MBB: MAC Freedom League

Started by ljk, March 14, 2005, 09:28:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ljk

N.:  You make a good point about these young players getting tired so easily.  The annoying Billy Packer mentions it almost in everyone of his broadcasts.  If a player does get tired, get him out of the game and put in some fresh legs.  If the fatigue continues, the players loses some minutes and must be put on some kind of conditioning regimen.  It just seems like another excuse a losing coach uses in defeat.

bballspectator

LJK  tired legs not an excuse for kings. york played well and deserved to win and head to final four.
However, if one team expends the energy kings did against a team that is athletic and full courts you all game and another team gets to rest the last 12 minutes of the previous game the night before, one team will have fresher legs than the other.
Its not young kids shouldn't get tired legs, one team had to use more energy than the other in the previous game, so one was not as rested as the other
Perhaps the correct wording should be Kings had more tired legs than york  most obvious evidence was kings 46% shooting from foul line and struggle from trey land. those shots all about legs
York played impressive and deserved to win that game, kings did not. congrats york

William Wallace

Have any of you ever played a college basketball game before??  Or even a high school basketball game for that matter??  Fatigue is definitely an issue and 20 year olds do get tired.  Now, it's definitely not an excuse, especially if both teams played the night before.  But it does happen and it is definitely a factor.  Playing in a tough, physical college game can leave you feeling like you can't get out of bed the next day.

d-mac

Tired legs might have been one thing... but how about arms. Kings shot 46% from the FT line... including a 2-8 (I think) performance from the team's best shooter - Horgan.

The team was tired... but York was disciplined. However, York did not play their best game at all. I have seen them in one of their two loses and in a a bunch of their wins... that was the first time I was disappointed a little in their play. However, they still got what they needed to do done.

Congrats to Kings for representing the MAC Freedom and the region well. They were a very good team.

naismith

WW, BBall, LJK, DMAc,

I stick to my original thoughts:
Kings lost to York because:
1)York is probably the better team
2)JP had precious little time to prepare for this game
3) Kings did not execute.

Of those three, I reiterate my point that Kings had three players (Sobo, JC and Moore) who may have played their best games all on the same night.
That didn't happen on Saturday.

Naismith

Bob Ziadie

d-mac:

Perhaps York did not play its best game because King's had something to do with that.  King's certainly did not play their best game either, and York gets credit for that as well. That is happens when good teams play each other - they make things more difficult  and that is why a game like that is never easy.

The one thing nobody is mentioning here is that York made a strategic move in the second half which made a big difference in the game and that was to go with a smaller lineup.  Despite York's big advantage in size, King's contolled the paint and thus the tempo of the game.  

York's coach, to his credit, made the adjustment and went much smaller in the second half  and that additional quickness and athleticsm affected the game right from the first possession of the second half.  

King's did get tired. They were a step slower defensively and many shots were banging off the front of the rim. York's increased pace contributed to King's fatigue and all the credit goes to York, especially their coach who made an adjustment which worked well.

I thought York was an excellent team and was VERY impressed in seeng them againt WPI Friday night.  They play very well as a team and like King's, are extremely unselfish. It was good to watch two teams play selfless basketball. I think York was a tad deeper on the bench and that factored in as well.  King's played their hearts out and left nothing on the floor, its wasn't enough and that is part of the game.

Naismith, I thought Soboleski played very well against York, posting 13 points and eight rebounds with two blocks. He may have had his best game againt Ramapo, but his play against York was one of the reasons the Spartans went small in the second half.

naismith

Bob,

I agree.  
Sobo was a force the entire tournament.
I simply meant that collectively those three players had their 'best' games against Ramapo.

I don't think they played as well 'collectively' against York.

I heard the York game on radio. It certainly sounded like Sobo was a force once again.

And that's an excellent point on the York 2nd half adjustments.  Looking down their bench Fri. nite, though, I didn't see too much small....lol.

Naismith

ljk

How come York's 2nd half smaller subs weren't "tired" from playing so many minutes in Friday nights game?  From what I understand, York rested its starters a good portion of that game.  Did the less tired team or the better team win?  Does King's win if they are well rested?  Back to backs are tough, but thats the way the tournament  
is set up, and it is the same for all the teams.  With hardly any time to analyze your opponent for Sat's game, Coaching game adjustments become crucial, and it sounds like the Coach of York did an outstanding job in that regard.

ColonelJohn4Life

York gets smoked tonight.  Oh well... kinda saw this one coming.  Congrats to UWSP.

Bob Ziadie

LJK:

From Wednesday, March 16.....

"Did the less tired team or the better team win? Does King's win if they are well rested?"

No one will ever now either answer, but the fact remains that the team that played better than night (York) won the game.  That is all that really matters.

CJ:
Looks like UWSP smoked everyone......and without their starting point-guard.  That must be one NASTY team.

Matthew Burdett

Just a quick thought to bite on:  I just saw the Division 3 All-American team and I was surprised to not see Brian Horgan's name anywhere.  I would think that Horgan would rank with the Top 20 or 25 players in the country.  Was hoping to see him get the nod.  
Upset Special of the NCAA:  Wisconsin-Milwaukee over Illinois.  Just a hunch.

ljk

MB:  Horgan was named to the National Association of Basketball Coaches III All American Team as a third team selection.

swish

LJK- Can you tell me where to find the link for the all-American team. I went on the NABC site but the most recent list is from 2003-04.

William Wallace

this board sucks wanker

Adam Burdett

Once again, the Williamsport area dazzles us with some intelligent conversation.