MBB: Northwest Conference

Started by The Show, March 06, 2005, 08:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I said CMS would come out of this weekend alive.  They've done half the work.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

CMSfan

Quote from: (509)Rat on March 02, 2018, 10:13:15 PM
It took a horrible game from roach

I think you mean great defense from President.

blackhawks4

Final Thoughts on Last night's WW-CMS game:

• President was pretty lock-down.  I remember him from last year.  Definitely the first time all year I've seen Roach struggle. 
  • College is better than I thought.  Good player.
  • If anybody needs a last second shot, lets ask Logie.  Geez.
  • I know you don't want to take the ball out of best players hands, but Kelly had the big fella guarding him and he could not move his feet.  Kelly could have played 1-on-1 all game and gotten layups.
  • Rat is right--Hernandez had his way penetrating.

Looking forward to tonights WMN-CMS game. What we saw out of CMS (strengths)

• Scarlett is a first team All-American.  Without a doubt. He is scary good.  If the D3hoops guys got any sleep, I'd be really curious to hear their comparison of Scarlett to Babson's kid last year. 
  • CMS is sooo patient on offense.  They run through 3 options and make you defend for 20 seconds, and then...what do you know, Scarlett from 15...coming off a screen, or Scarlett iso.  Tough
  • Their big man and their other little guard (Linds?) can play too
  • Other guys knock down open 3's.

CMS weaknesses
  • CMS was AWFUL on the boards.  If they are that bad tonight, Whitman will eat them up on oboards. Might have 10 more possessions
  • CMS looked rattled by Whitworths pressure.  Can't imagine what might happen tonight.  Whitman might have another 10 possessions of turnovers
  • CMS played no helpside defense.  If the lane is that wide open, WMN could be all over the rim.

I'm very curios to see how Claremont plays Whitman.  Will they take the leash off and run and take opportunites, or will they pull it out? Defensively, who guards Howell?  How does WMN handle that big guy--could be huge asset or huge liability.  WW pulled him out on D and exposed him, but WMN doesnt really have that player (like Jared Kelly)--unless Colton. 

Hoping Scarlett doesn't go crazy tonight--I think that's the only way they pull out a win.  Prediction:  I think its a 10 pt Whitman win, but by no means is it a given. 

(509)Rat

Whitman up by 12 at the half. Howell leading all scorers...getting around the rim and making what most would consider circus shots, but anyone who watches him play regularly knows those are what he throws up and makes every game. CMS 4-10 from 3 (compared to 8-12 in the first half last night). Stags have their work cut out for them to get back in this one.

(509)Rat

CMS shot their way back in. 76-76 with 9 sec left and Whitman ball. This is where Howell gets the ball and drives to the hoop for a game winner. Otherwise we get free basketball.

(509)Rat

Howell gets bailed out by the refs but then chokes at the FT line. Overtime. If I'm Whitman I'm attacking President (4 fouls) early in OT.

Whitman shooting like they did earlier in the season, 24% from 3. Hewitt dragging that number down going 1-6.

D O.C.

Well, hell, assistant coaches from Sweet 16 teams that stayed up late to watch the West Coast game just made a capital letter note: FOUL HOWEL IN THE LAST 2 MINUTES.

Blues Brothers announcers at 9.0 seconds, "There's still a lot of time and still a lot of work for the referees to do."

blackhawks4

Quote from: (509)Rat on March 03, 2018, 11:53:55 PM
Howell gets bailed out by the refs but then chokes at the FT line. Overtime. If I'm Whitman I'm attacking President (4 fouls) early in OT.

Whitman shooting like they did earlier in the season, 24% from 3. Hewitt dragging that number down going 1-6.

and like a fighter, when down...gets back up to dominate overtime, and make every free throw.  finishes the night with 35 and a whitman win.

Enjoy your offseason, guys.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: blackhawks4 on March 04, 2018, 12:20:31 AM
Quote from: (509)Rat on March 03, 2018, 11:53:55 PM

and like a fighter, when down...gets back up to dominate overtime, and make every free throw.  finishes the night with 35 and a whitman win.

Enjoy your offseason, guys.

The hero of that game was Austin Butler - he locked down Scarlett in the OT - by the time Scarlett could actually get the ball, they were in too tough a spot for him to bail them out.  Butler is truly one of the most talented players in the country.  We don't give out a national DPOY, but if we did, I think he'd be a shoe-in.  Truly, truly impressive - and he's not even a senior.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I've said this before... worth repeating... I think Whitman is going to be much better next year thanks to two seniors, hopefully, returning to the line up... and without Howell. He has his moments to be sure, but there are times I watch the games and think he is actually doing more to hurt the team than help them. Just considering that. No need to get into a back-and-forth. I just think addition by subtraction next season.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

blackhawks4

Let's not overlook 35 points in the biggest game of the year. Him getting into the lane creates so much opportunity. Hard to replace.

Te fact that we can even have this conversation speaks to how ridiculously talented that Whitman program is

Stevens Point has the same players but look like they are a different team than the one Whitman beat earlier in the year. Seem to have clicked.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: blackhawks4 on March 07, 2018, 09:51:32 AM
Let's not overlook 35 points in the biggest game of the year. Him getting into the lane creates so much opportunity. Hard to replace.

Te fact that we can even have this conversation speaks to how ridiculously talented that Whitman program is

Stevens Point has the same players but look like they are a different team than the one Whitman beat earlier in the year. Seem to have clicked.

Stevens Point is well coached. No getting around that. They have seemed to figure things out especially on defense. Their offense still worries me. I've been told by those close that they are being efficient, and I can appreciate that. However, I think you have to have the ability to put up points again Whitman... and I don't see UWSP haven't that ability. The trick will be slowing Whitman down. They had some success with that and they have seen Whitman's full-court presence now in person. I do think UWSP will be prepared. I look forward to seeing how it plays out.

As for Howell, I know he can drive and put up shots and I realize he had 35 in the title game, but for all of that he takes some awfully bad shots on the assumption that what he throws up will go in... and he has nearly cost the team with that mentality and not hitting timely shots. Sometimes it feels like he forgets he has teammates and wants to be the show. That nearly cost them in their second game against Whitworth this year. A foul was rightly called on the last play, but he was headed into no-man's land with no decent look, even by his standards, at the basket or a shot. If he isn't fouled there, Whitworth wins. There were guys open who could hit their shots as well. I don't see him turn to them all that often especially as games progress on. It seems those guys get their points when they don't pass the ball to Howell.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

blackhawks4

I'll agree that many of his floaters are unorthodox and appear to be very difficult shots. But bad shots—I disagree. Statistically speaking, he shoots 52% from the floor, which is excellent. I'll align my stance with the stats and argue that he makes more of these difficult shots than he misses.

blackhawks4

I'll add that Tim Howell penetrating down the lane to shoot a floater (no matter how difficult) draws the helpside defense and opens up the entire weak side for offensive rebounds and east put backs. And that is very good offense for whitman

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: blackhawks4 on March 07, 2018, 04:20:56 PM
I'll add that Tim Howell penetrating down the lane to shoot a floater (no matter how difficult) draws the helpside defense and opens up the entire weak side for offensive rebounds and east put backs. And that is very good offense for whitman

I am not taking anything away from the offense... I think this team has succeeded because of the rest of the team who have been terrific.

Yes, Howell makes a more than he misses, but he is on a tightrope and this year I don't think he elevated himself. He felt flat much of the season compared to past seasons. This team is going to be terrific next season IF they get those two starters who missed this year back...