FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wm4

Quote from: Enginerd on May 23, 2019, 12:30:31 PM
You cannot build an ass-whupping athletic program at the D-III level with only the level of athlete paying 30K per year.

Yes, yes you can.

Mr.MIAC

Quote from: OzJohnnie on May 23, 2019, 06:03:16 PM
Quote from: PurpleTide on May 23, 2019, 05:57:16 PM
Today on ESPN's Pardon The Interruption, Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon went off on the MIAC for booting out St Thomas. They were screaming back and forth criticizing the removal of a team for being too good. MIAC went from great PR when College Game Day celebrated Tommie/Johnnie game in Collegeville to pathetic PR for this wimpy move.

SJU stuck by UST. It would be nice to see UST stick by SJU in return and try to stop the demolition of our conference.

I haven't said a word against SJ2 publicly or privately in regard to these developments. If anything, I think the CoL are challenging an ethos UST and SJ2 share, which is that a combination of academic and athletic excellence is something to be valued. As much as I try to infuriate Johnnies, I realize that in this case they are allies. If the powers that be at SJ2 were to come out with a statement on these developments it would help immensely.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Reverend MIAC, PhD on May 23, 2019, 06:20:18 PM
Today on ESPN's Pardon The Interruption, Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon went off on the MIAC for booting out St Thomas. They were screaming back and forth criticizing the removal of a team for being too good. MIAC went from great PR when College Game Day celebrated Tommie/Johnnie game in Collegeville to pathetic PR for this wimpy move.

SJU stuck by UST. It would be nice to see UST stick by SJU in return and try to stop the demolition of our conference.

I haven't said a word against SJ2 publicly or privately in regard to these developments. If anything, I think the CoL are challenging an ethos UST and SJ2 share, which is that a combination of academic and athletic excellence is something to be valued. As much as I try to infuriate Johnnies, I realize that in this case they are allies. If the powers that be at SJ2 were to come out with a statement on these developments it would help immensely.
Might we not see UST taking a few more schools with it to the WIAC?

That would be a "Super-conference"!

PurpleTide

I have huge respect for SJU, CSB and Bethel for sticking by UST. But, the MIAC gave UST the boot and the MIAC is getting ripped for it. Don't blame me for pointing it out.
As you say, the MIAC changed this week from being OUR conference to YOUR conference. I played for UST in the 70's and the MIAC has been part of my life for almost 50 years. I am grieving the loss.
(Btw, johnnies suck)
"We can believe what we choose. We are answerable for what we choose to believe."
― John Henry Newman

Mr.MIAC

I've come to appreciate this board as more than a forum to talk football--it's become a group of (argumentative) friends. As someone living outside the region it's been a means to stay connected to Minnesota, which is something that might not register as valuable, but I can tell you is important. Wherever UST ends up, I'll still check in on this board every once and awhile. If you ever want to grab a beer here in DC or meetup when I'm back in MN, send me a PM with your contact details. It would be fun to get together.

Robert Zimmerman

A break from MIAC drama, the lineup for the Twins this year is unbelievable.  The Twins are currently beating the Angels 15-2 and have hit 8 home runs so far.  They are leading the majors in home runs, with Nelson Cruz and Mitch Garver currently injured.  I have been watching the Twins since the early '80's and I can't remember a year like this.  Hope it lasts. 

Miacman4040

I'm not a huge fan of the Olaf hate on this board. Let's not forget this decision is being made by the President and not the student athletes. St Olaf has had great success recently in sports like mens basketball, swimming, track, cross country, etc. and I'm sure these students enjoy competition and a challenge as much as anyone at other athletic programs. It's truly a shame the students will bear the brunt of this decision while the president can run and hide.

Texas Ole

This is a unique situation.  It doesn't happen very often that a conference removes a member, and as we look at the PR mess it easy why that is the case.  Should the MIAC and the remaining schools bring out the full list of grievances against St. Thomas?  I am sure some of those St. Thomas may not want mentioned.  Should St. Thomas come out and just besmirch the MIAC or a certain group of schools?  That won't help them find a new home.  Both of these would also likely lead to plenty of lawsuits.

St. Thomas is gone for a whole host of issues.  Maybe another school or two will join them wherever they go.  Throwing gasoline on this fire isn't going to help anyone.

This move could be the best thing for St. Thomas.  They have become a regional university.  Some of the MIAC rules don't allow them to take advantage it.  The problem is there aren't many great options for them when you factor in travel and rivalries.

OldAuggie

Quote from: Reverend MIAC, PhD on May 23, 2019, 07:02:49 PM
I've come to appreciate this board as more than a forum to talk football--it's become a group of (argumentative) friends. As someone living outside the region it's been a means to stay connected to Minnesota, which is something that might not register as valuable, but I can tell you is important. Wherever UST ends up, I'll still check in on this board every once and awhile. If you ever want to grab a beer here in DC or meetup when I'm back in MN, send me a PM with your contact details. It would be fun to get together. Best Regards, John.
If UST end up in the NSIC you might see a new UMD Bulldog poster show up on the D2 Football board with a familiar IP address. You will know by the Bulldog logo I, er.. I mean, the new poster will use.
MIAC champions 1928, 1997

Texas Ole

I think 1 or 2 other schools may choose to leave the MIAC with St. Thomas.  Bethel with its graduate programs may have outgrown the MIAC.  The problem is to a different conference and especially up to the D2 level presents some major challenges for them.  Bethel would have to spend a ton of facility upgrades that probably forces it to drop some sports.  SJU could also look to make a move to preserve the rivalry whether that is a lateral one or up to D2.  You don't average the attendance that SJU does for football without athletics playing a prominent role on campus.

sjusection105

Quote from: hazzben on May 23, 2019, 06:11:44 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on May 23, 2019, 06:05:17 PM
Honestly, Oz, I think that's what UST did -- especially if you consider "demolition" to be "four or five schools leaving" the conference.

Agree with Pat here. I'm not Tommie lover, but I think the UST administration PR Department has handled this entire debacle with a lot of class. They could have turned this really ugly. Instead they clearly stated 1) they wanted to remain, 2) that they did everything they could. And then bowed out with about as much grace as an institution could given the circumstances.
I must say the UST media department has directed the narrative expertly through this entire situation. You talk about taking a page out of the Gagliardi "ahh shucks" play book, the Tommies have turned the presidents of the C.O.L. (and the MIAC administration to a lesser degree) into villians on a national scale. Moving forward in their search for a new conference I don't see being the victim of the C.O.L/MIAC Admin. as hurting UST.
As of now they're on DOUBLE SECRET Probation!

miac952

I thought this would get a little national attention if the decision went the way it has, but I underestimated this. I can't turn my head without hearing about it. Golic and Wingo on their radio show, Bilas shredding it on tv appearances and Twitter, SI and ESPN headlines, blurbs on Fox News and CNN. And it has carried over into a full 2nd day of coverage. I'd be curious to know if there were any emergency conference calls amongst the ringleaders to hunt down a PR firm to stop the bleeding.

hazzben

Quote from: Texas Ole on May 23, 2019, 08:05:31 PM
I think 1 or 2 other schools may choose to leave the MIAC with St. Thomas.  Bethel with its graduate programs may have outgrown the MIAC.  The problem is to a different conference and especially up to the D2 level presents some major challenges for them.  Bethel would have to spend a ton of facility upgrades that probably forces it to drop some sports.  SJU could also look to make a move to preserve the rivalry whether that is a lateral one or up to D2.  You don't average the attendance that SJU does for football without athletics playing a prominent role on campus.

Stop. Just please stop.

Bethel has not outgrown anything. And has ZERO aspirations to leave the MIAC or D3. Hamline has a law school and grad program for goodness sake.

Are we really gonna just start regrouping to oust the next good programs. Really??

OzJohnnie

It looks like the last Johnnie/Tommie game will be at Collegeville if it is in the autumn of 2020.  They'll need to put in double-sized bleachers that surround the entire field on the visitors side and the whole scoreboard end.  Probably the grass hill could remain.

There will be well over 20k for that game, I bet.
[  

Texas Ole

Quote from: hazzben on May 23, 2019, 10:29:37 PM
Quote from: Texas Ole on May 23, 2019, 08:05:31 PM

Stop. Just please stop.

Bethel has not outgrown anything. And has ZERO aspirations to leave the MIAC or D3. Hamline has a law school and grad program for goodness sake.

Are we really gonna just start regrouping to oust the next good programs. Really??

I am sorry as I don't think I was clear.  This was not about voting additional schools out of the MIAC.  I was focused on schools that may choose to follow St. Thomas and leave the MIAC on their own accord.  I considered SJU to preserve the rivalry.  Bethel came to mind with its grad programs as I thought it may benefit from allowing grad students to play athletics which isn't possible in the MIAC.  It isn't the small college it was 15 years ago.  I was thinking if you are a grad student at Augsburg or Hamline you probably weren't playing sports.

The MIAC isn't in a position to lose many more schools especially when it comes to football and men's hockey.