MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

The CCIW has had a whole bunch of head-to-head meetings in the big dance over the years -- I can count nine of 'em right off of the top of my head -- but a CCIW H2H hasn't happened in the opening weekend of the tourney since 1990, which is ancient history in terms of how the D3 tourney is currently constructed. As Lucas said, the national committee consciously avoids putting teams from the same league in the same opening-weekend pod, aside from the island teams from the Pacific Northwest, southern California, and Texas -- and even in those instances, in which travel-budget restrictions necessitate putting two teams from the same league in the same pod, they never play each other in the first round.

Augie is almost a cinch to draw a #1 seed in one of the four sections of the bracket. Whether it hosts a pod or not depends upon the intentions of the committee: Do they split up Augie, UWO, and NWU if they're three of the top four teams in the nation in terms of the tourney's measuring criteria? If so, they might ship Augustana east in order to balance out the national field and avoid a Bracket of Death out here in the midwestern part of the country. If Augie does host a pod, look for the Rock Islanders to face as their opening-round opponent the SLIAC rep (probably Greenville or Webster), the NACC rep (MSOE and Concordia WI appear to be the favorites to win that autobid), the MWC rep if it's Grinnell or Lake Forest (if it's St. Norbert, the Green Knights might be a third seed within a pod rather than a fourth seed), or the UMAC rep (Northwestern and Bethany Lutheran are the best bets to win that autobid).

Nobody knows who the #2 and #3 teams in Rock Island would be, of course, but there's an intriguing possibility that Augie could face Loras in the second round of the opening weekend. After all, the Duhawks aren't going to be sent to Lincoln, NE, for the same reason that a CCIW at-large isn't going to be sent to the Carver P.E. Center on opening weekend.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

pgkevin

Quote from: AndOne on February 14, 2019, 11:55:48 PM
Quote from: kiko on February 13, 2019, 10:04:10 PM
North Central wins in Kenosha, 85-54.  I did not get home in time to watch this one live, but of note is the fact that Matt Cappelletti logged zero minutes tonight.  I'm sure someone can chime in with context as I'm not sure what led to this, but I hope it was a one-off.

Blaise Meredith with 22 and 14
Connor Raridon with 21 and 8 boards
Aaron Jones with 10 and 5 assists

For Carthage:
Kienan Baltimore with 16
Jordan Kedrowski with 14
Sean Johnson with 10

Carthage was just 4-of-29 from three in this one.

As kiko indicated, North Central was led last night by soph Blaise Meredith who had his best game as a Cardinal with a monster double-double with 22 and 14. The 31 point NCC advantage might have been even more if the Cardinals had offered even token resistance to the last 2 baskets of the game by Carthage, both 3 pointers by Jordan Kedrowski.

Even moreso than the large margin of victory, the most noteworthy features of this game were 1) the apparent surrender of the Redmen about midway through the first half, after which their play was pretty devoid of any sense of urgency, and lacking of any observable degree of sustained effort. Basically, just playing out the string. And 2) Bosko's seemingly detached approach to the game. It appeared to the majority of the NCC contingent that he really wasn't into the game very much. Rather than his usual degree of engagement, barking at the officials, and yelling instructions to his players, he just sat rather quietly on the bench much of the game, apparently resigned to what proved to be the ultimate outcome. Again, this was the feeling of not just a few, but of most of the NCC contingent in attendance. Perhaps he is looking forward to a fresh start next year when all but one of his players will be eligible to return.

AndOne-

You are probably correct in pointing out that I do tend to just lob a shot your way then disappear for awhile.  There is no vendetta against you.  But, I owe you an explanation and a reasoned well thought out post as to why I do disagree with a lot of your posts, and comment accordingly.  I guess it's posts like the one I quoted that bother me.  I fully respect your passion and dedication to your NCC Cardinals and your knowledge of basketball in general.  It is very impressive on all fronts.  But, I lurk quite a bit on these boards, and I think I have developed a pretty good sense of different posters and their contributions.  It seems like quite a bit of the other posters (Greg, Q, and the few Wheaton, Elmhurst and Augie guys are mostly who I'm referring to) seem to always provide fair, critiqued and nuanced insight into their teams, and will always point out and bring up the bad with the good.  I believe Greg and Q seem to post after every game win or lose.  Yes their posts seem to be much shorter after losses than wins, but they still report back on their insights.

With all that being said, you did not give us a game report after either of the two recent North Central losses.  But, as soon as they are back on the winning side of the ledger, you pop back up.  No huge issues here, lots of fans don't want to post about negatives of their own teams, so I don't begrudge you too much on this point.  The one that gets stuck in my craw a little deeper is when you turn towards other teams.  It's either a positive North Central post, or a negative post about another school.  Questioning the Carthage coach, bringing up technical fouls on other teams whenever you hear of them, mentioning the outlandish celebration styles of opponents, questioning the motivations of any number of transfer students, bringing up potential legal or grade issues with other students at other schools...that act just wears thin.  Especially the part where you imply something that we all know what you are talking about, and then go back and deny that you never technically said the thing you get called on.  The world is not black and white, the Cardinals do not do everything right, and other schools do not do everything wrong.  So many of us are drawn to D3 sports because the vast majority of people involved are in it for the right reasons.  Good students, good coaches, good kids, good basketball players.  That deserves to be celebrated and applauded.  Every once in awhile, people slip up.  I just personally feel like you take joy in the slip ups of others if they are wearing a non NCC jersey, and ignore when a cardinal red uniformed player or coach makes a similar slip up.

In anticipating your response, I am sure you will be able to cite different examples of when you were positive towards other teams and negative towards your own.  I don't begrudge you that point.  I just seem to recall those moments being few and far between, with more posts categorized in the manner I have listed above.

I fully don't intend to turn into a 2nd version of wheels81 and be your major foil on this board, but you asked, and I felt I owed it to you to give you a response.  I really don't harbor any ill will towards you (or anyone for that matter), I just get frustrated at times with your approach to posting on this forum.  I am sure this will elicit a response, and you deserve every chance to do so.  I just don't think I'll go back and forth very much on it.  It absolutely could be because I'm looking for these occurrences, so they seem more plentiful than actual reality proves.  I just think someone with your knowledge of basketball and the D3 landscape could do wonders to educate us on the good and bad of the entire CCIW instead of focusing on the things I've mentioned.

sac

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 15, 2019, 11:37:17 AM
The CCIW has had a whole bunch of head-to-head meetings in the big dance over the years -- I can count nine of 'em right off of the top of my head -- but a CCIW H2H hasn't happened in the opening weekend of the tourney since 1990, which is ancient history in terms of how the D3 tourney is currently constructed. As Lucas said, the national committee consciously avoids putting teams from the same league in the same opening-weekend pod, aside from the island teams from the Pacific Northwest, southern California, and Texas -- and even in those instances, in which travel-budget restrictions necessitate putting two teams from the same league in the same pod, they never play each other in the first round.

Augie is almost a cinch to draw a #1 seed in one of the four sections of the bracket. Whether it hosts a pod or not depends upon the intentions of the committee: Do they split up Augie, UWO, and NWU if they're three of the top four teams in the nation in terms of the tourney's measuring criteria? If so, they might ship Augustana east in order to balance out the national field and avoid a Bracket of Death out here in the midwestern part of the country. If Augie does host a pod, look for the Rock Islanders to face as their opening-round opponent the SLIAC rep (probably Greenville or Webster), the NACC rep (MSOE and Concordia WI appear to be the favorites to win that autobid), the MWC rep if it's Grinnell or Lake Forest (if it's St. Norbert, the Green Knights might be a third seed within a pod rather than a fourth seed), or the UMAC rep (Northwestern and Bethany Lutheran are the best bets to win that autobid).

Nobody knows who the #2 and #3 teams in Rock Island would be, of course, but there's an intriguing possibility that Augie could face Loras in the second round of the opening weekend. After all, the Duhawks aren't going to be sent to Lincoln, NE, for the same reason that a CCIW at-large isn't going to be sent to the Carver P.E. Center on opening weekend.
Watch who wins the MIAA, about 3 or 4 of those teams are probably "4 seeds" in any 4 team pod and 2 more are borderline 3/4's.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: sac on February 15, 2019, 12:40:08 PM

Watch who wins the MIAA, about 3 or 4 of those teams are probably "4 seeds" in any 4 team pod and 2 more are borderline 3/4's.

Good point ... and who knows where that MIAA team would get sent.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

thunder38

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 15, 2019, 12:51:18 PM

I think I'd be surprised if the SLIAC rep ends up getting sent to Rock Island since there are only a handful of spots that could get to Nebraska Wesleyan and the SLIAC is almost certainly one of them. I'd imagine that NWU could get both the SLIAC and UMAC with the MIAC #2 getting sent down to Lincoln as well and then a second WIAC, the NACC, and perhaps the MIAA ending up in Rock Island.
You win some, you lose some, and sometimes it rains.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: thunder38 on February 15, 2019, 04:25:59 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 15, 2019, 12:51:18 PM

I think I'd be surprised if the SLIAC rep ends up getting sent to Rock Island since there are only a handful of spots that could get to Nebraska Wesleyan and the SLIAC is almost certainly one of them. I'd imagine that NWU could get both the SLIAC and UMAC with the MIAC #2 getting sent down to Lincoln as well and then a second WIAC, the NACC, and perhaps the MIAA ending up in Rock Island.

NCC is 499 to NWU; Wheaton is 503.  A lot will depend on how the CCIW tournament works out.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Gregory Sager

Quote from: thunder38 on February 15, 2019, 04:25:59 PM

The UMAC rep can get to Lincoln just as easily as can the SLIAC rep, barring an unlikely result in the UMAC tourney vaulting St. Scholastica (14-10, 10-5, tied for 3rd in the UMAC) to the UMAC's Pool A berth. And the SLIAC rep provides more geographical flexibility than does the UMAC rep; you can get Greenville to Centre, Wooster, Capital, or Marietta, and you can get Webster to Centre or Capital.

I don't envision the UMAC rep and the SLIAC rep ending up in the same pod; since they'll be two of the lowest-rated teams in the field, they're both very likely candidates to be playing the hosts of pods (i.e., each of them will get stuck playing one of the Big Four in the opening round).

iwu70

Congrats to Big Jack on his finalist nomination for the Hall of Fame.  Hope he makes it too. 

'70

Titan Q

Illinois Wesleyan (16-8, 9-6) at Carroll (11-13, 7-8), 4pm...

Titans (16-8, 9-6)
G - Brady Rose, 6-3/185 Sr.  20.9 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 3.8 apg
G - Colin Bonnett, 6-4/190 Sr.  12.0 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 2.6 apg
G - Jason Gregoire, 6-4/205 Sr.  9.7 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 2.7 apg
F - Doug Wallen, 6-5/210 So. 7.4 ppg, 4.3 rpg
F - Danny Baker, 6-6/210 Sr.  3.4 ppg, 3.6 rpg

Pioneers (11-13, 7-8)
G - Ryan Clarey, 6-0/180 Sr.  7.1 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 2.3 apg
G - Troy Howat, 6-2/175 Sr.  9.8 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 1.8 apg
G - Nick Penny, 6-2/185 Jr.  10.5 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 1.8 apg
F - Kale Maupin, 6-4/190 Jr.  5.9 ppg, 4.3 rpg
F - Tyler Ingebrightsen, 6-7/225 Sr.  8.8 ppg, 3.3 rpg

Pantagraph - https://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/basketball/men/iwu-seeks-sixth-straight-win-in-regular-season-finale-at/article_83eee1f5-9d00-5619-aef2-31e917e9c969.html

Video - https://portal.stretchinternet.com/carroll/

WEXG Radio - https://radio.securenetsystems.net/v5/index.cfm?stationCallSign=WWHP

Stats - https://gopios.com/sidearmstats/mbball/summary

Titan Q

Not sure if this Augustana recruit's name hit the board...

https://www.kcchronicle.com/lists/2019/02/14/90e16ab330bb445f82d390c41fbbbe5b/index.xml?page=1

* Nate Ortiz, 6-2 SG (St. Charles East HS) - 16 ppg

A Division III head coach told me of Ortiz: "Dude is a gamer. Typical Augie combo guard. Gritty. Tough. Can shoot, not lights out but good. Great defender."

Titan Q

The North Central at Elmhurst game is important in terms of Pool C.  I think NCC is in a must-win situation there -- as I look at the data, it seems that a loss would put NCC on the wrong side of the bubble for good.

http://www.fantastic50.net/d3h_men.html

https://tomaroonandgold.blogspot.com/p/division-iii-mens-regional-rankings.html

Gregory Sager

Gregory Sager