Shenandoah, TX 2018-19 NCAA d3fb championships

Started by Ron Boerger, October 13, 2017, 09:46:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Boerger

Quote from: AO on October 26, 2017, 02:40:43 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on October 26, 2017, 02:37:38 PM
Per an email I sent to the writer:

"The 'outside of DIII territory\' comment was taken straight from information provided by the City of Shenandoah, which was included in last night's agenda packet on the item's background. I have amended the article so that it no longer includes that comment."

We have some work to do in the Houston area. :)
That's as good of a reason as any to move the game around, spread the good word about D3.

Yes, but you have to have an organizer that wants to spread the good word.   These guys sound like all they want to do is let the parents and family come to them and "reap the rewards" of the hotel nights and taxes. 

Ron Boerger

Ah, I *knew* this was familar ... these guys also had the D3 swimming championships earlier this year:

http://www.shenandoahtx.us/ncaachampionships.cfm

Now, for swimming, nobody travels besides the athletes, coaches, and parents.   They probably based their football bid on that experience and the AA bought off on it. 

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Ron Boerger on October 26, 2017, 12:26:37 PM
That said (and I stand by it) according to https://communityimpact.com/guides/houston/the-woodlands/news/city-county/2017/10/26/ncaa-division-iii-football-championship-hampton-inn-suites-5-takeaways-shenandoah-city-councils-oct-25-meeting/ the council did unanimously approve the 2018 event.   I am amused at the comment (which came from the council) that "[t]his will be the first time in 25 years the Amos Alonzo Stagg Bowl will be played outside of 'DIII Territory'; I guess the fact that there are a dozen or so DIII schools playing football in TX, and a dozen more in DIII as a whole, doesn't make TX 'DIII Territory'.
Considering that there is not a single D-III school within a 150 mile radius, then yes it is outside the usual D-III Territory.

smedindy

Quote from: Ralph Turner on October 26, 2017, 05:44:12 PM
That said (and I stand by it) according to https://communityimpact.com/guides/houston/the-woodlands/news/city-county/2017/10/26/ncaa-division-iii-football-championship-hampton-inn-suites-5-takeaways-shenandoah-city-councils-oct-25-meeting/ the council did unanimously approve the 2018 event.   I am amused at the comment (which came from the council) that "[t]his will be the first time in 25 years the Amos Alonzo Stagg Bowl will be played outside of 'DIII Territory'; I guess the fact that there are a dozen or so DIII schools playing football in TX, and a dozen more in DIII as a whole, doesn't make TX 'DIII Territory'.
Considering that there is not a single D-III school within a 150 mile radius, then yes it is outside the usual D-III Territory.

How far is Sul Ross State from anyone in D-3?

jknezek

Quote from: smedindy on October 26, 2017, 06:18:54 PM

"First star to the right and straight on until morning..." And yes, I am currently reading Peter Pan to my twin 5 year olds every night.

Ralph Turner

That is why the Convention and Visitors Bureau of Alpine TX did not put in a bid.

There are wonderful sights to be seen nearby, the McDonald Observatory, Fort Davis, Big Bend National Park, Marfa lights, Kokernot Field, etc., but alas...

FCGrizzliesGrad

McMurry, Hardin-Simmons, Howard Payne are all 320ish miles. Schreiner (with no football team) is about the same.
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

Mr. Ypsi

But there are many D3 schools that are 'outside of D3 territory' (maybe not QUITE as far as Sul Ross.  Think UMPI, Finlandia, and Colorado College, to name just three.

Shenandoah seems to be totally outside of D3 awareness, and since the city manager who pushed for it has moved on, seems to not have a clue what they have signed on for.  I smell a debacle in the offing.  Bets on 2019 going back to Salem or going early to Canton?

IF they have ever even heard of them, they better hope like hell that UMHB (or HSU) will be in the Stagg!

Ralph Turner

Ralph Turner

I can confirm the reports of small amounts of snow in the Houston area this morning.

However, it happens in Houston about as often as the Astros winning the World Series.

Desertraider

I really hope someone at the NCAA pulls their head out of their arse and realizes this is perhaps the dumbest move they could make. TX doesn't seem to want, isn't prepared for it, and doesn't seem interested in going all out to make it a great experience. I say keep it in Salem for the next 2 years. Canton is excited and ready - give them a shot, but - if it doesn't work out go back to Salem. They have done a great job for 25 years.
RIP MUC57 - Go Everybody!
National Champions: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017
The Autumn Wind is a Raider!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzEYK_XjyLg
Immaculate Prevention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZLq_acsVN0

Pat Coleman

After how the NCAA treated Salem this spring, stripping both men's basketball and football from them in one fell swoop, I am not sure Salem would bail out the NCAA even if asked.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Warren Thompson

Quote from: Pat Coleman on December 10, 2017, 04:03:26 PM
After how the NCAA treated Salem this spring, stripping both men's basketball and football from them in one fell swoop, I am not sure Salem would bail out the NCAA even if asked.

The Indianapolis suits seem to have the loyalty of a scorpion when stinging his mother to death.

Teamski

Canton is a terrible site.  Yeah, I know how big a deal playing at the NFL HOF is.  I get that.  Wesley played there for a game and it is pretty cool.  However, when is a cold weather site within a stone's throw of Mount Union ever a good idea?  An NCAA final should ALWAYS be in a weather neutral site, not one that favors cold weather teams.  This is like having the Superbowl at Soldier Field. 

-Ski
Wesley College Football.... A Winning Tradition! A Coach Mike Drass Legacy.

MUC57

Teamski

Just curious, what's a weather neutral site? Not too hot, not too cold? Where?
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠