UAA 2019

Started by nesoccerfan10, June 03, 2019, 01:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buck O.

Quote from: WUPHF on August 30, 2019, 09:22:47 PM
Washington University lost to No. 12 St. Thomas, 1-0.

The Tommies scored in the closing seconds of the first half on a penalty kick. The Bears were called for a handball in the box and had to play down a man for the second.  Lots of new guys played.

Notably, Matt Martin played the full 90 minutes.
Unfortunately, the video stream from UST didn't work, so I was unable to watch the game live.  Reports from the scene were that the Bears looked very good in the first half, when the teams were at even strength, and that's backed up by the fact that they outshot the Tommies 7-2 in the first half.  The video now has been posted to UST's web site (https://portal.stretchinternet.com/tommiesports/portal.htm?eventId=549915&streamType=video), so anyone who (lie me) wanted to watch the game, but couldn't, can watch it now.

Buck O.

In other UAA action on opening day:

• Brandeis defeated Roger Williams, 1-0.  Blooter covered this one in the New England soccer thread.  Deis's next game is tonight against Washington & Lee.
  • Chicago tied Macalester, 0-0, outshooting the Scots 20-8.  UC will next play at St. Thomas on Sunday afternoon, while Macalester will play WashU.
  • Case defeated Heidelberg 1-0, in a game that the Spartans seem to have dominated, given that they outshot their opponent 27-5.  Case's next game is against Mount Union on Monday.
  • CMU topped Salisbury 2-1.  CMU plays St. Mary's of MD today.
  • Ithaca beat NYU 4-0, in a game in which each team only took 6 shots, so Ithaca made its shots count!  Next up, NYU plays at Hobart this afternoon.
  • Rochester lost 3-2 in overtime to Cortland State, the team that d3soccer.com ranks #2 nationally. UR's next game is against John Carroll on Sunday.
Emory didn't play.  They begin their season this afternoon against Pomona-Pitzer.

blooter442

W&L 1-0 up on Brandeis at the half. The Generals have looked a little more mature in possession although the Judges ran with them well in the first. On balance of the first game-and-a-half, this Brandeis side looks slightly more poised than last year's edition but still figuring some things out. The difference was a low shot/cross that found its way past Irwin at his near post in the 32nd minute. If that didn't deflect — and it did not look as if it did on first glance — then that's a mistake on the GK's part. I still feel that Irwin is the best keeper in the squad but he has not convinced all that much in the last year. No shame in losing to a good squad, and I did think W&L would be a bit stronger than 'Deis but it's a shame that an apparent error is the difference thus far. Still 45 left to play.

blooter442

Brandeis with a header just over about 5 into the second half. The Judges have used a long throw a few times and are trying to send the ball into the box. An equalizer wouldn't be surprising, although you still have to fancy W&L at this point.

blooter442

Despite advantages of 18-5 in shots and 5-3 in SOG, 'Deis falls to W&L, 1-0. Even with those advantages, they didn't really test the 'keeper and W&L looked somewhat comfortable. The visitors seemed more streetwise and it was a classic example of a mature team going on the road and grinding out a result, something the Judges have done themselves in recent years. Lessons to be taken, but this team looks like it has a chip on its shoulder. They might surprise one or two after last season.

SpartanSoccerFan

Former player making some predictions for the season here. Sorry if they are a little biased.

1) CWRU - Return most of a strong team that made it to the Elite Eight last year. They will have to replace all-UAA Alex Besl, but F Seldon Magruder will be up to the task. They know if they are gonna win the UAA with this core, this is their year.

2) NYU - An extremely young and talented side that plays very stylistically pleasing soccer. Oliver Kleban should have another big year along with a returning sophomore-lead defense. Also, hearing that they added a former D1 striker transfer from American University. Goalkeeping is a question mark.

3) Rochester - Although they lost a lot, particularly their midfield engine Bryce Ikeda, Coach Chris Apple manages to find an upperclassmen to step up time and time again. Look for them to make the tournament on the back of their seniors this year including Aidan Miller.

4) Chicago - Losing one UAA POY is tough, imagine losing three in the same class. UC will have to rely on the talents of Kyle Ziegler and Vicente Mateus to carry a completely new side through the season. Coach Flinn will have a tough task keeping them in the tournament, but with the level of recruiting done in recent years, the talent is there.

5) CMU - CMU lost a lot this year, but they maintain a potent attack. Look for Elliot Cohen to put up 13+ goals this season as this CMU team seems like they can beat almost anybody, but also lose to almost anybody.

6) Brandeis - Brandeis will be better than last year, but thats not saying too much. A year of maturation should help Brandeis' midfield, but the big question was and will continue to be goalkeeping. Was Brandeis up to their expected level last year? No. Could they have made the tournament with better goalkeeping? Possibly. Finding consistency between the sticks will be key for a successful season.

7) Emory - I'm picking Emory to score more UAA goals than last year and win a game (LOL). Emory returns a solid backline/GK and Jun Tsuru up top, a bright spot in an otherwise dreadful UAA showing. Losing Mustapha Khattab hurts, but Emory could have an ace in their sleeve with a couple talented freshmen.

8) WashU - The epitome of inconsistency last year, WashU had the ability to beat or lose to anyone. This year I actually expect worse. They lose all three of their all-UAA performers including striker R Sproule. They will need their underclassmen to show up big time. This team will grind out a couple good results, but lose a lot of tight games.

Thanks and I expect to be way off considering the unpredictability of the UAA every year.

WUPHF

Quote from: SpartanSoccerFan on September 01, 2019, 08:24:49 AM
8) WashU - The epitome of inconsistency last year, WashU had the ability to beat or lose to anyone. This year I actually expect worse. They lose all three of their all-UAA performers including striker R Sproule. They will need their underclassmen to show up big time. This team will grind out a couple good results, but lose a lot of tight games.

Interestingly, Coach Clarke told the student newspaper that he expects the team to be better this year.

Ommadawn

Rochester lost a heartbreaker at home to John Carroll this afternoon, surrendering a PK in the final minute of regulation after equalizing on a PK of their own a few minutes earlier.  Joining Messiah and Lycoming at 0-2 after facing a tough pair of opponents, I guess we can ask the question of who is the best 0-2 team in the land?

WUPHF

Washington University and UChicago both play to 0-0 ties today in Minnesota.

MaturinNYC

Quote from: Ommadawn on September 01, 2019, 03:53:06 PM
Rochester lost a heartbreaker at home to John Carroll this afternoon, surrendering a PK in the final minute of regulation after equalizing on a PK of their own a few minutes earlier.  Joining Messiah and Lycoming at 0-2 after facing a tough pair of opponents, I guess we can ask the question of who is the best 0-2 team in the land?

I was there for both of UofRs games, and heartbreaker's they were!  But they were strong in both games and i'm sure they can address the errors that exposed them. They got back on track today with a win at Keuka, and bigger tests await next week as they take on a  couple of Liberty League foes in crosstown rival RIT and then Vassar. The rest of the UAA also produced some interesting results - having seen both Ithaca and NYU up close last year, i would not have predicted 4-0 to the Bombers, and surprised to see CWRU drop points last weekend and this.
Father, club & HS coach, sometime ref and ever a fan of the game

MaturinNYC

Quote from: Dr.Walk-on on August 27, 2019, 08:37:16 PM
As a recently graduated player and longtime reader of these boards, I thought I would finally join in and share my thoughts on things in the UAA....
Wow Dr.Walk-on, you win the Detailed Preview Award for 2019 I'd say!  Excellent stuff, keep it coming!
Father, club & HS coach, sometime ref and ever a fan of the game

EastCoastSoccer

Have watched Chicago play Macalaster, St. Thomas, and North Park this season and am very impressed by their defense. Between Lich, Johnson, Gillespie, and Holquist, they are going to be tough to score on. It will be interesting to see how far the defense can carry Chicago throughout this year. With only two seniors on the team, the back line is still fairly experienced with two three year starters and Johnson starting all four years. I'm not sure the doubt that surrounds them is justified. We will see...

blue_jays

Quote from: EastCoastSoccer on September 07, 2019, 10:20:36 PM
Have watched Chicago play Macalaster, St. Thomas, and North Park this season and am very impressed by their defense. Between Lich, Johnson, Gillespie, and Holquist, they are going to be tough to score on. It will be interesting to see how far the defense can carry Chicago throughout this year. With only two seniors on the team, the back line is still fairly experienced with two three year starters and Johnson starting all four years. I'm not sure the doubt that surrounds them is justified. We will see...

The defense is for real. Wada and Gillespie are huge bodies on the back line and Lich is the ultimate pest at right back. The question is offense, which was MIA for the first two games. They found their mojo today vs. North Park (who hurt themselves with a couple huge gaffes, but UC capitalized and that's what matters). They just gotta find out who their goal scorers are. After 4 years of Lopez and Koh terrorizing defenses, a new offensive identity will need to be formed.

WUPHF

NYU falls to 0-4 on the season.

I do not know much about their SOS, but I definitely did not expect this.

I was encouraged by the 2-0 Washington University win on Friday night.  Julian Gancman adroitly capitalized on a Pacific Lutheran Mistake to get his first career goal.  He is definitely one to watch.

Ommadawn

It's been a rough afternoon for Emory against Washington & Lee in Lexington, as they trail 5-1 with 15 minutes to play.  W&L freshman Michael Kutsanzira has a hat trick, and at least 2 of the goals yielded have been due to GK errors.  Things don't get any easier for the Eagles, who travel for a back-to-back in Texas next weekend.