MBB: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Oxy'03SalemPavers, March 10, 2005, 12:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scandihoovian

Quote from: Stags4Life on March 03, 2006, 04:51:41 AM
So Oxy defeated CMS tonight 48-41 and although Oxy has defeated CMS twice now of three matchups, I think most honest and knowledgeable fans would agree that CMS was actually the better team.  I think tonight that Oxy got a lot of breaks down the stretch that enabled them to get the win.  ...  CMS played a horrible first half offensively, missing many layups.  ...  Mani Maceira missed a few midrange jumpers that he usually sinks with ease and John Parsons and Dan Winterbottom were a combined 1 for 11 from 3pt.  ... The difference might have been Oxy's defense if not CMS' missed layups.  Oxy's D pressured well and the Stags were not able to handle the physical play in the first half.  In the second half, the true CMS squad showed up and they pretty much dominated most of the second half.  The first half lapse was too much to overcome and it did not help playing in the Oxy gym which was a clear, and probably one of the bigger "breaks" that Oxy got.  I do not think Oxy would have had a chance at Ducey where the Stags finished undefeated this year.

--Stags4Life

I am a bit befuddled by your post, and I am among those who thought CMS was the better of the two teams.  I didn't listen to last night's game, but it's hard to believe it came down to a few bad breaks when you then provide a litany of things the Stags did poorly.  It's the NCAA tournament, you can't have a bunch of breakdowns against a good team and expect to win.

Congratulations to the Stags on a good run through the conference and a well deserved championship, and good luck to the Tigers as they head north to play UPS.  This is a real chance for Oxy to demonstrate their early season promise was for real.

Howlinwolf

Two words for Stag4Life: Sour grapes.

I agree that there isn't much difference between these two teams. And I agree CMS misses a number of chip shots. Nerves? Better interior defense by Oxy? Whatever, they didn't drop. CMS's seniors didn't play with the leadership and composure it takes to win in the playoffs.

Miles Taylor is a very good player, but if I had a nickel for every lowered shoulder he lays into a defender, I'd be retired by now. Beefing about that single call makes little sense, never mind shots that "normally" would have fallen.

To end your post with an unfounded knock on Whitman is classless.

The three games against Oxy were tight, physical battles against two determined teams.  Congrats. CMS had a great season.

bballfan2

Quote from: Howlinwolf on March 03, 2006, 11:25:45 AM
Miles Taylor is a very good player, but if I had a nickel for every lowered shoulder he lays into a defender, I'd be retired by now. Beefing about that single call makes little sense, never mind shots that "normally" would have fallen.

To end your post with an unfounded knock on Whitman is classless.

For starters if he drops his shoulder then take a charge. And second, way to deliver a backhanded compliment then tell Howlin to be more classy. 

Finally, posting's been fun, but after a fun career I think I'm about to retire my playing and posting, good luck to Oxy up at UPS. Though I reserve the right to make the occasional Fosheezie like appearance.

ds0097

Quote from: WestCoastWhiner on March 02, 2006, 11:49:06 PM
Tiger faithful are probably rallying pre-game at the Ram in Tacoma (8 minutes from the game) on 3001 N Ruston Way, Tacoma, WA 98402-5306. 

I would recomend either doing your pregame at The Spar (2121 North 30th Street, Tacoma, WA 98403, www.the-spar.com) or Katie Downs (3211 Ruston Way, Tacoma, Washington), both are right by the Ram, have better food, and most importantly, much better beer. Katie Downs has better TVs, but has a mellower atmosphere because it doesn't get too many college students (so maybe classier is a better description...). The Spar has more of a bar atmosphere and will be livelier and will probably have better specials. It also will have some Loggers, whatever effect that has on your decision...

dj_hyphen

i recommend that you stay out of Tacoma in general except for the game  :D

Browneagle64

Congrats to the tigers for doing their best against a good stags team. The last few post pointed out pretty much what the game came out to be like and how the environment looked around the gym.

Good luck heading up north and playing in tacoma. It's awesome up there and should be the right setting for the tigers to take round 2 away from the Loggers.

Tigersports---- will you be streaming the game on-line this weekend?

Go Tigers
"Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamppost: for support, not illumination."--Vin Scully

"I don't really care," he said with an impish smile. "It's all about the Dodgers. I don't think anyone really watches hockey anymore.".....Tiger Woods

Loggerville

Quote from: ds0097 on March 03, 2006, 12:10:58 PM
I would recomend either doing your pregame at The Spar (2121 North 30th Street, Tacoma, WA 98403, www.the-spar.com) or Katie Downs (3211 Ruston Way, Tacoma, Washington), both are right by the Ram, have better food, and most importantly, much better beer. Katie Downs has better TVs, but has a mellower atmosphere because it doesn't get too many college students (so maybe classier is a better description...). The Spar has more of a bar atmosphere and will be livelier and will probably have better specials. It also will have some Loggers, whatever effect that has on your decision...

both of those are good suggestions for the classy crowd.  for those looking to have a true Tacoma-type experience, head to the West End Tavern on the southeast corner of 6th Ave and N. Proctor.  Pluses included cheap drinks, good food, sightings of local T-town freaks, and most importantly, you can stumble the six blocks or so it is away from the Fieldhouse.  Dive bar doesn't begin to discribe this place, though it is a pre and post game fav.

sciacguru

Quote from: OxyFan21 on March 03, 2006, 10:05:00 AM
From what I understand, the Tigers planned ahead as though they were going to be playing on Saturday in terms of making tentative travel arrangements, etc.  Having traveled to Utah State and playing at a tough Azusa Pacific this year, I don't think they will be too intimidated by the environment.  They have also played at UNLV in the last year as well.  But, we'll see tomorrow.

Also, I think traveling to Tacoma may be a little less stressful than say...Storm Lake, IA.  And we all remember what happened then.

I don't know much about UPS' coach, but I know that Newhall has top of the line assistants.  For UPS fans, you'll see what I mean come Saturday.

I dont think you can compare what the Tigers are going to face at UPS with their games at UNLV, Utah State and AZUSA.  I am pretty sure there were not 3000+ plus fans ranting and raving at those venues, and they werent NCAA atmospheres....granted they were against better talent.  But this is not a throw away game...this is a tournament game on the road.  And the crowd will be relentless.  As for Storm Lake, IA with 7 seniors on that OXY squad, this is much different.  They are playing a team in UPS that is relentless defensively.  They dont walk the ball up, and dont allow teams to run their offense.  Plus, Phillips is the only one that experienced that atmosphere.......from the bench.   I wish the Tigers/SCIAC the best of luck.  But going against that UPS squad at their place will  be nothing they have ever experienced in the last 2 years.

ds0097

Quote from: Loggerville on March 03, 2006, 01:40:26 PM
both of those are good suggestions for the classy crowd.  for those looking to have a true Tacoma-type experience, head to the West End Tavern on the southeast corner of 6th Ave and N. Proctor.  Pluses included cheap drinks, good food, sightings of local T-town freaks, and most importantly, you can stumble the six blocks or so it is away from the Fieldhouse.  Dive bar doesn't begin to discribe this place, though it is a pre and post game fav.

Loggerville, do you really want it on our heads if one of the Oxy fans gets shot before the game? Of course it is a much truer representation of Tacompton...

OxyD

Quote from: Jordis Rocks on March 03, 2006, 10:48:26 AM
I don't think CMS is the better 'team', rather they have a few better 'players'. 

I'd actually argue (with plenty of bias, of course) that Oxy's got the better team and the better players. Betty played 25 minutes, Taylor played 36. Betty scored 11, Taylor scored 16. Taylor might have had a bigger impact on his team, but that's only because the rest of them either can't shot the ball or think they are Reggie Miller and throw up 40-footers with 30 seconds on the shot clock. Betty doesn't have to drive every time he puts his hands on the ball because he knows that someone else will be able to contribute. Instead, he waits for good opportunities. That explains his 4-5 from the field as opposed to Taylor's 6-11.

They're both good players, but I don't think the evidence clearly favors Taylor. The game would have been much different if Betty hadn't gotten in foul trouble early.

Additionally, Betty has been really sick this past week. He hasn't been in class at all. Just throwing that out there.

My favorite part of the game: "we chose oxy."

OxyD

Forgot to add this one bit:

11/25 = .44 PPM
16/36 = .44

Eye of da TIGER

Very exciting game last night!!! The gym was rocking last nite, but maybe thats becuse i was sitting in the middle of the Oxy student section.  Congrats to both the Tigers and the Stags.  Its too bad I cant make the road trip up to Tacoma this Saturday.  With two test reviews on friday, the infamous LigerLover's 22nd bday celebration, and on top of that a 23 hour bus ride to Cabo San Lucas for spring break next week, Im going to have to cheer on my Tigers from Eagle Rock. 

OxyD,
I'm glad that you enjoyed the "We Chose Oxy" chant.  We had to come up with something to fire back at the CMS fans for the "Secondary School" and "CMS Rejects" chant.  I think we did a good job of that. ;D
4 is the smallest composite number, its proper divisors being 1 and 2. 4 is the smallest squared prime. 4 is the only number in the English language for which the number of letters in its name is equal to the number itself. 4 is also the number of titles in a row the tigers will have in '07!! Go Oxy

TeeDub

Quote from: OxyD on March 03, 2006, 02:28:20 PM
Quote from: Jordis Rocks on March 03, 2006, 10:48:26 AM
I don't think CMS is the better 'team', rather they have a few better 'players'. 

I'd actually argue (with plenty of bias, of course) that Oxy's got the better team and the better players. Betty played 25 minutes, Taylor played 36. Betty scored 11, Taylor scored 16. Taylor might have had a bigger impact on his team, but that's only because the rest of them either can't shot the ball or think they are Reggie Miller and throw up 40-footers with 30 seconds on the shot clock. Betty doesn't have to drive every time he puts his hands on the ball because he knows that someone else will be able to contribute. Instead, he waits for good opportunities. That explains his 4-5 from the field as opposed to Taylor's 6-11.

Dude, don't get me wrong, I think Betty is awesome....and, Phillips is solid, Kostic is solid, Whitman can get you on some nights and Zebb is a tough competitor...all that being said I still think that Taylor is the most well-rounded, multi-dimensional player the SCIAC has to offer and Parsons "should be" the best guard in the conference given his athleticism and poise.  I wasn't basing my previous statement on last night's game.  If I were, Parsons would have had his First Team - All Conference status removed.  Maceira too for that matter.  I just meant over the course of the season, the Oxy squad is one that has good players who play very well together (even though I wish they would have fed Betty in the post a little more last night) while CMS has two or three very good players who don't seem to connect with one another very well.

FYI: I really have no allegiance to either program.

WestCoastWhiner

Checked out the NWC's thread, pretty much dead.  Maybe it is because UPS has been so dominant everyone else has gone on to other things.  That or the kids would rather be sipping their latte's at SBucks staying out of the rain.  Interesting that UPS has been able to generate such a following.  3000 fans is legit, especially given that the regular hoops fans will be at the Dome watching 3A ball.  We can look to model ourselves after the NWC in some respects.  The NWC has been running their athletic operations at a different level for a number of years now.   Take a look at their conference Website and you will understand immediately that these institutions care about excellence.  

Smart of Pacific to tap into a Kats protoge for their future.  Look for Pacific in the Sweet 16 within 4 years.  

UPS program is on a different level.  Good coaches, tough talent, solid system and consistent institutional support.  You don't beat UC Riverside unless you are legit - even as bad of a D1 as they are.  Still, I'm not counting out Newhall & staff, because these guys are finding ways to get things done in the Tourney and against higher ranked teams that no SCIAC team has done.  UPS has a crazy system but I'm not sure it is more solid than Oxy's.  Just different.   I will say that I think UPS's system will run into some serious issues against the UW schools, where the talent gaps flip the other way.  

I'll be there pulling for our boys to give them a game.  And you never know, on any given night...

"I've won at every level, except grade school, junior high, high school and college."

walzy31

Thanks to the SCIAC

MCLA (MASCAC) to Duke (ACC)

MCLA beat Fitchburg St. by 4
Fitchburg St. beat Newbury by 4
Newbury beat Roger Williams by 20
Roger Williams beat Curry by 5
Curry beat Trinity by 5
Trinity beat Amherst by 3
Amherst beat Pomona-Pitzer by 19
Pomona-Pitzer beat Whitworth by 4
Whitworth beat Puget Sound by 24