MBB: Northwest Conference

Started by The Show, March 06, 2005, 08:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Loggerville on November 14, 2005, 06:19:57 PM
Have to agree with SpooH SreggoLregarding McVey.   ???  Perhaps McVey can tape this list inside his locker and remind himself of the haters out there each night.  Scary when he plays with passion.

Two things come to mind:

1) He doesn't always play with passion??
2) Just because someone isn't on a preseason team, or in a preseason poll, doesn't mean we hate him. There are 390 men's basketball teams and 25 slots, so with 1,950 starters alone in Division III and over 200 first-team all-conference players, keep in mind the competition is fierce.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Himjay23

After these first few games, here are some thoughts on how the league looks this year. I know its very early but here are some observations.

1- The league looks to be a lot more balanced this year. Whitman and Linfield both started the season with wins against decent competition.  I think every team will be able to come up with at least 6-7 conference wins excluding Pacific and maybe PLU.

2-George Fox looked really good. They have plenty of talented guards to go with a solid big man in Szalay. They could be a major threat to UPS.

3-Some really big scoring games early on from players. Heu-Weller putting up 32 in 33 min and Olinger going off for 29.

4-Puget Sound beatable.... Only time will tell if they are deserving of such a high ranking

Loggerville

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 18, 2005, 12:38:41 AM
Two things come to mind:
1) He doesn't always play with passion??
2) Just because someone isn't on a preseason team, or in a preseason poll, doesn't mean we hate him. There are 390 men's basketball teams and 25 slots, so with 1,950 starters alone in Division III and over 200 first-team all-conference players, keep in mind the competition is fierce.

Pat - Thanks for the comment.  I don't believe I insinuated that you, or anyone on the selection committee for that matter, "hated" anyone; not earning a spot on a preseason all-America team shouldn't, and in this case I am sure isn't, a reflection of a voters personal feelings about a player.  I am aware of how many quality players there are in the nation at this level, and particularly at the forward position.  Like you I would guess, I haven't seen all of them play, and since this is the NWC board and I am clearly a Logger fan I see no surprise in my pulling for McVey. 

Big Dave

Quote from: Loggerville on November 21, 2005, 09:08:38 AM
Like you I would guess, I haven't seen all of them play, and since this is the NWC board and I am clearly a Logger fan I see no surprise in my pulling for McVey.

I don't think it is fair to give any award based on your favorite team...otherwise Isaiah Stanback would win the Heisman and Manase Hopoi would win the Outland Trophy.  I also like Sonny Shackelford to win the Biletnikoff and Ty Willingham to win the Coach of the Year. 

There are many good players in DIII hoops...but a preseason award is not as valuable as any post-season honor.  Preseason polls mean nothing.  Look at Penn State in the Big 10.  Receiving a preseason award means that someone expects you to be good...but let's save the complaining for the end of the year...after the season.  It is nice to receive recognition; however, expectations tend to lead to disappointment.  I know Zack Mcvey is a dominant post player; but, I think an equal complaint could could be made for overlooking Chase Curtiss.  He is a phenominal competitor and a fantastic leader.  He plays under control yet with an intense fire.  The Loggers succeed because he is an amazing person on the court and in the locker room.  They are both fun to watch...and Zack has put in some serious time in the weight room.  Let those two play...and they will receive the awards based on their performance and not their hype.  All players should.

Loggerville

Big Dave, couldn't agree with you more on letting play decide where the awards end up, esp. at the end of the year.  I'd also agree that Chase Curtiss is an extremely talented player and deserving of consideration for preseason awards as well; the guard spot is just much tougher to get separation among the many talented players, particularly the way the all-america teams broke out with fewer spots for G than F/C.

For the record however, I am not "giving" away awards to a favorite player as you suggest.  Pulling for a returning all-conference selection, arguably the best big man in the NWC, and a key player on the preseason #4 ranked team to get some national recognition for his program and the NWC isn't a thing like wishing Ty Willingham would win coach of the year; my position isn't indefensible and outlandish.  I think we play some pretty good DIII basketball out west and frankly would like to see the players from out here get the recognition they deserve.  Curtiss, McVey, or anyone of the other worthy players from the NWC would be fine with me.

Big Dave

Blackhawk4~

Did you play in the Alumni game???  How many did you have?? I envision something like 44pts, 11boards, & 7dimes.  Maybe you didn't play.  The Alumni did lose.  I will be at the game on Friday PM.  I hope that the atmosphere has improved from my expensive tenure at the University.

Loggerville

Quote from: Big Dave on November 22, 2005, 04:35:41 PM
I hope that the atmosphere has improved from my expensive tenure at the University.

Keep in mind that it is Thanksgiving Break so school is out and the student section will be smaller because of it.  The games have been well attended in recent years (ave. attendance 1011).  Enjoy.

pugetmr

I have met numerous people...and I believe that I am one of those individuals...that can dominate an entire gym with their loud voice.  I love going on the road to the crowded gyms and being louder than their crowd.  Even when you lose...you still get love from the home crowd.  I once got to go with Hayford and the rest of the Whitworth basketball team to pizza after a game.  I did know some of their players.  Unless you are an idiot...You can be loud and crazy and most of the time the opponents fans will be cool.  It is when you chant dumb/inappropriate things that crowds tend to get mad. 

School spirit should be fun...but I find that most the students at UPS are too rich or too liberal to care about anything that much.  This is also why UPS only gets donations from (around) 15% of its alumni.  Most the students don't care about the University outside of their four years there.  Most the time they don't even care while they are there.  Most just want their degree...and they miss the full collegiate experience.  Average attendance does not mean that they care.  If they really cared, students would go to all the games even if UPS wasn't good.  When UPS wasn't as good...the attendance was much worse.  I find it hard to believe that students genuinely care now.  Apathy isn't changed in 5-10 years.

formercat

QuoteThis is also why UPS only gets donations from (around) 15% of its alumni.

My uncle played ball for UPS in the 80's and I know that a lot of the alumni were upset when UPS went from D2 to D3 and changed the colors. Plus many do not like Bridgeland because he has almost erased all memory of basketball prior to him, even went so far as to try and have the championship banner removed from the gym. This may explain some of the lack of alumni support.

pugetmr

There are many good reasons why UPS fails to get alumni support; but, I am almost certain that Bridgeland is not the reason.  This is a dilemma UPS has dealt with since the 90's.

Himjay23

Speaking of UPS, they lost last night at home to Warner Pacific. Not quite the start people thought they would get off to. From their first two games they look very vulnerable this year.

bearcatsfan3

UPS loss to Warner Pac was very surprising (although many have said WPac is a legitimate threat in the Cascade Conference)...especially on the Loggers home floor.  Anyone go to the game?

Willamette posted an impressive early season win, beating #4 (NAIA) Oregon Tech, but then lost to Southern (#2 NAIA) the next night...the Bearcats have been very good Friday nights so far, and then find ways to lose games Saturday...

Question: With so many battles between the Cascade and Northwest Conferences, anyone have any thoughts on which league is better right now? (IMO: The Cascade has a few standout players that the NWC can't match in Fiegi and Shea Washington, but I'll still take the coaching and overall teams in the NWC)...

Himjay23

Great question. Your right, despite the cascade having those few big name players, I would take the NWC overall. The teams are much better coached and seem to play together much better them some of the cascade teams.   I have been to roughly 10 games with either NWC or CCC teams in them this year and overall intensity of the games seems to be much higher in the Northwest. Despite the Loggers loss, I would still take them, Whitworth, and Willamette over any Cascade squad this year.

bearcatsfan3

Willamette wins easily, 89-64, at LC...Bearcats looked ok in the first half, but played very well in the 2nd half...Stuvland had a big game, and the Fife kid from Canby was very good off the bench...

With the way LC presses, the UPS game Friday should be fun to watch...lots of points to be had...

andrewf

George Fox just had the most amazing comeback I have ever seen in my life!  Down by over 20 in the second half, they came back to tie it as time ran out and took it in over time.

Props to the GFU team!!!!