MBB: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Oxy'03SalemPavers, March 10, 2005, 12:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diehardfan

I don't know... it's an extremely physical game... and neither team seems to be having THAT much trouble.. CMS's John Parson is pretty good... fast. He keeps making this guy on Oxy look like an idiot by blowing by him.

Really though, I think both guys have stronger inside games. In other words, they'll take those layups you give them. :D It's a shame one of these teams has to lose. they are dead even.
Wait, dunks are only worth two points?!?!!!? Why does anyone do them? - diehardfan
What are Parkers now supposed to chant after every NP vs WC game, "Let's go enjoy tobacco products off-campus? - Gregory Sager
We all read it, but we don't take anything you say seriously - Luke Kasten

RIP WheatonC

Loggerville

Quote from: diehardfan on March 02, 2006, 11:27:31 PM
In other words, they'll take those layups you give them. :D

easy, we aren't the Bulldogs ya know...thanks for the update...should be a good one in T-town Sat. night.

OxyFan21

WestCoastWhiner

Fire up SCIAC fans!  Round 2 as the underdogs in the NW.  Tiger faithful are probably rallying pre-game at the Ram in Tacoma (8 minutes from the game) on 3001 N Ruston Way, Tacoma, WA 98402-5306.   I'll confirm that tomorrow and post it so those who are travelling from down south log on and confirm.

Logger fans.  We've got no chance.  Maybe the Stags but Oxy shouldn't even have been in the Tourney.   Good guys.  Be kind to them.  Hope they can give you a better game than a bottom-tier team in your conference.  May want to think about limiting the minutes of your starters and avoiding injuries. 

"I've won at every level, except grade school, junior high, high school and college."

OxyFan21

If the makeup of students at Oxy today is similar to when I was there in '96-'00, there should be a ton of students from the Seattle/Tacoma area.

Make it a weekend trip home, take your laundry with you, check those Ding fares, get a good home-cooked meal and bring back a Tiger win! 

old_hooper

I'm not an Oxy fan but look for an upset in Tacoma.  Why, Phillips and Bety will be the factor.  Newhell is a good enough coach to figure out the pressure and will have a better game plan then Bridgeland.

diehardfan

:D Terrible WCW... play nice :P

Oxy played a good game. I'm not sure they are the better team, and I'm unsure of how they would compare them to Puget Sound... whom I saw earlier this year. Hmmmmm...

Loggerville... 50 on Oxy... I like that kid. You wouldn't know it from the season stats... if you were actually able to find them, but he landed some key shots tonight. Anyone can guard better than #11 anyway, bless his heart... that kid  needs to run some suicides. :-/

20, on CMS was the best guy out on the floor for sure... grabs box score and looks at it while driving...Miles Taylor... did a great job of keeping his team in it.

Pat, does this officially make two things of mine that you are jealous of? Tell you what... I'll trade my car and my phone for a d3hoops.com press pass and your cute middle child  that I met at Catholic  last year?
Wait, dunks are only worth two points?!?!!!? Why does anyone do them? - diehardfan
What are Parkers now supposed to chant after every NP vs WC game, "Let's go enjoy tobacco products off-campus? - Gregory Sager

RIP WheatonC

Pat Coleman

Quote from: diehardfan on March 03, 2006, 12:51:22 AM
Pat, does this officially make two things of mine that you are jealous of? Tell you what... I'll trade my car and my phone for a d3hoops.com press pass and your cute middle child  that I met at Catholic  last year?

Whoa ... uhh, no, love that boy to death. And the girls, too. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

dj_hyphen

i wonder if i should make the trip down to UPS from Seattle this weekend...what time is the game?

diehardfan

RIP WheatonC

Pat Coleman

Quote from: dj_hyphen on March 03, 2006, 01:03:50 AM
i wonder if i should make the trip down to UPS from Seattle this weekend...what time is the game?

All second-round games are at 7 local time.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Stags4Life

So Oxy defeated CMS tonight 48-41 and although Oxy has defeated CMS twice now of three matchups, I think most honest and knowledgeable fans would agree that CMS was actually the better team.  I think tonight that Oxy got a lot of breaks down the stretch that enabled them to get the win.  The things that come to mind are the mysterious offensive foul called on Taylor while driving past Zebb, the two offensive rebounds that tipped around players' hands before landing in an Oxy players hand under the basket for a layup, the two in and out threes in the last minute, and the no call when Taylor got clearlyshoved in the back trying to grab a rebound of one of those threes.  CMS played a horrible first half offensively, missing many layups.  They picked it up in the second half and Miles Taylor began dominating as he has all year.  Mani Maceira missed a few midrange jumpers that he usually sinks with ease and John Parsons and Dan Winterbottom were a combined 1 for 11 from 3pt.  From Oxy's standpoint, they did not do that much better offensively but it was enough to win.  Defensively, CMS limited Oxy's big guns as they had in the previous two meetings.  The difference might have been Oxy's defense if not CMS' missed layups.  Oxy's D pressured well and the Stags were not able to handle the physical play in the first half.  In the second half, the true CMS squad showed up and they pretty much dominated most of the second half.  The first half lapse was too much to overcome and it did not help playing in the Oxy gym which was a clear, and probably one of the bigger "breaks" that Oxy got.  I do not think Oxy would have had a chance at Ducey where the Stags finished undefeated this year.

Anyways, it was a great season for the Stags and they deserve to be called the 2006 SCIAC Champions, finishing with a record of 13-1, a mark only reached twice before in SCIAC history.  I will be gone from the board for a while now and I may or may not be back for next year.  It has been great chatting with the board even though it's mostly Oxy fans.  And one more thing, have any of you Oxy fans noticed how much of a jacka$$ and disespectful Connor Whitman is, or is it just me?

Have a good year and Go Stags!

--Stags4Life
CMS Stags are the 2006 SCIAC Champions!

http://cms.claremont.edu/varsitysports/basketballM/

Loggerville

Quote from: old_hooper on March 03, 2006, 12:15:04 AM
Newhell is a good enough coach to figure out the pressure and will have a better game plan then Bridgeland.

Old Hooper:  and you are basing this coaching advantage on what now?  I'm sure Newheel is a fine coach, just not sure why you are so confident he will out coach Bridgeland?  For your sake (the the Tigers) you better hope he has a hell of a lot better game plan...playing Thursday, traveling, and facing a Logger team that is 45-3 at home the last four years, with the last two L's being an NAIA top ten this year and Stevens Point in '04, is a lot for your boys to try and overcome.  Maybe the

OxyFan21

From what I understand, the Tigers planned ahead as though they were going to be playing on Saturday in terms of making tentative travel arrangements, etc.  Having traveled to Utah State and playing at a tough Azusa Pacific this year, I don't think they will be too intimidated by the environment.  They have also played at UNLV in the last year as well.  But, we'll see tomorrow.

Also, I think traveling to Tacoma may be a little less stressful than say...Storm Lake, IA.  And we all remember what happened then.

I don't know much about UPS' coach, but I know that Newhall has top of the line assistants.  For UPS fans, you'll see what I mean come Saturday.

Hoping for a good game Saturday night.  Nobody gave this team a shot of even making the tournament, and now we are into Round 2.

TeeDub

Quote from: Stags4Life on March 03, 2006, 04:51:41 AM
So Oxy defeated CMS tonight 48-41 and although Oxy has defeated CMS twice now of three matchups, I think most honest and knowledgeable fans would agree that CMS was actually the better team.  I think tonight that Oxy got a lot of breaks down the stretch that enabled them to get the win.  The things that come to mind are the mysterious offensive foul called on Taylor while driving past Zebb, the two offensive rebounds that tipped around players' hands before landing in an Oxy players hand under the basket for a layup, the two in and out threes in the last minute, and the no call when Taylor got clearlyshoved in the back trying to grab a rebound of one of those threes.  CMS played a horrible first half offensively, missing many layups.  They picked it up in the second half and Miles Taylor began dominating as he has all year.  Mani Maceira missed a few midrange jumpers that he usually sinks with ease and John Parsons and Dan Winterbottom were a combined 1 for 11 from 3pt.  From Oxy's standpoint, they did not do that much better offensively but it was enough to win.  Defensively, CMS limited Oxy's big guns as they had in the previous two meetings.  The difference might have been Oxy's defense if not CMS' missed layups.  Oxy's D pressured well and the Stags were not able to handle the physical play in the first half.  In the second half, the true CMS squad showed up and they pretty much dominated most of the second half.  The first half lapse was too much to overcome and it did not help playing in the Oxy gym which was a clear, and probably one of the bigger "breaks" that Oxy got.  I do not think Oxy would have had a chance at Ducey where the Stags finished undefeated this year.

--Stags4Life

Oh to see the world through CMS-colored glasses....

I don't think CMS is the better 'team', rather they have a few better 'players'.  Oxy had to step up and play without their go-to-guy for almost the entire first half after Betty got popped for 3 fouls, two of which were (given how you measured calls above) questionable.  I found it amazing that Taylor, Parsons and Maceira couldn't take advantage of a Betty-less Oxy team in that first half...

In the second half, no doubt who the cream of this crop was, MILES TAYLOR.  He dominated the floor and singlehandedly got the game even at 37 -37 with about 4 to go.  And then, for some inexplicable reason, he doesn't touch the rock the next 4 trips down the floor.  Parsons was all but shut out of the second half and I think his desire to contribute may have gotten in the way, he took an ill-advised three during that 4 possession run and Maceira took two very 'interesting' shots, all during a time when Oxy had no answer for Taylor.  Oxy goes up 43-37 during that time of Taylor-less CMS offense and then late game panic set in and the game was over.

Taylor, however, definitely showed why he was the POY in the SCIAC, too bad the others didn't recognize what they had in him last night.