MBB: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Oxy'03SalemPavers, March 10, 2005, 12:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TeeDub

Quote from: scandihoovian on February 16, 2006, 11:33:31 AM
Redlands big win, even though it seems to have been primarily the product of an amazing individual shooting performance, unfortunately provides further encouragement for Gary Smith to keep running the system.

That and the win over Cal Lu earlier this year....

scandihoovian

True enough Jordis - although this year's CLU team is not quite as strong as last year's.  The last men's game in the old gym is against Redlands on Monday night - I'm thinking the Kingsmen will set the record straight.  After all, the Redlands players are usually thrown a little out of whack when their 3s start hitting the ceiling...

sciacguru

I guess the Oxy fans couldnt help the Tigers win at home this time?!?!?!

Hopefully someone nominates Amir for Team of the Week....averaging 46 pts (57 vs Oxy, 47 vs Laverne, and 34 vs CIT) with 36 3s over 7 days.

LaVerne was able to sustain 14 3s from Amir, and still pull out the victory.  So who didnt contribute for Oxy???

Tom Brady

Scandi-  I love the idea of the neutral site being in T.O.  That is about as neutral as it gets, but they would probably do it in Whittier.

Liger Hoops

Quote from: sciacguru on February 16, 2006, 02:26:33 PM
I guess the Oxy fans couldnt help the Tigers win at home this time?!?!?! ...

So who didnt contribute for Oxy???

No fans can stop a guy that scores 57, unfortunately.  It wasn't a matter of who wasn't contributing, Oxy has 4 players in double digits with a few others scoring 8 or 9. One of the most glaring stats of the game was Whitman's non-shooting. How does your best shooter only get 3 shots off the entire game? Obviously, Redland's press defense prohibited any outside shooting (Oxy shot a total of 3 from downtown) and why take outside shots when you can pass down low for an easy basket nearly every possession. And I'm going back to it because it cost them the game but Oxy really bit it hard from the free-throw line. You just have to make them count when a team puts you on the line 25 times.

Who nominates players for team of the week?

dj_hyphen

^^the best shooter thing doesn't really make any difference...the rules go out the window when you play Redlands and each team normally has a designated 'deep' guy to rack up all the points against them.  The only player/team I can remember actually willing to settle for 3's against them and do reasonably well with it was La Verne and Greenlee in particular lighting them up from deep.  So you NEVER need to shoot from outside to beat Redlands...that doesn't seem to be any sort of problem with Oxy's outcome.  The FT shooting however, sounds directly responsible.  But still, remember that even against Redlands, 120 points is PLENTY...they lost because they gave up about 20 more than Redlands should score cause Mazerei pulled a Kobe

OXY Oswald

Go TIGERS!!!

Tough days for Tiger Football.

sciacguru

Quote from: Jordis Rocks on February 16, 2006, 11:58:08 AM
Quote from: scandihoovian on February 16, 2006, 11:33:31 AM
Redlands big win, even though it seems to have been primarily the product of an amazing individual shooting performance, unfortunately provides further encouragement for Gary Smith to keep running the system.
That and the win over Cal Lu earlier this year....

Nice response Jordis...since those are their only non-Cal Tech wins in conference.

>>The only player/team I can remember actually willing to settle for 3's against them and do reasonably well with it was La Verne and Greenlee in particular lighting them up from deep.  So you NEVER need to shoot from outside to beat Redlands...<<

If this is true then you didnt see the Whittier vs Redlands stat line....
http://www.redlands.edu/prebuilt/pdf/athletics/2006basketball_mens/ur-wc.htm

Pat Coleman

Nobody seems to have responded to this point, but I believe the one-game tiebreaker in the SCIAC only comes into play if the two tied teams split head to head games. If one team swept the other, the AQ is theirs.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

WestCoastWhiner

DJ is dead-on.  Scoring was not a problem for Oxy.  Their guards getting lit up Kobe-style was.  Like A Walker said, "Ain't no way some dude is getting that many off against me, I'd clothesline him."  Said from a guy who has the lateral quickness of a Sumo wrestler.  

Like I said, Oxy's guards are going to be having dreams about that for a long time.   I'm thinking about changing my name to "UsemeLikeI'maGuardFromOxy".    

I can hear Kats talking to his players at half if his backcourt was getting bombed like that:

Kats: Sagehen teams have put up more banners than anyone.  We own this League. How many titles have you guys won? Two?!? You think that is something?!?  You see, pals, this thing is bigger than you. And you guys walk in a gym and expect them to rollover because it says Pomona on your jersey?  Nice guys? I don't give a sh#!. Good students? F you -- go back to Honnold and find a desk!! You wanna play here? Guard someone!! (to Knowles) You think this is abuse? You think this is abuse? You can't take this -- how can you take the abuse you get playing the Stags at their gym?! You don't like it -- leave. I can go out there tonight with our JV team and defend those Redlands guards! Tonight! Can you? Can you? Go and do likewise! A-I-D-A!! Get mad! You sons of female canines! Get mad!! You know what it takes to win in this league?
"I've won at every level, except grade school, junior high, high school and college."

sciacguru

Quote from: Pat Coleman on February 16, 2006, 08:04:37 PM
Nobody seems to have responded to this point, but I believe the one-game tiebreaker in the SCIAC only comes into play if the two tied teams split head to head games. If one team swept the other, the AQ is theirs.

Pat,

I dont think that holds true for the SCIAC.  Both teams are considered SCIAC champions but the AQ goes to the winner of the tie breaker game.  Back in 98/99 for the women's side, CLU beat PP both times, but both were 10-2 and they had a tie breaker game for the AQ.

http://cms.claremont.edu/sciac/98-99/women'sbasketball.htm

Pat Coleman

Quote from: sciacguru on February 16, 2006, 09:07:06 PM
  Both teams are considered SCIAC champions but the AQ goes to the winner of the tie breaker game.

I couldn't care less how the conference chooses to define "title" winners, just the AQ. Automatic qualifier. Bid to the tournament.

If the SCIAC wants to award that automatic bid based on best one out of three, hey, that's its right. But if one team sweeps the other head to head, why should that 0-2 team get a bid to the NCAA tournament by winning one of three?
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

sciacguru

Quote from: Pat Coleman on February 16, 2006, 09:14:33 PM
Quote from: sciacguru on February 16, 2006, 09:07:06 PM
  Both teams are considered SCIAC champions but the AQ goes to the winner of the tie breaker game.

I couldn't care less how the conference chooses to define "title" winners, just the AQ. Automatic qualifier. Bid to the tournament.

If the SCIAC wants to award that automatic bid based on best one out of three, hey, that's its right. But if one team sweeps the other head to head, why should that 0-2 team get a bid to the NCAA tournament by winning one of three?

Well Pat, how you care or feel really isnt relevant here, now is it???  Now you understand how the great administrators (presidents) of the SCIAC think.... in particular about athletics.  The other great thing about the SCIAC basketball rules/regulations deals with PP/CMS.  If the schedule comes out and PP/CMS play each other when their students are not back from break.....another schedule must be created, so it works out that they play when the students are back.  Nice little asterik there.  The SCIAC is a bit screwy to say the least.

dj_hyphen

Quote from: sciacguru on February 16, 2006, 07:35:39 PM
>>The only player/team I can remember actually willing to settle for 3's against them and do reasonably well with it was La Verne and Greenlee in particular lighting them up from deep.  So you NEVER need to shoot from outside to beat Redlands...<<

If this is true then you didnt see the Whittier vs Redlands stat line....
http://www.redlands.edu/prebuilt/pdf/athletics/2006basketball_mens/ur-wc.htm

:o nah i didn't see that originally...that's insane shooting by Whittier...so that makes 2 times I've seen teams decide to shoot 3's and handle Redlands...but my main points still remains, it's completely unnecessary

oh, and pardon me for not checking the box of a Redlands/Whittier game :D...

scandihoovian

Nice historical citation, Guru.  I did not know that about the SCIAC playoff. 

Well played.

Hyphen - I wouldn't have checked the Whittier Redlands box either but I'll give Guru props again for the research skills...