MBB: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Oxy'03SalemPavers, March 10, 2005, 12:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OxyFan21

ok, made a phone call.  had a little elevated blood pressure....then found out oxy won.  on the front page, it looks as though clu did a good job in posting a press release, they just got the score reveresed, as guru said.

good night from the midwest.

David Collinge

So for the non-telepathic among us, that makes the final score
Occidental 58
Cal Lutheran 45

Press Release

Pat Coleman

Sheesh. You know, a couple weeks ago we added a confirmation screen to the score posting process, so before the score goes up, you get a look at the score you are reporting, in nice huge type. So if you post a wrong score, it's because you weren't paying attention.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

K.C.

Saw a good game out at Whittier tonight.  In the end, Claremont's defensive pressure was a little too much for the Poets.  Whittier actually had the ball with a chance to tie at the end of the game, but they were unable to get an open 3 and Miles Taylor blocked the shot.  He once again showed why he's the best all-around player in the conference.  He just seems to want it more than anyone else out there.

Whittier started strong and had the lead much of the first half.  The turning point in the game was with about 4 minutes left in the first half.  Gibson for Whittier was picked as he drove to the basket, then reacted with what the refs called an intentional foul.  A couple seconds later the refs added a technical (not sure if this was on Gibson or the coach) for arguing the call.  Claremont had just gained a 4 point lead, and the four subsequent free throws pushed it to 8.  Whitter never led again, and Gibson was benched from that point until about 9 minutes left in the game.

Scalmanini had definitely become one of the top coaches in the conference, IMO.  He's got his team playing better overall team basketball than anyone else in the conference.  Their defensive intensity is the best I've seen in a while.  Hopefully for Stags fans, they can keep the Scalmanini/Connor Henry combo there a while.

Eye of da TIGER

Oxy Bob speaks nothing but the truth.  We only traveled about 22 due to a week filled with sr comps and tests, yet we still had as many students as Cal Lu.  If they even believed that they had the best fans in the SCIAC they are now left off that list.  The only thing their students could respond with to many of the Oxy chants was "You're gay, You're gay, You're gay" and "C*CKIDENTAL!" Good win for the Tigers, and keep it classy out there in Thousand Oaks!!!!

Ps. Oxy Bob we were looking for you in the stands, next time stop by and say what up!!!!
4 is the smallest composite number, its proper divisors being 1 and 2. 4 is the smallest squared prime. 4 is the only number in the English language for which the number of letters in its name is equal to the number itself. 4 is also the number of titles in a row the tigers will have in '07!! Go Oxy

OXY Oswald

TIGER and Bob,

I'm with you on a great game.  Oxy's D in the first half drove me nuts, but they sealed up the middle and got tough to take the lead, and keep it, in the second half.

The away mob that came had an awesome time, and had tons of energy... good news is it's one of the last times we'll visit the Kingsmen Thousand Oaks Middle School Gymnasium. 

Congrats to the Cal Lu fans, we now all know that we're "gay" and where we go to school.... thanks for the cheerleaders, they were great.

Go Tigers!
Go TIGERS!!!

Tough days for Tiger Football.

El Tigre

Thanks OxyBob ... I wish we could have had more people, but like Eye of da Tiger said there is a lot going on this week.  I mean we had four econ majors that made the trip and have MFATs this Saturday.  Great game from both Cal Lu and Oxy, but as we all know oxy came out on top like they should.  Got a little scared here and there but never lost faith in my tigers.  

As for the Cal Lu/Oxy fans debate ... tonight the award goes to oxy.  We had about half as many people there as they did and was able to over power them the whole game.  They sure do get an E for effort, but between stealing our chants and using less then classy chants they lost some respect.  

Some big games this weekend ... hope everyone comes out in full force because you know oxy will with a home game against the "purple poets!"  See you at the game OxyBob.  Stop by the unofficial officials and say hello.  I will have a large tiger print hat on.

Eat'em up Tigers!

Eat'em up Tigers!
O.C. RAH!

El Tigre

OxyBob I know you said you were going to wear a grey Occidental sweater, but by chance were you wearing a black Occidental t-shirt ... because if so I think I saw you.  Hey if you ever want one of our stylish ref jerseys ... let us know!  We will even but OoxyBob as your nickname!
O.C. RAH!

OXY Oswald

Quote from: OxyBob on February 09, 2006, 02:38:31 AM
Eye of da TIGER:

>>Ps. Oxy Bob we were looking for you in the stands, next time stop by and say what up!!!!<<

I was standing up and yelling right in back of you guys the entire game. Nicely done getting the CLU cheerleaders to high-five you as they passed by. I guess that qualifies as a hand job.

OxyBob

Those girls are good at what they do! ;)
Go TIGERS!!!

Tough days for Tiger Football.

Gregory Sager

Don't look now, SCIACers, but there's a solid chance that your league could sneak a second team into the big dance via the Pool C route -- in spite of the fact that only one SCIAC team (Occidental) currently ranks among the top hundred teams in D3 in the Quality of Wins Index list that Pat Coleman updates every two or three days.

This is how the NCAA's initial West Region rankings looked when they were released yesterday:

rank, team, regional record, overall record
1. Occidental (9-1, 16-2)
2. Puget Sound (12-1, 17-3)
3. UW-Stout (14-3, 17-4)
4. UW-LaCrosse (16-5, 17-5)
5. Wartburg (16-3, 17-4)
6. Willamette (13-2, 14-6)
7. Carleton (13-4, 16-5)
8. UW-Whitewater (11-5, 15-5)

There isn't another SCIAC team within shouting distance of these rankings. Not only do the other two contenders have inferior West Region records (CMS was 9-5 at the time the rankings were released yesterday, 10-5 now, while Pomona-Pitzer was 7-3, now 8-3), but as I said, neither has a QOWI that's worth a second look.

So, then, what chance does the SCIAC have of getting in a second team, you ask? It's because Oxy is #1 in the region. A number one ranking means that they have some breathing room if they drop a game ... like, say, the game a week from Saturday @ CMS. The Tigers could easily survive a loss in their rematch with the Stags; their #1 ranking in the region rests not only upon their gaudy regional record (now 10-1 after last night's win over Cal Lutheran) but upon their QOWI, which ranked among the top ten in the nation according to Pat's last QOWI list.

And if a win over Oxy is part of a CMS run to the title, with the Stags finishing 13-1 in the SCIAC and Oxy going 12-2, the league's Pool A automatic bid goes to a team that would otherwise have no shot via Pool C (CMS) -- but Oxy would be sitting pretty in the Pool C sweepstakes with a 14-2 West Region record, a high QOWI, and probably a slot in the West Region rankings that'd range somewhere between third and fifth. With 18 Pool C slots available this March, I'd like the Tigers' chances under those conditions.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

OxyFan21

I'm looking at possibly being back in LA the first week of March.  If Oxy makes the tournament and IF we are lucky enough to host a first round game...does anyone know the dates of Round 1?

Right now, American has a 198 roundtrip flight from STL-LAX.  I figure, if we take care of business, all's well.

scandihoovian

Sounds like a good win last night for Oxy.  The Kingsmen have impressed me with their ability to hang tough with the top teams in the conference, but again, as was the case against CMS, their youth and lack of depth seem to hurt them during the last 5-7 minutes of the game.  I was hoping it would be a different story when it was still tied with 7 minutes left...

During the parts of the broadcast I caught it sounds like Betty was very impressive - it's a tough assignment to ask anyone, let alone a freshman, to guard him.  I'm sure the Oxy-CMS rematch will be a good one.

As for the "Purple Pit", well, I defended them here earlier in the season but I'm done taking up their cause.  I've seen much worse over the years, but I am disappointed that they've degenerated to the point where they can't seem to figure out that once you cross the line to a place where the best you can come up with is an inference about your opponent being gay you've lost the battle.  It is about being classy, clever and enthusiastic, and on that score I commend the Oxy students who made the trip. 

Despite the loss, I remain excited about what the future holds for this Cal Lu team.  With two exceptions (Bush and Lepiashanski), they're all freshmen and sophmores and they're still playing the top SCIAC teams tough.  It's exciting to think that Minney might be able to rejoin this group next year.

El Tigre

Quote from: scandihoovian on February 09, 2006, 11:14:14 AM
It is about being classy, clever and enthusiastic, and on that score I commend the Oxy students who made the trip. 

Thanks scandihoovian,
Yea ... I am not going to lie and say that in past years Oxy used to act in the same manner as Cal Lu did last night, but we have been working with Newhall and the administrators at Oxy to change the culture at Occidental and prove that quality academics and quality athletics can go hand in hand.  So far this has worked out ... we have an insane amount of students coming out to the basketball games, with the football team leading the pack.  Just this week we were acknowledged in the Oxy newspaper:

"Members of the Oxy Football Team have become the unofficial cheerleaders of the Men's Basketball Team, flooding the stands and leading the crowd in roaring songs and coordinated chants.  Dressed in their referee-like jerseys or black uniforms (we have all other students wear all black), Oxy Football players have made the "Black Hole" into an intimidating and energizing force."

I challenge any school to come out and compete with us!

Quote from: OxyBob on February 09, 2006, 11:27:27 AM
I won't be at the Whittier game. My wife is demanding a night out, and she doesn't think dinner at Casa Bianca, followed by the Oxy-Whittier game, culminating in a trip to Tommy's, qualifies as an acceptable date, spoil sport that she is.

OxyBob,
Are you kidding me ... you can take me out anytime you want!  You know if that's the case we do have a new sushi restaurant that opened up next to yellow liquor and I heard it is really good and classy, but I understand and we will try a step it up a notch to make up for the loss.  Hopefully, we will have a chance to talk sometime before the end of the season.  Maybe Eye of da Tiger, Oxy Oswald, you and I can meet before a game for a beer or two!

Eat'em Up Tigers!
O.C. RAH!

Tom Brady

Bob-  That handjob line is classic.  Well done my friend.

All of the Oxy fans that made the trip should feel pretty darn good about yourselves (and I know you do).  You guys made the "Purple Pit" guys look pretty stupid.  I guess the whole "your'e gay" one was okay (with my sense of humor) but on the whole, yuo guys were awsome.  I loved the shirts and the overall enthusiasm.  It will be even cooler next year when the fans are on opposite sides of the court (I think).

Either way, I give you all props for showing support for Oxy.  I knew it was only a matter of time until the whole "just like football" chant came out.  I thought it was great when you guys came back with "41-9".  Man, maybe I am turning into a closet Oxy fan....nahhhh
One question though.  Did the CLU guys chant "Lets go outside"???  I thought I heard it, and if so, that is just plain bad.

Tom Brady

El Tigre and all the other guys in the striped shirts last night, I only have one thing to say to all of you.......Well done my friends.