WBB: GSAC

Started by coachwgh, November 09, 2005, 07:30:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

powerhour

Give that guy a break about who starts here or there.  The truth of the matter is, the line up should depend on the opponent that the ladies face each night.   What is the love affair with starting Katie Parton.   You mentioned that Bain and Parton play well together, but did you notice that Bain plays well with everyone, she is that good!   Parton provide a strong post that can defend on the block.  It sound like you are an expert on line-ups.   It seems to me that Bell deserves a little more credit for who plays and when they play...I mean he is at practice everyday, watching game tapes, ansd doing the scotuing report.  I hope that the lady scots will buy into ideal of system like the men's basketball team has.  No one ever questions Lambert on who should play and who shouldn't and the two programs are comparable.

lady scots fan

I am not an expert on starting line ups. It is just that I feel like that is a good fit and the fact that this is the last year Parton and Bain will play. I would like to see more of them on the court. You are right though Bain plays well with everyone!! I really would like to see more playing time out of her. I realize that he is at practices and I am not  but to me I see the games and when someone is not giving much of an effort (ie Munday at Fisk) then that player needs to sit down and let someone else like Parton and Bain play more.

powerhour

Effort is one thing and results are another.  Munday is rostered at 6 feet Parton at best 5-9...do the math...the stats are posted on the MC web page, before the Fisk game Parton 2 ppg...Munday almost 10. Parton 2 rpg...Munday 4 rpg...Parton 5 steals...Munday13...Who care if she smiles or frowns when she plays the numbers and stats support Bell.  Playing becaus you are a senior is high schoolish and not becoming of college program.  Bain needs more minutes which she will get in close games...Saxe has been unreal of late...Munday's stats speak for themself...Summer perhaps the team MVP plays because she plays 2 spots on the floor...and Stache can stroke it...Parton's role is starting to seem smaller and smaller as the season progresses...Bell will worry about playing seniors on senior nite (that is what that game is for).  If you question the Ladies I bet they would tell who should be on the floor Parton or Munday!

powerhour

OK, so here is the real scoop I just finished lunch with Coach Bell...a.k.a. Mr. Bell...I happen to work in thebuilding where he teaches, so with that said I, as you can tell, am huge fan, since I know the work he puts in to it.  He let me in on that fact that Parton contributions are hard to measure  (no doubt look at the stats) but she has played a huge role in his success over the past 3 seasons.  He also mentioned Parton is the sme players she has always been, but recruiting has caught up to her.  So I apologize Lady Scots Fan for the harsh stance with the stats...for I have never been to a practice and just really started to take an interest in Bell's team hear of late.  I want the best for Bell and all of the lady scots.

lady scots fan

I understand you're look from a stats point of view. Bain has been leading scorer for two years now and she has been one of the top scorers when Haley was there. I just hate the fact that her and Parton have hung in there and just because you have other strong players their minutes have been drastically cut.
Bain lately hasn't had many chances to score lately. She sometimes only gets the ball five or six times in the whole game. To play 19 minutes and still be one of the top in scores says a lot. There are other teams whose  players play 25 minutes or more and they average about the same in points. I would really like to see her get more minutes.Let her go out with a great year!!!! I will miss her next year but  will be there cheering on the team. I have no one on the team but enjoy watching them.

GSAC Killer

Well I have never really visited the Women's message board and seeing most of these players for 3 years now I have some insight  on the situation.. There is no doubt that Bain has had as a consistent career as anyone Coach Bell has ever coached but she won't be more productive if given more minutes.. The minutes she is given depends on who we play and defensive match-ups and honestly I think are plenty to be a productive player like she is.. She is an undersized post player and is a liability on defense due to her size.. If there is anyone who needs more playing time is Katie Saxe.. In my opinion by far the best post player in the conference and could be if she picks it up here in conference play to be 1st Team All Conference...
  Best line-up if they decided to work on a consistent basis in practice and in games would be: Reed at point, Andy and Uner at the wings, Munday at the 4, and Saxe at Center... But what looks good on paper sometimes does not pan out in the games so the line-up of Reed,Uner,Saxe,Munday,and Dalton is by far the best... Dalton has been an absolute treat to Coach and watch..

P.S. I Coach at the college and believe Coach Bell does as good a job as any coach can possibly do.. 4 consecutive Conference Championships, has over 90 wins in 4 years which means he averages 20 a year and last but not least 4 Consecutive NCAA Tournament apperances.... This is my last post but I hope it clears the air on why people play...

lady scots fan

I disagree with you on Bain being a liability defensively maybe last year but this year I have seen her mature in that role. She has become a more rounded player. I also think that she would be more productive given more playing time.She would have more opportunity to score etc. Saxe has gotten better this year. She has worked hard in the off season as has Bain and it shows in the way they play. Dalton is a great shooter with a smooth touch but she sometimes lacks it defensively. Mundays stats maybe good but she lacks the drive she looks like she is just going thru the motions sometimes. She doesn't defend at all.

lady scots fan

So what about the game at PC yesterday? It sounded from the radio that Dalton,Saxe was not a factor in that game. Plemmons stepped it up and Bain played like she usually does very consisent. Munday had her moments. What really happened with Uner and their player? How could so many fouls get called?It also sounded like that the fouls that was called on MC was ones in which PC got to shoot free throws and MC really mainly got to take out the ball. Someone that was there share the details with me.

GSAC Killer

Its funny how you keep worrying about Bain this Parton that and as LADY SCOT fan forget to realize that all that matter is the W... (which stands for win).. Who cares about anything else: playing time, line-ups, points, rebounds etc... The Lady Scots are playing their best basketball here as of late and that is all that matters.. Big games Wednesday against Sewanee and Satruday Agnes Scott..

As for the game Saturday Uner and Saxe did not have to be a factor because it was a blow out... So everyone played thats the way things go sometimes.. And in regards to Munday from top to bottom there is not a post player on the Scots team or GSAC conference who is better than her, that is as effective inside n out as Munday is(Offensively).. (SO GET OFF HER BACK!!) Ms. Lady Scots I enjoy your comments but if you could just forget about the "other things" and realize like I said before, all that matters is WINNING!!

lady scots fan

no wonder your karma is a negative!! who said I was worrying about Bain or Parton.In my last post I didn't even mention anything about their playing time or anything. I also undestand that winning is important. All I ask was about the game this weekend. Since I wasn't able to be there I was just wondering about things. In one post you go on and on about Saxe being the best in the GSAC and the next you say Munday is . Then you talk about Dalton being the MVP of the GSAC. I'm confused which is it? I don't think I am on Munday's back, you shouldn't get all defensive it's just questions that I pose. All that matters is not just winning character and morals play an important factor also. After all it is just a game.

GSAC Killer

Karma??? Negative?? Don't understand what are you are implying...
But to respond to your comment I never said Dalton was the MVP of the GSAC.. Show me where I said that... Second Katie Saxe is potentially the best player in the GSAC.. Next I said Munday was offensively the best.. I suggest when you post that you understand basketball first!!!!!!!
  And you have totally gone off base ,of course character and morals play a big part but my comment were based on your consecutive posts concerning so much playing time for Bain and Parton.I believe Coach Bell does a great job incorporating those important aspects of life. To conclude I have to disagree "ITS NOT JUST A GAME"!!
  I was not going to post again but your comment was totally off base..
P.S. There is no doubt Bain has been a great player through her 4 years but there is a lot more competition at her position this year and that at the end is why she plays what she plays.. Oh by the way I dont think anyone plays more than 23 minutes a game but Beth Reed... No more posts for me anymore, best of luck to everyone and see you at the next game at Sewanee i know you will be there...

Ron Boerger

Quote from: GSAC Killer on January 15, 2006, 05:47:08 PM
The Lady Scots are playing their best basketball here as of late and that is all that matters.. Big games Wednesday against Sewanee and Satruday Agnes Scott..

Sewanee's barely a .500 team and is 1-4 in SCAC play.  Wowsers. 

lady scots fan

It is a key that the ladies win this against Sewanee. They came close twice but could not close.  GSAC killer is correct they have been playing their best bball as of lately and they do look more comfortable playing together.I think this is the strongest team in the last six or seven years. I am not just down on them I would like to see more consisent play out of a few. I will not be at Sewanee but I will try to listen on the radio. I hate to miss but work calls. GOOD LUCK LADIES!!

scottiedoug

Ron:  I get your point!  And I agree that MC cannot afford to lose again to Sewanee and expect any respect at NCAA bid time.  I bet the L. Scots have been discussing this!

Ralph Turner

scottiedoug, I can foresee 11-12 more South Region games for the Lady Scots, including the GSAC post-season tourney.

The Lady Scots' running the table will give them 19-20 wins against 4 losses.  That may be enough to earn a Pool B bid. :)