten two sub par teams (Maine and Mass Maritime), and losing a close one to a 3-0 team (USMMA)....end result of all these words I've typed is that I have NO CLUE what to expect in this one. Last year John Smith went off for 227 up in Bangor...Smith is gone, and this one is in NY, so we're taking SUNY winning this one 35-24. Thomas Wright will be the difference in this game, and will be the ECFC player of the week as a result.

Other games:

Dean hosts Alfred State- The more I learn about Dean, the better they might be. Lost to Curry in a game they really should have won. Then played WestConn in a much tighter game than expected. Despite the 0-2 start, the Bulldogs were trending upwards heading into their week 3 game vs Salve. Two failed 2pnt conversions left Dean trailing by 2 as time was running out, before a late Salve TD gave some breathing room. Last week Dean took care of Becker as expected...we expect the same to happen this weekend with Alfred...Dean 45-7...QB Watts - ECFC Rookie of the week

Gallaudet heads to Anna Maria- If I'm looking at the correct box score, Gallaudet rushed 50 time for 716 yards against the AMCATS last year on their way to putting 73 points on the board (but to their credit none in the 4th quarter). I know the rosters have both changed a lot, but those numbers are pretty wild. Has the 50 point (73-23) gap between these two teams closed enough since the day they met last year to make me think the AMCATS have a chance? These teams are closer matched than last years' result, but I don't think the AMCATS have it tomorrow. Gallaudet hasn't played in a while however (bye week plus a hurricane cancelled game leaves a 20 day break)...teams can grow a lot in 20 days, and I think Gallaudet gets it rolling in this one...GU 35-AMCATS 21

Castleton fills the Mustang Bye with Misericordia out of PA. I knew nothing about this team a few weeks ago, besides the fact that they went 1-9 last year....well after a 1 point win over Widener and a 2 point win over Wilkes; it's clear that Misericordia can play. Both those games could have gone either way, and without a few lucky bounces Mis could be an 0-3 team hosting the Spartans. Sparty hasn't played since the 40-0 rivalry loss to 1-3 Norwich. This Spartan team has a lot of talent on the roster with an experienced 3 year starter and all ECFC QB, a four year starter at RB who is one of the best RB's in the league, top WR back from last year, and a bunch of guys on D who have seen the field a lot over the past few years. I can't figure out why they've struggled so much vs Plymouth and Norwich....hopefully the bye week has given them the time to fix some things, and let their young oline gel a bit....even still this is a tough task ahead for Castleton...Misericordia 38-Castleton 24.

NED3Guy

Was off with my Husson v SUNY pick. One possession game with 9 minutes left, but SUNY was not able to finish the comeback and Husson adds the insurance score with 2 minutes left to head back up I-95 with a big win. Doesn't look like Husson freshman RB played....does anybody who was there have any info on this?

Everything else this week goes as expected. Dean v Alfred State box score makes the game seem like it should have been closer than the 18 point difference, but Dean causes 6 takeaways (4 INTs) and comes out on top. Dean QB, Watts, ends up being ECFC Offensive Player of the Week, instead of Rookie of the Week (as we predicted) but no matter what award he got, it's clear that he's a guy who can produce. Excited to see how he continues to grow throughout the remainder of the year....going from Alfred State to Husson will be a big step up. Really looking forward to Friday night. Dean has put up points all year, my guess is that a night game in Bangor creates a pretty awesome atmosphere...and hopefully a great webcast!

AMCATs allow GU to rush for 326 (cutting last year's number in half), including 151 from freshman Cassmeir Hutchinson (ECFC Rookie of the Week). Hutchinson had only carried the ball 9 times this season before Saturday, but got 10 carries this weekend. Have the Bison found their guy?...looks like the Bison have the Mustang Bye week this week, so we may have to wait a few weeks to find out. As for the AMCATS, based on their offensive production (7 points per game), it looks like the AMCATs have really struggled without their starting QB (he's in a cast based on the pictures zlax posted earlier...hope he gets well). AMCATS up in Vermont next weekend vs a CU team that has allowed a lot of points this year, maybe their luck changes. 

Castleton took it on the chin vs a very good Misericordia team. Castleton started a freshman at QB, as senior Mitch Caron didn't see the field (injured?). New kid goes 16-30, for 250 with 2TD an INT and 3 sacks. Castleton took advantage of a some big Misericordia mistakes to keep things tight in the first half (Blocked a punt to gain a short field, and recovered a punt snap in the endzone for a TD), but this was a mismatch from the start with Mis going over 500 yards of offense and 238 on the ground. Spartans host the Amcats next weekend. Mo Harris keeps Castleton relevant by being a threat to score every time he touches the ball....while he's been held in check for most of the season so far, the kickoff return he had Saturday shows he is still a dangerous playmaker. He should get 20+ touches this weekend vs a shotty AMCAT run defense.

ITH radio

We had some interviews with Husson and game clips in this week's "Crunchtime" segment:

https://www.facebook.com/D3Huddle/videos/295537417706693/
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

NED3Guy

Good news for ECFC fans-
Don't let anybody tell you you're the worst conference in D3 anymore...D3Football.com recently ranked the ECFC 25th out of 27 conferences nation wide!

25. Eastern Collegiate Football Conference

Kickoff ranking: 26
            Non-conference record: 5-19
            Signature win: Castleton 34, Fitchburg State 13

No team in the conference has a winning record. The most impressive performance was Husson's 31-28 loss to Western New England in a game that the Eagles should have won.

Bad news for ECFC fans- Castleton's win over 1-4 Fitchburg is seen as the ECFC's "Signature win" for the year.

Good news for fans of the Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference (ranked 26th) and the Upper Midwest Athletic Conference (ranked 27th)- Look on the bright side, Husson is leaving the ECFC after this year and upstart program Keystone College will be taking their place in 2020. Something tells me there may be a shakeup at the bottom of the D3 Conference totem pole soon enough....

NED3Guy

Now that I got that off my chest, it's time for the weekend preview-

Three games this weekend with Gallaudet on the Mustang Bye Week. Tomorrow's games don't really inspire much thought, but we'll do our best to put something out there-

SUNY vs Alfred State- SUNY took the first quarter off last weekend and it cost them badly. There's no way Coach DiG is gonna let his guys come out sleepy this weeekend. Alfred State played Dean much tougher than expected last week with a balanced offensive plan going for close to 400 yards (193 passing / 205 on the ground). Maybe they found something last weekend that they can rely on this week to give it a go and make a game of it....but I think a pissed off SUNY team comes out hot and never looks back- SUNY 48 - Alfred 14

Castleton v AMCATS- I don't know what to make of this one. Reputation and past results would say the Spartans, in Vermont, are 3 touch downs better than the AMCATS. Recent results would say there's nothing on Castleton's 2018 resume to make me think they're that much better than AMC. We're big fans of CU running back Mo Harris and every week we've mentioned his ability to take a game over....so far we've been wrong every week about that. After averaging 118 a year a go, he's been held to just 63 yards per game so far this year. That being said, he went off for 200+ vs the AMCATS last year. Add to that the fact that the Cats have allowed 260 on the ground per game this year, and I think I'm finally going to be right in saying that Mo Harris makes the difference this weekend. Harris and the Spartans 38 - AMCATs- 21

GAME OF THE WEEK- Easy to look at the schedule and pick Dean v Husson. As mentioned earlier this week the Friday night lights will be on in Bangor tonight. For most, this would be a perfect "trap game" scenario....coming off a big conference win on the road, having a short week playing a Friday night game, and the distractions that may come into play with the change in routine. Coach Price will not let his guys get distracted. With Alfred State, AMCAT U, Castleton and Gallaudet in order to close out the ECFC slate for the Eagles; it will be easy to get his guy "up" for this game.

Dean has some talented guys on both sides of the field. Based on last week's opponents I wouldn't be shocked if the Dean staff and players were in Husson prep mode for the past two weeks.

When all is said and done, Husson has too much power upfront on both sides and can wear down the Dean front. If the Husson RB plays I expect him to have a big day. A few costly turnovers will keep the score in check for a while, but this will be all Husson. 35-17.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: NED3Guy on October 05, 2018, 02:51:49 PM
Good news for ECFC fans-
Don't let anybody tell you you're the worst conference in D3 anymore...D3football.com recently ranked the ECFC 25th out of 27 conferences nation wide!

The ECFC was ranked last one time, in 2016. The rest of the time, the UMAC has held that position.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

NED3Guy

Wow... AMCAT upset in Vermont!

Sounds like the game could have gone either way, with the young AMCATs making the plays late when the game was on the line. The cats had a big goal line stand in the 4th, and scored late to take the lead after a nice CU drive to tie it up.

Not sure what's happening up in Castleton, but this was only their second loss to Anna Maria in program history. The only other loss happened in a year most of the Spartan offense was suspended for the season. Still not sure where CU QB Caron is or why he's not playing, but either way this was a great win for Anna Maria.

Congrats to the AMCAT players and coaches.

NED3Guy

Another week of ECFC football awaits-

Husson heads to Alfred State in a game that should be over by the 10 minute mark of the second quarter. After starting ECFC play with SUNY and Dean, Husson closes out their ECFC slate with the lower half of the conference. Get in, get it done, get out healthy. Husson 48-14

Castleton makes their longest trip of the year, heading down to DC to play Gallaudet. We've pretty much been wrong with every single pick we've made about Castleton...dating back to week 3 when they were heading into their Norwich game and we said they could be 5-1 after games with Norwich, Misericorida, AMCAT U and Gallaudet. Turns out we were VERY VERY wrong. Spartans now sit at 1-4 on the year....Gallaudet meanwhile has had as many weeks off as they have had games this season due to weather and their bye week. We have NO IDEA what to think of this game. GU has had two weeks to prep for CU, meanwhile CU dropped a game to AMCAT U last week and has given up over 200 rushing per game. The long bus trip, with a young team, trying to defend the triple option makes GU our pick in this one- 38-24. If you're a Spartan fan be happy...like I said, I've been wrong about them all year.

Amcats have the Ida Bye this week, after getting a big win last weekend in Vermont. I'm sure Coach Dan made them flush it after a few days and move on.

GAME OF THE WEEK- SUNY at Dean - Two 1-1 teams ultimately vying for a likely path to a second place finish and potential post season bowl game (do they still do that New England Bowl?) Both have beaten Alfred State, both have lost to Husson. While the Husson games were both very very different (one blowout on in Bangor and one tight one in the Bronx); I wouldn't read too much into the scores of those games. Dean is an athletic, well coached team. They laid an egg last week, but there's no doubt they'll be focused again this week. This one comes down to QB play, and I gotta give the edge to SUNY, with a senior at the helm. Dean rookie QB has been very very good this year, and is a star in the making; but Wright from SUNY has been doing this a long time and will get it done this weekend....SUNY 35-21

UfanBill

Nice job on your picks last week Ned... Husson, as expected, has an easy road to the MASCAC title and the playoffs. I hope they stay away from injuries.  Speaking of injury, what's the status of TE #87 Aidan Hogan who was so impressive before going out injured in the opener against Union. I see he hasn't played since.  The Eagles could use him in a probable playoff match up with MIT(or the NEWMAC winner) or maybe WNE of the CCC.  Husson needs to savor this year's bid. Things will get much tougher next year when they join the CCC. 
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

NED3Guy

Aidan Hogan is a specimen. Great find for Husson out of a small under recruited school in Vermont. Not sure what his status is for the rest of the year, but I don't think Husson would mind having him around for a 5th year if this one is a wash.

The move to the CCC will be interesting.  They've gone toe to toe with WNE over the past few years; playing them to a 3 point game this year and a 7 point game last year. Yes they lost both of those games; but between those two games and the 2017 game at Endicott (a 28-7 Husson win) I think it's safe to say that Husson will do just fine in the CCC.

I'm not too familiar with the CCC teams, but I have to think that WNE, Endicott and Salve are the top tier in the league? Maybe Nichols every now and then?...... Husson will fall right in with those top three teams and I would bet they earn the AQ from the CCC within three seasons of joining the conference. 

The AQ path for the remaining ECFC teams gets a lot easier when Husson leaves. I think SUNY will be the top dog for a few years, but don't sleep on Dean and Gallaudet making things interesting.

NED3Guy

Quick picks this week... Real life got in the way of message board life this week.

Two blowouts: SUNY over Sparty - 54-28 (Wright will be player of the week). Husson over AMCATS - 48-14. (A husson dline guy gets dpotw).

Best game is the week- Gallaudet vs Dean. Two teams that are third and forth best in the league. Dean ran into the ecfc buzzsaw that is playing SUNY and Husson back to back and got knocked back a peg as a result (see castleton the next two weeks). Gallaudet plays a consecutive week game for first time since early season, but looked very solid last week. Gallaudet is trending upwards, and can slow the game down to a pace that helps their D....GU 35-21.

NED3Guy

Felt pretty good about last weeks picks....not real hard to predict blowouts in mismatched games. Was WAY off with my Dean pick. I guess they really are the third best team in the league with a big gap between them and the #4 team (GU).

Husson and SUNY are head and shoulders above the other teams, with Dean, GU, AMC and then Castleton and Alfred State taking up the rear.

This week has no good games. So I'm not putting much into it.

Husson will roll over Castleton. The VT weather will be the only thing slowing the Eagles down. Husson 48-CU 14

SUNY will treat the AMCATs the same way...SUNY 51-21

Dean enjoys the mustang bye

GU beats Alfred State, but it'll be closer than I think.... GU 35 - Alfred State 21