Shenandoah, TX 2018-19 NCAA d3fb championships

Started by Ron Boerger, October 13, 2017, 09:46:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jknezek

What a cluster. At least we know why the NCAA chose a place remote to almost anywhere that plays DIII football. The people screwed up the application and the NCAA apparently didn't bother to question them on it. Bet it doesn't look like such a good idea anymore for either side. If Shenandoah goes through with it, it's only because they are too embarrassed to back out and know it won't help them with any event they want to bid on in the future.. They will scrimp on anything they can knowing 2019 is off the table.

Ralph Turner

wally_wabash

"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Ron Boerger

Quote from: Ralph Turner on October 24, 2017, 03:44:04 PM
Do I interpret these data to be the "walk-up" ticket sales?

Quote2014 (Wisconsin-Whitewater/Mount Union): 5,081 spectator tickets;
2015 (Mount Union/St. Thomas MN): 5,153 spectator tickets;
2016 (Mary Hardin-Baylor/Wisconsin-Oshkosh): 3,388 spectator tickets;
2017: est. 4,900 tickets.
Actual attendance has been reported as:
2014: 5,465
2015: 5,343
2016: 3,476

2014:  5465  - 5081   =   384
2015:  5343  - 5153   =   190
2016:  3476  -  3388  =   88

My guess would be that these are comps.

merlecanlas

if the NCAA gives two yits about D3, they will keep the Stagg Bowl in Salem for 2018-19.  The only thing missing from the council meeting audio is the Benny Hill music

merlecanlas

I don't know if anybody else is interested, but they are doing a live stream of  the city council meeting tonight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LlTBlhdhgw

the Stagg Bowl talk starts at 45:15 goes to about 56:00

merlecanlas

took some notes during the council meeting:

- the Shenandoah lawyer met with the NCAA this morning
- the NCAA "would like" for Shenandoah to host 2018 and 2019
- TX no longer has to provide buses for the Stagg Bowl teams (two 47 person buses per team) a savings of approx $100k
- Lone Star College (local community college?) will be the host of events
- the NCAA is willing to work with TX per the contract of $170k instead of $219k earlier
- The NCAA is anxious for action from TX
- there was a tentative approval for the $170k budget for 2018 Stagg Bowl.  2019 will be brought up next meeting
- Salem spent $100k last year with some back pay from the NCAA
- council members "not a slam dunk for the city" and "I'm disappointed that I 'have to approve' a contract with the NCAA" and "feel like I'm boxed into a corner
- why the ticket sales drop in 2016?  council members "prop planes have to fly into Roanoke"  "it has to do with the teams, how many UMHB fans flew to Salem?"  "we have big time HS football fans that are used to a Friday Night Lights game"

I've never been more confident that Canton will blow their Stagg Bowl bid  out of the water.  These penny pinching Texans are a joke.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: merlecanlas on October 25, 2017, 09:04:38 PM

- TX no longer has to provide buses for the Stagg Bowl teams (two 47 person buses per team) a savings of approx $100k
- the NCAA is willing to work with TX per the contract of $170k instead of $219k earlier
- there was a tentative approval for the $170k budget for 2018 Stagg Bowl.  2019 will be brought up next meeting
- council members "not a slam dunk for the city" and "I'm disappointed that I 'have to approve' a contract with the NCAA" and "feel like I'm boxed into a corner
- why the ticket sales drop in 2016?  council members "prop planes have to fly into Roanoke"  "it has to do with the teams, how many UMHB fans flew to Salem?"  "we have big time HS football fans that are used to a Friday Night Lights game"

I've never been more confident that Canton will blow their Stagg Bowl bid  out of the water.  These penny pinching Texans are a joke.

They are clearly misinformed as well despite having a group of people travel to Salem at least once if not more often.

I will also add that I've learned that the City Manager who was behind Shenadoah's efforts moved on... thus no one there is really pushing this anymore.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on October 26, 2017, 11:38:33 AM
Quote from: merlecanlas on October 25, 2017, 09:04:38 PM

They are clearly misinformed as well despite having a group of people travel to Salem at least once if not more often.

I will also add that I've learned that the City Manager who was behind Shenadoah's efforts moved on... thus no one there is really pushing this anymore.

They really should drop it if nobody there GAF.   Still time for the AA to find someone caring and clueful (or at least the latter) who would do a much better job.

Ron Boerger

That said (and I stand by it) according to https://communityimpact.com/guides/houston/the-woodlands/news/city-county/2017/10/26/ncaa-division-iii-football-championship-hampton-inn-suites-5-takeaways-shenandoah-city-councils-oct-25-meeting/ the council did unanimously approve the 2018 event.   I am amused at the comment (which came from the council) that "[t]his will be the first time in 25 years the Amos Alonzo Stagg Bowl will be played outside of 'DIII Territory'; I guess the fact that there are a dozen or so DIII schools playing football in TX, and a dozen more in DIII as a whole, doesn't make TX 'DIII Territory'. 

jknezek

Everything about this is just screaming "half-assed" at this point.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Ron Boerger on October 26, 2017, 12:26:37 PM
That said (and I stand by it) according to https://communityimpact.com/guides/houston/the-woodlands/news/city-county/2017/10/26/ncaa-division-iii-football-championship-hampton-inn-suites-5-takeaways-shenandoah-city-councils-oct-25-meeting/ the council did unanimously approve the 2018 event.   I am amused at the comment (which came from the council) that "[t]his will be the first time in 25 years the Amos Alonzo Stagg Bowl will be played outside of 'DIII Territory'; I guess the fact that there are a dozen or so DIII schools playing football in TX, and a dozen more in DIII as a whole, doesn't make TX 'DIII Territory'.

That last part is ridiculous. Someone should consider contacting them about that fact. SMH
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

merlecanlas

Quote from: jknezek on October 26, 2017, 12:30:48 PM
Everything about this is just screaming "half-assed" at this point.

you think?  I feel sorry for the teams going to Texas at this point. 

QuoteThe bowl game is expected to bring approximately 900 people to Shenandoah with an expected economic impact of $221,750. Approximately 700 room reservations are expected to bring the city an additional $7,301 from hotel occupancy tax revenue.

900 whole people!!!  might need a bigger stadium......smh

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on October 26, 2017, 01:04:17 PM

That last part is ridiculous. Someone should consider contacting them about that fact. SMH

Per an email I sent to the writer:

"The 'outside of DIII territory\' comment was taken straight from information provided by the City of Shenandoah, which was included in last night's agenda packet on the item's background. I have amended the article so that it no longer includes that comment."

We have some work to do in the Houston area. :)

AO

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on October 26, 2017, 02:37:38 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on October 26, 2017, 01:04:17 PM

Per an email I sent to the writer:

"The 'outside of DIII territory\' comment was taken straight from information provided by the City of Shenandoah, which was included in last night's agenda packet on the item's background. I have amended the article so that it no longer includes that comment."

We have some work to do in the Houston area. :)
That's as good of a reason as any to move the game around, spread the good word about D3.