MBB: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Oxy'03SalemPavers, March 10, 2005, 12:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dj_hyphen

what do you mean, "maybe" the issue was with Turner.  It's clearly with him.  The proverbial T.O. of the SCIAC, except change the exceptional talent to above average.  A waste of explosive scoring ability, but a cancer to any squad really

and just to add in to the Redlands defensive prowess, wasn't it our golden boy Chris Wight who dropped 64 on em or something?  Tweety must have been ballin that day :D I think he had the highest point total...with Hodges 2nd

sciacguru

Hodges had 63 pts the 1st game and 52 the 2nd game.
http://www.d3hoops.com/tow/05/jan16.htm

It was Shivers that had 57 pts on 17 3 ptrs against Whittier.

dj_hyphen

yeah my bad, i was way off on Tweety...just checked the redlands archived, he didn't do nearly as well as I remembered.  Props to Hodges

OXY Oswald

Quote from: Sabretooth Tiger on January 23, 2006, 04:44:10 PM
Anyone have any idea what happened to Sasich at Oxy?  He's no longer listed on the team roster.
Apparently his knees are shot, so he's done.  Good player for Oxy, but the Tigers are still pretty deep and get it done long enough to give our starters a good rest.

Two big home games for Oxy this week, and its the first week back for classes... the student body should be in full force!

Go Tigers
Go TIGERS!!!

Tough days for Tiger Football.

Eye of da TIGER

Hold on one minute.......... In my very unbiased opinion i believe that the Oxy Tigers have the best crowd support!!!!! Almost the entire football team goes to bball games both home and away.  And for those of you who think your crowd is loud and crazy just wait till the Tigers come to town or you come to the Rock!!!  I understand why some of you think its rude and not very classy, but come on its college basketball.  As an athlete myself, there is nothing like playing in a rowdy stadium.  It makes the game more fun when it seems like everyone is actually interested in the game.  So there you have it, my vote for best crowd and fan support goes to the Oxy Tigers, and for those of you who disagree, just wait to see what we are wearing when you play the Tigers!!!!! ;D
4 is the smallest composite number, its proper divisors being 1 and 2. 4 is the smallest squared prime. 4 is the only number in the English language for which the number of letters in its name is equal to the number itself. 4 is also the number of titles in a row the tigers will have in '07!! Go Oxy

WestCoastWhiner

CLU, Redlands, Oxy all have good home court advantages.  PP's late arriving crowd at half last year against Oxy (word must have trickled around campus that Oxy rolled in with its loud football team fans and the kids dropped their espressos, put on their JCrew sweaters and rolled to the gym), helped their squad blow open a close game with the Tigers.  So when needed, PP can definitely represent as well.  Bigger question than who has the better crowd is who has the most clever crowd.  And here, I give it up to the half dozen Techie fans.  Can't ever forget seeing once sign "Take it to the Hole" then a picture of the mascot.  Somehow that passed the sensors.  Good thing there were more players on the court than fans. 

Turner doesn't realize but he just added some skeletons to his closet that will stay there a while.  Transfer to CMS then quit?  Got to be tough to live that down.  Two failed schools.  Hope he has some other postives in his life and sees the big picture.  Why in the earth would he transfer to CMS?!?  Just to stick it to his boys?  That would be about the last SCIAC school I would have picked for him.

"I've won at every level, except grade school, junior high, high school and college."

dj_hyphen

Quote from: WestCoastWhiner on January 24, 2006, 01:55:31 AM
And here, I give it up to the half dozen Techie fans.  Can't ever forget seeing once sign "Take it to the Hole" then a picture of the mascot.  Somehow that passed the sensors.  Good thing there were more players on the court than fans. 

a few years ago, Cal Tech actually had a little cheer squad thing going (and you thought Duke had the ugliest cheerleaders :-\ ), and my favorite cheer was easily:  "Beaver fever...snatch it up"

[banya] that's GOLD Jerry! [/banya]

Howlinwolf

The enegy level of fans can turn a well contested game into a truly exciting experience for players and spectators. More props to SCIAC schools that create such an atmosphere.
However, there is a line that can be crossed, and an "anything goes" philosophy that encourages crass, unimaginative, "junior high" cheers is both boring and classless. It reflects poorly on the individuals and the college they represent. Any bozo can scream "bull****"  Too often the object is to denigrate opposing players, refs' calls, etc. rather than to really get behind  one's own team. Sure, get into the opposing team's head, but do it with clever cheers. 
Raise the bar AND the volume. The fans that do will distinguish themselves from the rest.

pomonaalum

My vote for best atmosphere would be PP @ CMS.  Ducey is tiny, hot and loud when those teams meet.  CMS @ PP can be pretty good as well, the bigger gym negates the additional capacity in terms of atmosphere.

OXY Oswald

Doesn't seem like this issue is going to be easily settled, I can say I'll definitely be at the majority of the SCIAC games this year... So I'll going to go ahead and appoint myself to figure out which fans are the best. 
Go TIGERS!!!

Tough days for Tiger Football.

Sabretooth Tiger

Oxy moves to #16 in the newest national top 25 poll!!!

Go Tigers!
Io Triumphe!

Keep it up boys!

tigersports

Those of you that can't make it Wed or Sat, be sure to listen at oxybroadcast.com.  We're also podcasting now.  Subscribe at http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=120004382

scandihoovian

Quote from: OXY Oswald on January 24, 2006, 03:16:09 PM
Doesn't seem like this issue is going to be easily settled, I can say I'll definitely be at the majority of the SCIAC games this year... So I'll going to go ahead and appoint myself to figure out which fans are the best. 

Thanks, Oswald - that's big of you  ;)

I obviously have my own biases, but I have to say that the best SCIAC fans I've ever seen at an away game was when CLU played CMS at Ducey with the SCIAC title on the line in 2002.  That crowd changed the game.  I would agree with pomona alum that larger gyms sometimes kill the atmosphere.  I'm looking forward to the new facilities at CLU, but I also know that the new building will make it much more difficult to generate a big homecourt advantage.

artestes

Turner should just transfer to Cal Tech so he can get the number of shots up that he deserves.

It's a good thing coach kats played Turner as a freshman above me as a senior. That seems to have  paid big dividends for everyone... i'm not bitter or anything

Howlinwolf

Oxy squeaked out a 52-48 win over the Stags in front of a boistrerous home crowd to run their conference record to 5-0. A few well-timed three's and intensified defense made the difference.
Large Oxy student rooting section made a difference, Enthusiastic, vocal, but classy. Grest atmopshere, especially for a weekday game.