MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joehakes

Quote from: Gregory Sager on June 12, 2019, 11:40:50 AM
Quote from: lmitzel on June 11, 2019, 11:46:28 PM
Honestly, I think it's mine, too. But Veggie Tangen might have been the one I had the most fun with. I went with his real name the first time around, but said screw it this past year and called him Veggie partially because I wanted to see how long it would take before Clark turned to me to ask what the hell I was doing.  :)

Of course, I encouraged you -- and the several other P.A. announcers and PBP broadcasters who asked me about him -- to call him "Veggie". After all, it's what he preferred to be called. He liked the nickname.

The funny thing is that "Vegard" is the ultimate trendy name in Norway. It's an old Viking name that went out of use for hundreds of years, and then, just before the turn of the millennium, it suddenly became popular again in Norway to give baby boys that name. I wouldn't be surprised if he knows a whole bunch of guys his age back home in Oslo who have the same name. I'd be shocked if any of them go by "Veggie", though. For one thing, the 'g' in "Vegard" is a hard 'g', as opposed to the 'g's in "Veggie"; Norwegian, like the other Scandinavian languages, lacks the 'j' sound. For another, the word "veggie" has no meaning in Norwegian; they refer to vegetables as grønnsaker.

I hear that due to the popularity of d3Boards in Sweden the new trendy name for boys is Geggie.  True homage to the Norse Bard of the Boards.

AndOne

Quote from: voxelmhurst on June 12, 2019, 12:21:28 PM
But Veggie Tangen might have been the one I had the most fun with.

This really sounds like a great name for the singer of a 70s/80s California punk band. Though perhaps Jello Biafra was enough.

Veggie Tangen and the Magic Shrooms. 🍄 🤪

Brings back memories of seeing Agent Orange at the Fleetwood in Redondo Beach in the early 80s.  🤯

Gregory Sager

Quote from: voxelmhurst on June 12, 2019, 12:21:28 PM
But Veggie Tangen might have been the one I had the most fun with.

This really sounds like a great name for the singer of a 70s/80s California punk band. Though perhaps Jello Biafra was enough.

My favorite punk name remains a tie between Cheetah Chrome of the Dead Boys and Captain Sensible of the Damned.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

markerickson

I like Die Kreuzen of Milwaukee from the early '80s.  A blistering set on a cable access channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPQtOdwy4Lw
Jello sang for a band called Lard with Ministry's mastermind back in the day.
Once a metalhead, always a metalhead.  Matthew 5:13.

USee

A favorite CCIW name for me, albeit football, is Wheaton DE River Shindledecker.

voxelmhurst

Quote from: Titan Q on June 13, 2019, 11:18:39 AM
Elmhurst recruiting class...

https://elmhurstbluejays.com/news/2019/6/3/mens-basketball-baines-announces-2019-recruiting-class.aspx

With the graduation of starters Ireland and Marakis, I expect some of these players could get significant minutes right away. Seems like a solid recruiting class and nice to see the team recruiting from many areas.

Also, the '19-20 athletic seasons will be the last in which the Bluejays compete as "Elmhurst College."  After that, they become Elmhurst University.

https://www.elmhurst.edu/news/elmhurst-college-will-become-elmhurst-university-2020/

"E-U" doesn't roll off the tongue as easily as "E-C", but we'll see if any other shorthand monikers develop.

Gregory Sager

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

Seriously, though, since according to the press release Elmhurst has 20 different graduate degrees, and U.S. News and World Report is already classifying the school as a university, this seems like a fairly legit name change.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Gregory Sager on June 18, 2019, 08:07:19 PM

Ew!

;)

A bizarre response for a graduate of North Park COLLEGE! ;D

(Or was that just a tongue-in-cheek pun to EU?)

AndOne

Quote from: voxelmhurst on June 18, 2019, 06:59:14 PM
Quote from: Titan Q on June 13, 2019, 11:18:39 AM
Elmhurst recruiting class...

https://elmhurstbluejays.com/news/2019/6/3/mens-basketball-baines-announces-2019-recruiting-class.aspx

With the graduation of starters Ireland and Marakis, I expect some of these players could get significant minutes right away. Seems like a solid recruiting class and nice to see the team recruiting from many areas.

Also, the '19-20 athletic seasons will be the last in which the Bluejays compete as "Elmhurst College."  After that, they become Elmhurst University.

https://www.elmhurst.edu/news/elmhurst-college-will-become-elmhurst-university-2020/

"E-U" doesn't roll off the tongue as easily as "E-C", but we'll see if any other shorthand monikers develop.

Soon, Elmhurst students can be subject to the (good-natured, of course) taunt, "He couldn't go to college, so he went to Elmhurst."  :D

Of course there are institutions that don't offer graduate programs that still refer to themselves as a University. 🤥
At least Elmhurst's claim is legit. 😉

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I'm pretty sure university designation has little to do with grad degrees.  I was told it had more to do with the way the academic side is organized: separate schools vs departments.  Not saying I know what I'm talking about, but I've been tangentially involved with a couple schools making the change and that's the answer I've gotten from them every time.  I guess the model makes more sense if you have graduate programs, but I don't think that's a requirement.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on June 18, 2019, 09:28:09 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on June 18, 2019, 08:07:19 PM

Ew!

;)

A bizarre response for a graduate of North Park COLLEGE! ;D

Every school's different, and that includes the rationale behind name changes. The rapid expansion of graduate programs did play the same role in catalyzing the name change for North Park in the '90s as is the case right now at Elmhurst, but an equally important reason was that the school needed to validate the diplomas of North Park's many international students, especially in Scandinavia and South Korea where the word "college" means something utterly different than it does here in the United States. Some of my fellow NPC graduates were miffed about the name change. I never was, because I worked for North Park at the time and I knew how legitimate the reasons were.

I'm sure that the other current noteworthy example of a school transforming from a "college" into a "university", Calvin, has a unique reason or reasons for doing so as well.

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on June 18, 2019, 09:28:09 PM(Or was that just a tongue-in-cheek pun to EU?)

voxelmhurst

Quote from: Gregory Sager on June 19, 2019, 11:18:37 AM
Every school's different, and that includes the rationale behind name changes. The rapid expansion of graduate programs did play the same role in catalyzing the name change for North Park in the '90s as is the case right now at Elmhurst, but an equally important reason was that the school needed to validate the diplomas of North Park's many international students, especially in Scandinavia and South Korea where the word "college" means something utterly different than it does here in the United States. Some of my fellow NPC graduates were miffed about the name change. I never was, because I worked for North Park at the time and I knew how legitimate the reasons were.

I'm sure that the other current noteworthy example of a school transforming from a "college" into a "university", Calvin, has a unique reason or reasons for doing so as well.

This also means that every arena in the CCIW will need an updated set of school banners. Great day if you're the one people are talking about when they say "I gotta guy...."

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on June 19, 2019, 10:19:22 AM
I'm pretty sure university designation has little to do with grad degrees.  I was told it had more to do with the way the academic side is organized: separate schools vs departments.  Not saying I know what I'm talking about, but I've been tangentially involved with a couple schools making the change and that's the answer I've gotten from them every time.  I guess the model makes more sense if you have graduate programs, but I don't think that's a requirement.

I actually think that the graduate-school explanation is the more common one. But in terms of the traditional European model, it is generally recognized that a university contains colleges (or "schools") that have administrative quasi-autonomy and it has graduate-level education. I've even heard some academics insist that a school isn't really a university unless it offers at least one doctoral program as the terminal degree. Here in the U.S., graduate programs are basically the sine qua non of universities; aside from Illinois Wesleyan, I can't think of another institution of higher learning that calls itself a university that doesn't offer graduate education. (Wouldn't surprise me a bit if there were others, though.)

But ... yeah, you're right that the more discrete compartmentalization of the institutional organization chart is an important marker of university status as well.

Of course, the bottom line in the United States is that you can call your school whatever the heck you want to call it.