Wednesday...

Ithaca 6 Rochester 4
Vassar 3 Union 1 (6...rain)

Thursday...

Ithaca 8 Clarkson 3
Vassar 9 New Paltz 0
Williams 5 RPI 3

LL Standings entering the weekend

St. Lawrence 9-3; Rochester 10-4; RPI 8-4; Skidmore 7-5; Clarkson 4-6; Union 5-10; Vassar 2-13

John McGraw

Rochester sweeps St. Lawrence in Canton, RPI takes out Skidmore. Two more to play tomorrow.

Rochester 6 St. Lawrence 0
Rochester 2 St. Lawrence 1

RPI 7 Skidmore 4
RPI 9 Skidmore 5

Standings...

Rochester 12-4; RPI 10-4; St. Lawrence 9-5; Skidmore 7-7; Clarkson 4-6; Union 5-10; Vassar 2-13

Bob Maxwell

Rochester is surging... and has some good pitching.  Looks like it will be an interesting tournament.

Who is the favorite?

BoomerIL

Bob......

You know which team is my favorite!!!    ;D

UR will probably drop down in the regional rankings due to the two losses to Brockport and Ithaca, but that is not what really matters, is it?

My son told me when I asked him about the quality of play from Brockport and Ithaca, that he felt Brockport was better, and he felt they were even better than the Emory and Wash. U. teams they faced in Florida.  But then Ithaca takes two from Brockport today.  Go figure!!!!!  That's baseball!!!!
"You observe alot by watching"  -  Yogi Berra

John McGraw

Sunday scores so far

RPI 12 Skidmore 9
RPI 19 Skidmore 12

St. Lawrence 7 Rochester 1
Rochester 5 St. Lawrence 3

Baruch 7 Vassar 5
Vassar 17 Baruch 0

Liberty standings...

RPI 12-4 (.750); Rochester 13-5 (.722); St. Lawrence 10-6 (.625); Skidmore 7-9 (.438); Clarkson 5-7 (.417); Union 6-11 (.353); Vassar 2-13 (.117)

Next weekend...
St. Lawrence @ Clarkson/Clarkson @ St. Lawrence
Vassar @ RPI/RPI @ Vassar
Union @ Skidmore/Skidmore @ Union

An RPI sweep would put them at 16-4 (.800). Rochester does not have any conference games remaining. They only played RPI, Clarkson and Skidmore twice because of the weather. RPI's season-ending schedule of Skidmore and Vassar looks like it may give them the regular season title and tournament hosting rights. The final scheduled games are on the 5th and 6th, the tournament begins on May 11th.

John McGraw

Also from Sunday...

Union 2 Clarkson 1
Clarkson 14 Union 7

Updated standings...

RPI 12-4; Rochester 13-5; St. Lawrence 10-6; Skidmore 7-9, Clarkson 6-8; Union 7-12; Vassar 2-13

John McGraw

Early results

Skidmore 6 Union 5

Standings!!!

RPI 12-4; Rochester 13-5; St. Lawrence 10-6; Skidmore 8-9; Clarkson 6-8; Union 7-13; Vassar 2-13

John McGraw

St. Lawrence 6 Clarkson 1
St. Lawrence 6 Clarkson 5

Skidmore 6 Union 5
Skidmore 6 Union 3

RPI 20 Vassar 0....@ New Paltz
RPI 12 Vassar 5....@ New Paltz

Standings

RPI 14-4; Rochester 13-5; St. Lawrence 12-6; Skidmore 9-9; Clarkson 6-10; Union 7-14; Vassar 2-15

Probable Liberty tournament pairings, round one
RPI vs. Skidmore; St. Lawrence vs. UR

John McGraw

That was fast...

RPI 3 Vassar 0 FINAL

Unless there are make-up games this coming week, RPI clinched the Liberty League regular season title and will host the conference tournament next weekend.

For the moment, Rochester has concluded their conference schedule. St. Lawrence, even if they sweep Clarkson, cannot catch RPI. The best they can finish is 14-6; RPI can finish no worse than 15-5.

John McGraw

How do you spell Liberty League regular season title? R.P.I.

RPI 3 Vassar 0
RPI 8 Vassar 1

Skidmore 11 Union 0
Skidmore 13 Union 9

St. Lawrence 6 Clarkson 1
St. Lawrence 13 Clarkson 6

Final Standings

RPI 16-4; St. Lawrence 14-6; Rochester 13-5; Skidmore 11-9; Clarkson 6-12; Union 7-16; Vassar 2-17

*Union wins the award for playing 23 of 24 scheduled conference games. No one else had more than 20. This hurts Rochester the most. The Yellow Jackets played only 18 games, yet split a pair with RPI and won three of four from SLU.

Liberty League Tournament @ Troy, New York
Friday
Game 1: #3 Rochester vs. #2 St. Lawrence 9:30 a.m.
Game 2: #4 Skidmore vs. #1 RPI 1:00 p.m.
Game 3: Elimination Game, Losers Bracket Semifinals

*RPI games will be broadcast on WRPI in Troy. The voice of Red Hawks baseball and Engineers football Kurt Stutt will have the call.

*Winner of the tournament will get an automatic bid to the NCAA playoffs. RPI, ranked second in the NY region rankings, looks to be the only team with a chance at a Pool C bid, should they not win the tournament.

BoomerIL

Well, by Saturday, we'll have some answers!!!  UR has played well this season, and missing 6 conference games due to the weather didn't help.  Their odds for having home-field-advantage for the tournament was better than 50%, IF, they could have played those games.  Losing a game to Vassar didn't help either, and I'm sorry if it sounds like a slam to Vassar, that's not my intention.

Maybe, and again its a maybe, that they could have beat Ithaca and not lost 3 of 4 to St. John Fisher, they would have gotten more consideration from the rankings pundits and the NCAA.  I don't understand how RIT could be better than UR in the regional rankings since they swept the two game series 13-0 and 2-0.  Many say that rankings don't mean much, but it surely gets peoples attention!

Obviously UR's opportunity of getting into the NCAA tournament lies with winning the Liberty League Tournament outright.  I know that none of those other three teams are going to "rollover" and let UR just walk-in.  They led the conference in defense, they have two upper echelon starters and two very good 3 and 4 pitchers, the variable is being able to hit against the other good talent that they will face.  I believe they can do that and win the conference championship, and then to move on to the next level.

The top seeds do have flaws, the challenge will be to find them, and then exploit those flaws during those games.   Again, the reverse is true as well.

Good luck to the Yellowjackets on Friday, Saturday, and more importantly Sunday!!

Bob Maxwell

Rensselaer 5
Rochester  3

Rochester is eliminated

End of 4:
Rensselaer    1
St Lawrence  1

Winner moves on to play Skidmore tomorrow

Bob Maxwell

Final Score

St Lawrence 6
Rensselaer   2

Rensselaer eliminated.

St Lawrence vs Skidmore tomorrow at 11:00am

BoomerIL

It has been the tradition in the past for the U of Rochester to play their first games in Florida.  They have several games scheduled at the Disney Complex with schools that are usually out of their normal area, then they proceed in playing in the UAA tournament in Sanford, Florida.  This coming spring instead of playing at Disney, they will play in the Tampa area first, then move to Sanford.

In Tampa they will do something different by starting out their season with conference games.  This was decided upon because of all of the games lost due to the weather this past season.  This should be an interesting experience, and will certainly set the tone for the season, especially regarding the pitching.  The UAA tournament will follow the Tampa games, which will be tough enough anyway.  Good competition!!!

Bob Maxwell

That is an interesting idea... play some conference games early in warm weather.   Not only will it help with the fight against the weather that happens in the Northeast every year... but it will most likely mean that the top two pitchers from each team will get an extra start in the conference games.

Is that something everyone in the confernece is doing?  Or just the Rochester team?

Very creative and interesting...