Shenandoah, TX 2018-19 NCAA d3fb championships

Started by Ron Boerger, October 13, 2017, 09:46:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merlecanlas

Quote from: crufootball on December 18, 2017, 05:58:26 PM
Quote from: merlecanlas on December 18, 2017, 05:37:07 PM
Quote from: crufootball on December 18, 2017, 05:11:03 PM
Quote from: merlecanlas on December 18, 2017, 04:45:15 PM
I shouldn't have said finding flights, but rather finding affordable flights in 4-5 days.  Flights will be easy to book, but will it be worth it?

Well again many many fans have had to find similar flights over the years so affordability is usually not much of a concern for the crazy football fan.

As for the fans and if it will be worth the trip, I would be shocked if UMHB allowed there name to be seen in a negative light since it is connected to this event. I know that they were making sure they noticed everything possible this year to prepare for the next two years of hosting the event.

D3 football fans are not the same as FBS or even FCS sort of schools.  I hope Texas makes out in its two years, but the majority of D3 fans are more likely to drive rather than fly.  I'm trying to figure a way out to fly to Texas next year, but how do tailgaters travel?  Fly and go to the game and fly out? how boring

Wisconsin to Salem is approximately 13 hours
Minneapolis to Salem is approximately 17 hours
Belton to Salem is approximately 18 hours

Did you care how any of these people tailgated?   

no not really, but that's what happens when you are far away.  I didn't pick Salem, but its sort of a central location.  Canton is an extremely central location for the D3 football world.  Texas is an island to all but about a dozen or so D3 schools.  Should be a tremendous atmosphere in '18 and '19.....

crufootball

Quote from: merlecanlas on December 19, 2017, 03:30:19 PM
Quote from: crufootball on December 18, 2017, 05:58:26 PM
Quote from: merlecanlas on December 18, 2017, 05:37:07 PM
Quote from: crufootball on December 18, 2017, 05:11:03 PM
I shouldn't have said finding flights, but rather finding affordable flights in 4-5 days.  Flights will be easy to book, but will it be worth it?

Well again many many fans have had to find similar flights over the years so affordability is usually not much of a concern for the crazy football fan.

As for the fans and if it will be worth the trip, I would be shocked if UMHB allowed there name to be seen in a negative light since it is connected to this event. I know that they were making sure they noticed everything possible this year to prepare for the next two years of hosting the event.

D3 football fans are not the same as FBS or even FCS sort of schools.  I hope Texas makes out in its two years, but the majority of D3 fans are more likely to drive rather than fly.  I'm trying to figure a way out to fly to Texas next year, but how do tailgaters travel?  Fly and go to the game and fly out? how boring

Wisconsin to Salem is approximately 13 hours
Minneapolis to Salem is approximately 17 hours
Belton to Salem is approximately 18 hours

Did you care how any of these people tailgated?   

no not really, but that's what happens when you are far away.  I didn't pick Salem, but its sort of a central location.  Canton is an extremely central location for the D3 football world.  Texas is an island to all but about a dozen or so D3 schools.  Should be a tremendous atmosphere in '18 and '19.....

It may be central to you and even a good number of D3 teams but that doesn't mean its going to help the teams that are most likely to be there.

Looking at the top 4 teams, only Mount Union would be within driving distance using the 500 mile rule. If you expand to the top 10, 5 of them would be flying into Canton meaning at least a 10 hour drive for fans. 

So how great is that atmosphere going to be if the game doesn't include Mount Union and includes UMHB, UW Oshkosh, St. Thomas, Linfield, or frankly any team that is 5+ hours from Canton?

skunks_sidekick

Cru..it's going to be great because of the following...

1.  It's at the PRO FOOTBALL HOF
2.  It's at the completely renovated Tom Benson Stadium (he donated $10 million to upgrade/re-do the stadium)
3.  The folks in Canton host the greatest football event/game/fun that has even happened
4.  They (unlike TX) will ensure this event is bigger, better, more over the top, than any other
5.  UMU has NOTHING to do with this, but it sure would be fun if they were in it
6.  More upgrades are coming, although in reality I don't know if they will be in place before the game

So....I think things in Canton will be good. 

Pat Coleman

I think the synergy with the Pro Football HOF has the potential to make this really cool.
I think the weather has the potential to make this really cold. I don't suppose those coming upgrades include a roof?
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

skunks_sidekick

Quote from: Pat Coleman on December 19, 2017, 08:02:42 PM
I think the synergy with the Pro Football HOF has the potential to make this really cool.
I think the weather has the potential to make this really cold. I don't suppose those coming upgrades include a roof?

skunks_sidekick

Quote from: skunks_sidekick on December 19, 2017, 10:49:59 PM

I swear I already answered this, but evidently it didn't post.  From Pat's computer to the football gods ears. 
We need a global warming winter, and not an old school NE Ohio winter.  Either way the folks in Canton will be ready.

Ralph Turner

Really cold is not fair!  IMHO, that neutralizes the HOF, the $10M upgrade, Canton community support.

Put a roof on the stadium and even the proximity to UMU is ameliorated.

SaintsFAN

Quote from: Ralph Turner on December 18, 2017, 05:02:24 PM
You have 2 (two) major hubs in Houston.  IAH is a hub for Delta Airlines.

IAH  -- airlines  http://www.fly2houston.com/iah/airlines/

HOU (Houston Hobby on the south side of town) is hub for Southwest.

http://www.fly2houston.com/hou/airlines/

You are going to rent a car anyway, Hobby is also an option.

I thought IAH was Continental, which turned into United?  United is the only decent carrier who flies into IAH direct from Boston. 

To the point about pricing:  I've found United is mostly cheaper than the other major airlines (outside of JetBlu/Southwest/Spirit).  I've seen their fares at 33% less than Delta/American in December. 

AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2

SaintsFAN

Quote from: crufootball on December 19, 2017, 04:09:55 PM
So how great is that atmosphere going to be if the game doesn't include Mount Union and includes UMHB, UW Oshkosh, St. Thomas, Linfield, or frankly any team that is 5+ hours from Canton?

How great was the atmosphere in last year's Stagg Bowl??

Now, I usually disagree with Merle completely, but:  How many fans not connected to teams in the Stagg will travel to Houston?  I think that was the advantage of Salem and will be for Canton. You had people like Wesleydad, wallywabash, myself, the Stone Station crew (after they had their magical season in 2001) showing up at the Stagg to check it out. 

I believe they should've kept the game within driving distance for lots of D3 fans, like it was in Salem.   

We'll see what happens. 
AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2

crufootball

Quote from: SaintsFAN on December 20, 2017, 07:58:50 AM
Quote from: crufootball on December 19, 2017, 04:09:55 PM

How great was the atmosphere in last year's Stagg Bowl??

Now, I usually disagree with Merle completely, but:  How many fans not connected to teams in the Stagg will travel to Houston?  I think that was the advantage of Salem and will be for Canton. You had people like Wesleydad, wallywabash, myself, the Stone Station crew (after they had their magical season in 2001) showing up at the Stagg to check it out. 

I believe they should've kept the game within driving distance for lots of D3 fans, like it was in Salem.   

We'll see what happens.

I thought the atmosphere was great but it was one of the lowest attended Stagg Bowls so distance seems to play some impact. I acknowledge that distance will be greater in Texas (except for any Texas school of course) but Canton is not right down the street for some likely Stagg Bowl teams either. Canton will require many fans to make the decision to make a very long road trip or fly.

I truly believe that Canton will be a great location, many things about it are great, but I think we have to at least wait and see what the Texas Stagg Bowl will be like before declaring it will be the worst thing ever.

smedindy

merlecanlas

Quote from: smedindy on December 20, 2017, 02:45:51 PM
I just don't think Merle wants to go to Texas...

who does?

I'm making plans to be there in 12 months.  But it just wont be the same.

The Shenandoah city council passed their resolutions since they felt they had to.  Complaining about busing the teams around just doesn't strike me as enthusiastic locals

edward de vere

I'm not entirely sure Texas wants Merle to come. . . .

merlecanlas

Quote from: edward de vere on December 20, 2017, 03:21:36 PM

I'm not entirely sure Texas wants Merle to come. . . .

you walked into a your mom joke, but I'm going to stay above the fray. 

The Stagg Bowl is in Texas now. IMO, it sucks, but it is what it is. 

smedindy

Some areas of Texas are neat - San Antonio / Austin are fantastic. I myself want to see the Big Bend area, and I liked the desert around El Paso (I needed some solace when I was there).

I'm sorry that it doesn't match up with the high quality entertainment found in Alliance, Canton / Akron, or even Kent. I'm sure there's some exciting sights along US 62.

(I'm originally from BFE Indiana, so....I get it.)