FB: Commonwealth Coast Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:57:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonny Utah

Quote from: InTheMix on September 12, 2007, 04:19:11 PM
Interesting stuff about the NAC adding football. It should be interesting to see if any of the better teams in the NEFC try to jump ship within the next few years. This could be the solution to the 16-team NEFC breaking up and playing some more difficult non-conference opponents. It would be great if teams like EC, FSC, UMD, and Curry would break out and possible gain some recognition and possibly win an NCAA game. Any thoughts??

I think the NEFC is a better overall league than the NAC in all sports and teams would not leave the NEFC for that conference.  Mt. Ida and Becker would join any conference that asked them.  From what Ive heard, the NAC is not a very well run conference and many of those teams have tried to join the other NE leagues (CCC, GNAC and Little east) in the past.

'gro

years from now there could conceivably be 3 New England conferences with an AQ (NAC, and the NEFC split into to other conferences).  That would turn the east region playoffs into

1. NAC
2. NEFC-1
3. NEFC-2
4. LL
5. Empire (insert #)
6. NJAC
7. MAC
8. Pool B/C Team

If more than 1 team is Pool B/C worthy, they would have to ship a team out of the east, for once 8)

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Jonny Utah on September 12, 2007, 06:05:52 PM
I think the NEFC is a better overall league than the NAC in all sports and teams would not leave the NEFC for that conference.  Mt. Ida and Becker would join any conference that asked them.  From what Ive heard, the NAC is not a very well run conference and many of those teams have tried to join the other NE leagues (CCC, GNAC and Little east) in the past.

The NEFC doesn't exist overall and in all sports.

Ida, Becker and others did join the new NECC (formerly the NeNAC). I think the NAC's problem was it was too big geographically. The remaining teams are much more compact and have a little more in common.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 12, 2007, 06:44:20 PM
Quote from: Jonny Utah on September 12, 2007, 06:05:52 PM

The NEFC doesn't exist overall and in all sports.

Right.  I meant all the NEFC teams in their respective leagues in other sports....

The problem with a lot of these schools is that they simply dont have the facilities or budgets to be competitive at the d3 level nationally or regionally for that matter.

D3 Fan

Having been involved with the NEFC title game, the NCAA's and the ECAC's, I can tell you that the NEFC title game means more then an oops game in the ECAC's.  It's a nice consolation if you don't make the title game and in the past really meant something to a team that was trying to grow...Now that you are playing a team from your area or one you've already played during the year takes away from it....

I beg to differ regarding playing teams outside your league and getting your but kicked.  A lot is gained from the experience of playing those better teams and it shows your players and recruits that you're trying to expand your program.  Going out and playing the Stonehills, Merrimack's, Springfield's and West Conns (all teams that the NEFC recruits against) helps big time in the recruiting game  and shows your players what they have to do if they want to compete at that level.

If the NEFC breaks up the Privates will go one way and the publics the other way....my opinion!!!

union89

Seems to me, in past years, the NEFC Championship has been the main goal for teams in this conf.  Chatter has been high leading up to the Champioship Game, but then dies when the winner reaches the NCAA game.....seems that expectations are very low even within the NEFC member schools that an NCAA win is even attainable.

Just my opinion......

gullgrad

Maine Maritime should leave the NEFC for the NAC.  The NEFC is a tired league that really has not put any effort into their athletics.  If you take a peek at what Husson has done in their short time playing football you can easily say they have a stronger commitment to the game than any NEFC school.  I would hope that other NAC teams would follow suit (certainly any new ones.)  If Maine left it would just mark the beginning of the end of the NEFC.

Gr8Day2BaBear

I disagree with the fact that there is no effort being put in.  In the last 5 years Mass Maritime, Fitchburg, Umass Dartmouth, and Framingham have all put in new fields.  Westfield built a brand new field house.  While  Bridgewater put in a new gym and is looking to put in a new stadium in the upcoming off-season.  The schools have done their best with the money they have so I don't know how you could say no effort.

I agree with what Union is saying too, but if the NEFC were to get that first win out of the way I think that would change everything.  I mean it's definitely possible if you look at 1999 Bridgewater only lost by 5 points.  Plus the best part about football is that any team can win on a given day...Appalachian vs. Michigan, if that's possible what isn't?!?

D3 Fan your completely wrong thinking that playing a team again takes away from ECAC's.  I mean imagine getting to beat down two teams in consecutives years that were the one reason you didn't make the championship game...Bridgewater vs. Fitchburg/Coast Guard.  Getting the chance for revenge in football rarely happens in the same season and it can change the whole mentality of a teams off-season.

D3 Fan

Pimpin, I agree but disagree.  If you are a team that is trying to grow so that you can compete on the national level then you would prefer to play someone at a higher caliber.  Don't get me wrong because it is always nice to make up for a loss but can I build my program by playing another NEFC team or by playing Ithaca like UMD did a few years ago?  It's great to have another game, win and/or championship but I think you get more (long term) out of the higher level competition.

Union, I don't think the player's expectations are low.  I think they believe that they have just as much of a chance as anyone.  Especially with good coaching! I think the fan base itself may feel that there is a limited chance but not the players.  I would say that the coaches, if polled would have a realistic view of what would need to happen for their team to win.  At this point a NEFC team would have to play a near perfect game to get a win in the NCAA's or against the better programs. 

The problem with the NEFC championship game is that it takes a lot out of the players and coaches, both physically and mentally.  Never mind the difference between full time staff's and part time staff's when it comes to game prep...in the post season.

My opinion!

Pat Coleman

Most teams play Week 11 before the playoffs.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

gullgrad

picks:

Salve Regina   at Bridgewater St.  : BSC in a cake walk, 28-7     
Mass. Maritime   at Endicott      : EC rebounds (yeah gulls) 21- 3
Curry   at Westfield St.   Curry brings WSC back down to its real level 35-10   
Western New Eng.   at Maine Maritime   Maine at home is a good pick, prob a great game though, ME 28- 24   
Worcester St.   at Nichols     Nichols pulls the upset- 10-7 
Mass.-Dartmouth   at Fitchburg St.      Neither of these teams plays D, FSC wins 42-38
Coast Guard   at Plymouth St.       CGA is the class of the league, 45-21
Framingham St.   at MIT  People are really going to this game? for the 5 people there, FSC 12 MIT 14

GO Gulls

63Center

MIT over Framingham (DUH) Somethinge never change

EC over MMA - This could be a good one and mey show how EC will do this year

BSC all over SRU

WNEC back on the winning track  over MME

Worcester St. over Nichols. This could also show what Nichols has this year

Curry over Westfield. 

Fitchburg over UMD.  I still think UMD is rebuilding

USCGA easily over PSC

union89

Quote from: D3 Fan on September 13, 2007, 09:46:58 PM
Pimpin, I agree but disagree.  If you are a team that is trying to grow so that you can compete on the national level then you would prefer to play someone at a higher caliber.  Don't get me wrong because it is always nice to make up for a loss but can I build my program by playing another NEFC team or by playing Ithaca like UMD did a few years ago?  It's great to have another game, win and/or championship but I think you get more (long term) out of the higher level competition.

Union, I don't think the player's expectations are low.  I think they believe that they have just as much of a chance as anyone.  Especially with good coaching! I think the fan base itself may feel that there is a limited chance but not the players.  I would say that the coaches, if polled would have a realistic view of what would need to happen for their team to win.  At this point a NEFC team would have to play a near perfect game to get a win in the NCAA's or against the better programs. 

The problem with the NEFC championship game is that it takes a lot out of the players and coaches, both physically and mentally.  Never mind the difference between full time staff's and part time staff's when it comes to game prep...in the post season.

My opinion!

D3, well stated....thanks for your thoughts.

63Center

Looks like the NEFC is wide open for anyone to get the opportunity to play against Curry in the championship with what appears to be some surpise games this weekend.  PSC beating USCGA,  MMA beating EC, UMD rolling it up against Fitchburg, and SRU beaing BSC. 

Where is the EC offense.  Of course they moved the ball but then turned it over 5 times. Racking up yards doesn't count, racking up points count.  Curry appears to be the one to beat again.

gullgrad

Ouch, Center is correct, anyone can take it this year appearently.  I got to see EC and they looked like they should win, but TO's are the equalizer. 
Bridgewater, where have you gone?  Congrats to Salve.  How about UMD.  THey announced the halftime score at the MMA EC game, 41-7 or something like that.  Wow. 
I am not sure how the Maine Wnec game went becasue I think it was in Maine so we are still waiting for the man do deliver the game notes via horseback.
Its gonna be a weird one this year.

Come back gulls.