2015 NCAA Tournament Dark Horse Predictions

Started by WarhawkFan, November 12, 2015, 12:43:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KICKIN95

Quote from: d3fan1 on November 12, 2015, 09:35:54 PM
Carthage is very inconsistent, but I think they will beat Loras who is over rated and should have never gotten a bye!
How isLoras over rated?  They were #1 in their region and had a very high SOS, that's how you get a bye.  Sour grapes anyone?
Master of all things "DuHawk"

Jim Matson

The trend over the past 6-8 years has the host team playing in the early match, whether at 11:00 vs 1:30 or 5:00 vs 7:30. In the 90s, it seemed that teams set up for the "primetime" match for the home crowd's sake.

Playing early in the evening is strongly preferred especially if one has an afternoon match the next day (assuming a win), but I don't think playing a morning match gives any advantage over a 1:00 or 1:30 match. It might be a disadvantage as not many teams play that timeslot during the regular season.
Managing Editor, D3soccer.com

Krazy Legz

Quote from: d3fan1 on November 12, 2015, 09:35:54 PM
Carthage is very inconsistent, but I think they will beat Loras who is over rated and should have never gotten a bye!

I disagree, Loras is rested and has a lot of tournament experience. They have 14 seniors on the roster and Carthage will have travelled 10 plus hours in the past four days come Sunday. Duhawks 3-1!

Mr.Right

Quote from: stlawus on November 12, 2015, 10:49:29 PM
They've always played at 11 in the opening round, not sure why but it's been like that every year.

The home team or highest ranked team in the pod gets to choose the starting time they prefer. It is all preference. Some coaches like the earleir game because it gives players almost 3 extra hours of rest over your next opponent. This is critical especially for bigger guys because do not bounce back quite as fresh as smaller guys. They get leg heavy in the 2nd game. Some coaches does not think it makes a difference and let the players choose. Players usually want the later time so they can sleep in.

d3fan1

I made that prediction for my old friend Kicken to see if he was still around. It would be a major upset for Carthage to beat Loras, but they have some explosive offensive players so it it not out of the question. Glad to see you a,re .still alive and "Kickin"😉

SandyMac

Quote from: Mr.Right on November 13, 2015, 08:30:43 AM
They've always played at 11 in the opening round, not sure why but it's been like that every year.

The home team or highest ranked team in the pod gets to choose the starting time they prefer. It is all preference. Some coaches like the earleir game because it gives players almost 3 extra hours of rest over your next opponent. This is critical especially for bigger guys because do not bounce back quite as fresh as smaller guys. They get leg heavy in the 2nd game. Some coaches does not think it makes a difference and let the players choose. Players usually want the later time so they can sleep in.

I'm almost certain that this is one of the reasons we always played the first game. I definitely think 3 hours of recovery is significant!

In addition, once the team takes care of business then the coaching staff can turn the entirety of their attention to scouting the second match without having to worry about their own match afterwards.

casualfan

Quote from: SandyMac on November 13, 2015, 10:59:46 AM
Quote from: Mr.Right on November 13, 2015, 08:30:43 AM

I'm almost certain that this is one of the reasons we always played the first game. I definitely think 3 hours of recovery is significant!

In addition, once the team takes care of business then the coaching staff can turn the entirety of their attention to scouting the second match without having to worry about their own match afterwards.

I think your last point is what makes a ton of sense for playing the early game. On top of the extra rest, players and the staff are able to watch the next match while the opposing team would not have the opportunity to see them live.

Mr.Right

Ahh...The opposing teams are both watching the 1st game live or at least they should be. Players can run warm up somewhere else while the coach looks at both possible opponents.

wingtips2

Who said something about Cabrini? 

TMC is being cast as lucky to be in the tourney, but the team undoubtedly has some talent - you don't beat OWU away 5-1 without it.

PaulNewman

Quote from: wingtips2 on November 13, 2015, 12:04:42 PM
Who said something about Cabrini? 

TMC is being cast as lucky to be in the tourney, but the team undoubtedly has some talent - you don't beat OWU away 5-1 without it.

I am a big TMC fan, except for this weekend, but this OWU win keeps getting mentioned and to be fair it was an abberration little different from OWU losing to Otterbein 4-1 the year before on their home field.  OWU had multiple injuries during that stretch and they did not look good.  TMC beat a depleted OWU squad that bears little resemblance to the OWU of the past 3-4 weeks.  If they played today, I'd favor OWU in a tight, chippy affair that would be decided in the last 10 minutes or in OT.  That said, TMC is capable of beating Chicago, Kenyon, Montclair/Tufts, etc.  A team will have to play well and very hard for a full 90 or more minutes to beat them.

lastguyoffthebench

I'm the nut job that said something about Cabrini...

....Also have TMC in my sweet 16 losing to MSU

KICKIN95

Quote from: d3fan1 on November 13, 2015, 09:04:24 AM
I made that prediction for my old friend Kicken to see if he was still around. It would be a major upset for Carthage to beat Loras, but they have some explosive offensive players so it it not out of the question. Glad to see you a,re .still alive and "Kickin"😉
Oh I am around baby, the DuHawks will emerge victorious!
Master of all things "DuHawk"

NEsoccerfan

Quote from: Shooter McGavin on November 12, 2015, 12:13:57 PM
Lycoming can knock off Amherst. They need to get through the weekend though.

Looks like shooter (lycoming) and myself (Depauw) are the only ones to have their dark horse picks survive the first weekend. Stay tuned!

Mid-Atlantic Fan

Quote from: NEsoccerfan on November 16, 2015, 11:08:32 AM

Looks like shooter (lycoming) and myself (Depauw) are the only ones to have their dark horse picks survive the first weekend. Stay tuned!

I have seen Lycoming play a couple times this season. They are good and definitely an underrated team in this tournament. The tricky thing with this match-up is that it is on grass which Lycoming is not accustom to. This will favor Amherst but I am sure Lycoming will be able to adjust but it might make some of their players uncomfortable as I do not believe they have played on too many grass fields this season or in seasons past. 

As for the match itself I would give Amherst a slight edge seeing that it is at home, grass field, no long bus/plane trip, and it's Amherst. They are good and there is no denying that. 55-45 in favor of Amherst. Not saying Lycoming can't do it...but I give my pregame edge to Amherst.

As for the statement by Shooter about potentially knocking off Amherst...yes they most certainly can. Should be a good game to follow this coming weekend.

Shooter McGavin

Quote from: NEsoccerfan on November 16, 2015, 11:08:32 AM

Yes! There have been a lot of good games so far! Glad to see some of my picks survive  ;D