2018 Season - National Perspective

Started by Flying Weasel, March 26, 2018, 10:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FelixCloudy

Quote from: offside position on December 10, 2018, 11:15:10 AM
Quote from: FelixCloudy on November 30, 2018, 05:12:32 PM
Quote from: Mr.Right on November 30, 2018, 10:55:03 AM
Conn College GK AJ Marcucci as a Soph gets 1st team AA.....Along with Groothoff is very impressive....Now they both have the next 2 and 3 years respectively to live up to those expectations......

Marucci had a great year - ranked first in save % and 2nd in GAA, and 10th in shutouts.  Talented kid, rocked it with his back line. However, I completely don't get the second or third team keeper picks.  Any idea what the criteria for GK AA picks are?  Other than they are first team regional winners in 3 separate regions (NE, East and South Atlantic?)

Good question Felix.  I think you do have to be 1st team All-Region for AA consideration.  But what are the criteria for GK picks in the regions?  I can tell you for the South Atlantic it is simple - just be named the ODAC 1st team GK.  SEVEN years in a row now by my count.  Stats don't support it. ODAC is certainly not the dominant conference in the region.  I don't really know what the process is, but it's safe to say there is a systemic problem that continues to be unfair to some deserving GK's (fortunately this site has recognized a couple).  I don't want to get into specific seasons, but how does the kid from Mary Washington not make any All-Region team this year when it seems obvious he should have been 1st team?
I agree that AA's are selected from the 1st all region teams - and just a WAG, but as only seniors were chosen for the all region GK's in the South Atlantic, the stellar season by the UMW sophomore GK didn't get recongized.  Do you think a player's class year did affect the SA all region selection?  Comparing GK's even within a region is fraught with difficulty as SV% and GAA stats don't tell the whole story...but it may be that sophomore GK's have to prove they can consistently play at a stellar level over multiple seasons?  Obviously not true in New England as Marucci is a sophomore, but he had started and played very well his freshman year as well.  Perhaps the coaches in the SA want more than one season in net for a GK to be considered for an all region pick (the UMW GK only played one game last season).  But honestly, I am simply guessing.

offside position

Quote from: FelixCloudy on December 12, 2018, 03:25:00 PM
Quote from: offside position on December 10, 2018, 11:15:10 AM
Quote from: FelixCloudy on November 30, 2018, 05:12:32 PM
Quote from: Mr.Right on November 30, 2018, 10:55:03 AM
Conn College GK AJ Marcucci as a Soph gets 1st team AA.....Along with Groothoff is very impressive....Now they both have the next 2 and 3 years respectively to live up to those expectations......

Marucci had a great year - ranked first in save % and 2nd in GAA, and 10th in shutouts.  Talented kid, rocked it with his back line. However, I completely don't get the second or third team keeper picks.  Any idea what the criteria for GK AA picks are?  Other than they are first team regional winners in 3 separate regions (NE, East and South Atlantic?)

Good question Felix.  I think you do have to be 1st team All-Region for AA consideration.  But what are the criteria for GK picks in the regions?  I can tell you for the South Atlantic it is simple - just be named the ODAC 1st team GK.  SEVEN years in a row now by my count.  Stats don't support it. ODAC is certainly not the dominant conference in the region.  I don't really know what the process is, but it's safe to say there is a systemic problem that continues to be unfair to some deserving GK's (fortunately this site has recognized a couple).  I don't want to get into specific seasons, but how does the kid from Mary Washington not make any All-Region team this year when it seems obvious he should have been 1st team?
I agree that AA's are selected from the 1st all region teams - and just a WAG, but as only seniors were chosen for the all region GK's in the South Atlantic, the stellar season by the UMW sophomore GK didn't get recongized.  Do you think a player's class year did affect the SA all region selection?  Comparing GK's even within a region is fraught with difficulty as SV% and GAA stats don't tell the whole story...but it may be that sophomore GK's have to prove they can consistently play at a stellar level over multiple seasons?  Obviously not true in New England as Marucci is a sophomore, but he had started and played very well his freshman year as well.  Perhaps the coaches in the SA want more than one season in net for a GK to be considered for an all region pick (the UMW GK only played one game last season).  But honestly, I am simply guessing.

I would be okay if the award consistently leaned toward upperclassmen in the absence of a clear standout, but that's not happening here.  ODAC sophomore GKs were 1st team South Atlantic in 2015 and 2016, and in both of those years there was at least one proven, deserving senior in the mix from another conference.  I realize there is more than SV% and GAA to consider, but should we believe ODAC GKs have some sort of monopoly on intangible qualities?  No, I'm sticking to my premise that something is broken. 

p.s. I was glad to see the senior from R-C get recognition this year.  He had to do A LOT of work in 4 years.

NESCAC43

Merry Christmas to everyone and their families! Have a blessed New Year and can't wait for the 2019 season.