MBB: State University of New York Athletic Conference

Started by bamm, March 12, 2005, 09:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magicman

Quote from: Bengalsrule on October 19, 2020, 03:14:10 PM
SUNYAC SEASON HAS JUST BEEN CANCELLED!!

I expected this might happen. After the NESCAC conference cancelled all their winter sports programs back on October 8th, I knew there would be other conferences that would do the same thing. The number of virus cases continues to increase daily and until we get a vaccine I don't think we'll see DIII sports anytime soon. At least in the SUNYAC.

I feel bad for all the student-athletes but especially the seniors who have lost so much of their college experience because of this pandemic. It has to be a very difficult time for all the coaches as well.   

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The difference in the NESCAC, NCAC and the SUNYAC is the SUNYAC has canceled sports at the schools as well ... NESCAC, NCAC are allowing individual schools to decide if they want to play during the season - there just won't be any conference season or AQ to play for this season.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

jaybird44

Hello friends!

It seems that I have been the only member of the only (unofficial) fall sport at WashU, with my 100-mile ultramarathon attempt earlier this month to promote the fight for a cure during Rett Syndrome Awareness Month.  That attempt fell a bit short in miles and fundraising, so I'm going into overtime to try and reach $5,000 in donations.

Rett Gets Rocked 50K for $5K will commence Friday, October 30 at 8 pm Central, and end at 8 am Halloween morning.  Counting donations received (thanks to retired WashU men's basketball coach Mark Edwards and his wife Mary, and to Mike McGrath and his  University of Chicago men's basketball program for their donations!) and those yet to be sent and processed, I am at $4,440.53.  Very, very close to my goal...which will fund a researcher's work for a month.  Wouldn't it be cool if he or she cracked the code for a cure of Rett syndrome, on our dime?!

I reached 86 miles in my "Rett Gets Rocked Virtual Ultra Weekend" October 3-4.  I'm very proud of that result, but there's more work to be done.  Proceeds from the event will be split between Rettsyndrome.org (the only national organization spearheading research and providing resources for affected patients and their families) and the Rett Spectrum Clinic--a collaboration between the WashU School of Medicine and St. Louis Children's Hospital.

Rett syndrome is a rare, non-inherited neurological disorder that is caused by a gene mutation in the brain.  Rett strikes typically when a child is 6-18 months old, and it has the characteristics of ALS, autism, epilepsy, and Parkinson's...all rolled into one sinister disorder.
It takes away the child's ability to move and communicate.  Most of them end up in wheelchairs with active minds, but mired in the physical rubble that Rett creates.  And, the neurological damage prevents verbal communication and arm and hand movement for sign language.

In essence, Rett does to a child what Lucy in the "Peanuts" comic strip does to Charlie Brown when he tries to kick the football that she is holding.  The only difference is that Charlie Brown can get back up to try again.  Those who are afflicted with Rett syndrome don't get another chance to enjoy a vibrant life.

Researchers are working to re-engineer the gene mutation that turns on Rett, so it can be forever turned off.  Four drug therapies are in the FDA review pipeline, with one (trofanitide) one level away from review.  And, iPad tablets with retinal scan technology are giving those with Rett a voice they haven't had since they were toddlers.

The full court press on Rett is paying off.  You can help keep the pressure on Rett, by going to my Rett Racers donation page:  https://rettracer.everydayhero.com/us/rett-gets-rocked-2020

Thanks for your time and consideration, and let's hope that we get back to playing and broadcasting sports much sooner than later!

Jay Murry
Play-By-Play Announcer, Washington University in St. Louis
Event Director, Rett Gets Rocked 50K for $5K

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

For much of Division III, there hasn't been any basketball so far this season. Unfortunately for a growing number of schools, there won't be any season. Either because of a school decision or a conference one, more and more coaches are having to tell their teams they won't be playing any intercollegiate games until next season.

Those conversations have to be tough. What can also be difficult is keeping student-athletes engaged or even keep busy as a coach.

In this second of three podcasts surrounding the coronavirus climate in DIII, we chat with a couple of coaches who have programs on the back-burner until next academic year. Emory women's coach Misha Jackson discusses how and why the Atlanta-based institution decided to shutdown winter sports and how it has impacted her team. And Plattsburgh State men's coach Mike Blaine brings his perspective of a shutdown program, but from a conference-wide decision in New York State.

You will also hear how both coaches are working with their players, but also trying to be careful about their time and the stress of everything going on in player's lives.

You can listen to the podcast here: https://bit.ly/37r92A5

If you have questions, ideas, or want to interact with the show, feel free to send them to hoopsville@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options available.

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

We also have the podcast now on Tune-In and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3sports.com
Hoopsville Season Archive: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

thebear

SUNYAC Rosters are Up.

First team AC returnees include Jahidi Wallace at Brockport and conference rookie of the year Austin Grunder at Cortland.
Second team AC returning include Eric Edwards at Cortland and Andres Rivera at Oneonta
Third teamers returning include Michael Gannon at Geneseo, Joseph Bull at Oneonta, and Jeremiah Sparks at Oswego.

Oneonta has D-I (Iona) Transfer Michael Ortale, who had 30 points and 11 rebounds in opener vs. Hartwick. 
Dragons won by 29 without A/C forward Joseph Bull.

Interesting non conference games this weekend include Fredonia at St. John Fisher, Cortland at Rochester (UAA), possible Hobart Oswego matchup on Saturday,
"Just the Facts, Ma'am, Just the Facts"
- Sgt. Joe Friday

stlawus

Great to see thebear back.    I watched Brockport last weekend and was left somewhat unimpressed.   Alfred has a veteran team but they handled Brockport.  Brockport did lose a few guys from 2 years ago so we might be seeing the impact of their departures. 

Potsdam gets Segar back healthy but lose Isaiah Brown who originally transferred to DII Queens College but does not appear to be playing this semester.    Segar and Baptiste should still be a lethal combo.

thebear

Potsdam showed resilience today against cross-town rival Clarkson in a North Country Classic game. 

Bears jumped out to a 14-0 lead and were up 29-6 after 10 minutes, then cruised the rest of the way to a 90-63 win at Jerry Welsh Gymnasium. 

Brandon Segar Jr had 20 points and 11 rebounds in 26 minutes to lead the Bears, who shot 52% from the floor and beyond the arc, making 11 treys.

Soph Colton Huestis had his second straight 18 point outing.

Ryan Miles-Ferguson led the Golden Knights with 13 points, as the Knights shot 30% from the floor and 16% on their 44 three point attempts.

Bears off until their SUNYAC Opener at Plattsburgh on Tuesday 11/30.
- Sgt. Joe Friday

stlawus

I noticed that Baptiste was on the bench today, so today's result was a bit surprising given his absence.  It seemed more like a bit of a market correction after Potdam's previous 2 games.  Mesean Johnson is as tough a PG as you'll see this season, and if Segar could clean up some misses under the rim the Bears are going to be scoring a lot of points this year. 

Bengalsrule

Well, it's not the start we had hoped for at Buff State. But I'm encouraged how these young guys have responded .  12 new players means guys are gonna have to get used to working with each other  I've been surprised with some of the results and encouraged. 1st 4 games were vs quality opponents ( John Carrol, Ohio Northern, Nazareth college and , last night , St John Fisher.  We were competitive in each 1. Just couldn't hold on

Looks like our leading scorer , from last year , Sheldon Adams , is ready for bigger and better things. Averaged over 30 pts in the last 3 games, plus garnered the most recent POW award.  Biggest surprise is new comer Phil Weeks   21 rebound against  Ohio Nothern and 28 boards vs John Carrol . In my 14 years at Buff state , I've never seen that kind of performance. From us or our opponents. His efforts earned him a spot on D3 Team of the week.  If we keep getting that kind production from them, good guard play from Aaron Davis and contributions from a slew of new folks, we should be alright

I guess with Oswego coming up next, we will see real soon, what we are made of .!!

scooterman

Brockport did look very average in the Alfred game. They are now on a 3 game win streak and starting to look like a contender in the SUNYAC's. They open up the SUNYAC's with Fredonia on Tuesday night. We shall see!!!Good luck Eagles!

stlawus

Decent upset tonight with New Paltz taking down Oneonta.   Potsdam almost blows a 20 point lead at Plattsburgh but closes it out.   Oswego looking like the cream of the crop thus far. 

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: stlawus on November 30, 2021, 10:25:13 PM
Decent upset tonight with New Paltz taking down Oneonta.   Potsdam almost blows a 20 point lead at Plattsburgh but closes it out.   Oswego looking like the cream of the crop thus far.

That's a head scratcher for Oneonta.  Unless New Paltz is just way better than I thought.  Maybe the transfers haven't gotten used to the conference midweek travel schedule?  That's not even a long drive, though.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

thebear

New Paltz added a couple of new pieces. Sean St. Lucia is a SUNYAC ready point guard out of the tough Suburban Council around Albany, apparently a triplet and his sister is also an athlete at NP.  Solomon Neuhaus, 6-4 from Plattsburgh, by way of Williston Northampton prep and Gettysburg college, is a wing, who lit it up from three last night.  They also have 7 returnees who saw significant time in 19-20.  Dragons were awful from 3 pt last night. NP led by as much as 13 in the first half.  Oneonta starters played 178 minutes and Joseph Bull is still not showing in a box score.  Get to see both of these clubs this weekend here in the snowy North Country.
- Sgt. Joe Friday

scooterman

Brockport beat Fredonia at home by 10. Pretty ugly win, but Bport played shorthanded as some of their players were late coming back from Thanksgiving. They adjusted quite well and some players that haven't gotten much time before got to show their stuff. They travel to Cortland for an always tough contest. Then home for the Oswego Lakers on Saturday afternoon. We will know where the Eagles stand in the SUNYAC's by the end of the weekend!!!! Good luck Eagles!!!!

scooterman

Just finished watching Bport dismantle the Red Dragons by an 87-60 score AT Cortland. They played tenacious D and moved the ball well on the offensive end.That was their best all-round  effort since the Hobart win. The Eagles host the Oswego Lakers tomorrow at 4PM. They need to bring that same effort tomorrow to complete the big weekend. The Eagles are showing signs of being a real  squad to contend with in the SUNYAC's!!! Go Eagles!!!!