Shenandoah, TX 2018-19 NCAA d3fb championships

Started by Ron Boerger, October 13, 2017, 09:46:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phil

Quote from: merlecanlas on December 27, 2017, 12:01:28 PM
Maybe, most D3fb fans are more interested in the actual game and might check out the HOF and everything that Canton offers.  There's a "village" being built around the HOF, but I'm sure the Woodlands can compete.  The Woodland wont pay for busing for both teams but they will be a good host...ok.

I'm sure the suburbs of Houston are great, but I'm not moving there.  Most fans are there for 1-2 days, and there won't even be that many of them.   Enjoy your two years, it's not coming back
That's funny Merle, I'm hoping for nothing but success for the Stagg Bowl's future, while you seem to revel in the possibility of a disaster in Texas. I mean with decent weather virtually assured in the fourth largest Metropolitan area in the country, let's hope (well I'll hope and you can just gnash your teeth), for a couple of good years in Texas before 100,000 football-crazy MUC fans decent on beautiful Canton, Ohio.

As you pointed out, most people only come to the Stagg Bowl for 1-2 days, so outside the HOF and the game itself, they won't get to experience "Everything Canton Has To Offer". Once you venture outside the HOF Village and its four star ($$$$) NFL hotel, you're in statistically the 2nd worst small city for crime in the country. What to see first? NBA G team the Canton Charge? The McKinley Presidential library? Arby's? With the 37° average December temps, I'm sure you'll need to beat away the throngs of locals with a stick should MHB play Berry in a Stagg Bowl. Enjoy your 14° temps and 0° wind chill to go along with your sunny disposition today...

BTW, I know nothing about Canton, but a quick Google search turned up the following results:
These Are The 10 Most Miserable Midwest Cities
These Are The 10 Most Ghetto Cities In Ohio
Canton ranked as one of the top 20 worst cities to live in
Canton named one of "Worst American Cities to Live In
These Are The 10 Most Dangerous Cities In Ohio For 2018

Thankfully, $700 Million should buy one helluva HOF Village – with prices to match.

ADL70

Arby's isn't a Canton advantage.  There's one nine minutes from Woodforest Bank Stadium.
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

merlecanlas

Quote from: phil on December 27, 2017, 07:08:27 PM
Quote from: merlecanlas on December 27, 2017, 12:01:28 PM
Maybe, most D3fb fans are more interested in the actual game and might check out the HOF and everything that Canton offers.  There's a "village" being built around the HOF, but I'm sure the Woodlands can compete.  The Woodland wont pay for busing for both teams but they will be a good host...ok.

I'm sure the suburbs of Houston are great, but I'm not moving there.  Most fans are there for 1-2 days, and there won't even be that many of them.   Enjoy your two years, it's not coming back
That's funny Merle, I'm hoping for nothing but success for the Stagg Bowl's future, while you seem to revel in the possibility of a disaster in Texas. I mean with decent weather virtually assured in the fourth largest Metropolitan area in the country, let's hope (well I'll hope and you can just gnash your teeth), for a couple of good years in Texas before 100,000 football-crazy MUC fans decent on beautiful Canton, Ohio.

As you pointed out, most people only come to the Stagg Bowl for 1-2 days, so outside the HOF and the game itself, they won't get to experience "Everything Canton Has To Offer". Once you venture outside the HOF Village and its four star ($$$$) NFL hotel, you're in statistically the 2nd worst small city for crime in the country. What to see first? NBA G team the Canton Charge? The McKinley Presidential library? Arby's? With the 37° average December temps, I'm sure you'll need to beat away the throngs of locals with a stick should MHB play Berry in a Stagg Bowl. Enjoy your 14° temps and 0° wind chill to go along with your sunny disposition today...

BTW, I know nothing about Canton, but a quick Google search turned up the following results:
These Are The 10 Most Miserable Midwest Cities
These Are The 10 Most Ghetto Cities In Ohio
Canton ranked as one of the top 20 worst cities to live in
Canton named one of "Worst American Cities to Live In
These Are The 10 Most Dangerous Cities In Ohio For 2018

Thankfully, $700 Million should buy one helluva HOF Village – with prices to match.

I can't wait to see the tremendous crowds that Houston can bring to the Stagg Bowl.  I'm sure those millions of people are just dying to go to a football game that they have never heard of or heard of either school in the game.  You can rip on Canton all that you want, but the Canton city council will not be complaining about the cost of the Stagg Bowl and how much busing each team will be.  Please tell me how great that Shenandoah is, without bringing up things that are two exits up from Tom Benson HOF Stadium in garbage Canton. 

Warren Thompson

Phil: I'm happy to see you in good form. Please e-mail me.

~ wt

DFWCrufan

Quote from: Ralph Turner on December 23, 2017, 11:03:39 PM
My thought for the Stagg Bowl would be to hold a D-3 College recruitment festival in conjunction with the Stagg. The demographics of Conroe ISD are excellent for D3 students.

The extra 1,500 students in the school district mean that most of them are coming from some place other than southeast Texas.  If the NCAA wants to focus on student-athletes in a "target rich" area, then this is one way to do it.

Interesting notion, if you look at the Shenandoah location you have UMHB, HSU, McMurry, ETBU, Southwestern and even Louisiana College all in decent striking distance of that site from the ASC, even TLU from Seguin is only 2 hours away. But, Austin and Trinity could also benefit from exposure at a D3 Village of sorts. There are an awful lot of High schools from southern, central and even North Texas, the DFW area producing outstanding talent and students which if the local HS coaches were approached I could see them travel to an event like this to have a chance for exposure to a D3 program, not all of these talented kids are going SEC or DII. So if they play their cards right, I believe there could be as you pointed out a fabulous chance for recruiting possibilities and exposure, if they play the cards right.
9 Year Member of the CRU-Nation! UMHB National Champions 2016 and 2018

Ralph Turner

Quote from: DFWCrufan on December 28, 2017, 05:43:42 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on December 23, 2017, 11:03:39 PM
My thought for the Stagg Bowl would be to hold a D-3 College recruitment festival in conjunction with the Stagg. The demographics of Conroe ISD are excellent for D3 students.

The extra 1,500 students in the school district mean that most of them are coming from some place other than southeast Texas.  If the NCAA wants to focus on student-athletes in a "target rich" area, then this is one way to do it.

Interesting notion, if you look at the Shenandoah location you have UMHB, HSU, McMurry, ETBU, Southwestern and even Louisiana College all in decent striking distance of that site from the ASC, even TLU from Seguin is only 2 hours away. But, Austin and Trinity could also benefit from exposure at a D3 Village of sorts. There are an awful lot of High schools from southern, central and even North Texas, the DFW area producing outstanding talent and students which if the local HS coaches were approached I could see them travel to an event like this to have a chance for exposure to a D3 program, not all of these talented kids are going SEC or DII. So if they play their cards right, I believe there could be as you pointed out a fabulous chance for recruiting possibilities and exposure, if they play the cards right.
Thanks for the comment.

More specifically, I am considering all of the Texas transplants from other areas of the country where there are D3 programs that would love to attract students from Texas.

Let's be honest. The SCAC and ASC attract different students, and there are students in the Conroe/The Woodlands/Houston area who might see themselves going back to parts of the country where they have family,   ...   in the SAA, the ODAC, the OAC, the CCIW, the NCAC, the UAA, the Liberty League, the MIAC, etc.

It would take some sophisticated data-tracking but if the Stagg Bowl gave exposure to D3 and recruiting leads for student-athletes to colleges outside Texas, then that would be another measure of a successful Stagg Bowl,  and a reason for D3 colleges to coordinate a recruiting visit to Shenandoah in 2018 and 2019.

DFWCrufan

Here's the box and I'm outside it, Could a coordinated effort be made for southern schools (HS) bring their prospective students to some sort of event? A mini camp or exposure camp sort of thing? I know there are all kinds of rules but could this work for those programs you mentioned bring in student athletes and have a sort of D3 experience thing. I dunno what the plans are and I don't know if this was done in Salem but perhaps...
9 Year Member of the CRU-Nation! UMHB National Champions 2016 and 2018

Desertraider

I am going to estimate less than 3,500 attend. If UMHB plays raise it to 4,500. 10K to attend a Texas HS game is one thing - but this isn't 2 Texas HS playing. St. Eds and St. Ignatius get 10K plus...but not many of them are just "fans of the game". Most are alums and parents. Texas may be Texas but I am sure that most of the 10K that go to those games fit that demographic as well. I just don't see a bunch of random Houston residents saying "Well yee haw! There's a football game in Shenandoah tonight"
RIP MUC57 - Go Everybody!
National Champions: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017
The Autumn Wind is a Raider!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzEYK_XjyLg
Immaculate Prevention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZLq_acsVN0

edward de vere

I disagree, based on: 1) Texas football insanity  2)  Good ol' southern hospitality  3)  The desire not to be embarrassed.  4) Extras, i.e. the D# recruitment idea that's been floated.  There are only about a million other possible enhancements.  All you need is one Bill Veeck.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: edward de vere on December 30, 2017, 02:12:08 AM
I disagree, based on: 1) Texas football insanity  2)  Good ol' southern hospitality  3)  The desire not to be embarrassed.  4) Extras, i.e. the D# recruitment idea that's been floated.  There are only about a million other possible enhancements.  All you need is one Bill Veeck.
Names on the backs of jerseys!
A re-creation of the original exploding scoreboard!
Eddie Gaedel to preside over the coin toss!  I like it!

ADL70

A vertically challenged running back that is hidden behind OL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZzIgZ1yrKk
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

phil

As long as it's better thought through than Disco Demolition Night and 10¢ Beer Night.

Warren Thompson: I emailed you a couple days ago – did you receive?

Toby Taff

Quote from: phil on December 30, 2017, 01:29:18 PM
As long as it's better thought through than Disco Demolition Night and 10¢ Beer Night.

Warren Thompson: I emailed you a couple days ago – did you receive?
10 cent beer night? When I was in college there was a local bar that had penny bar drink night (well drinks)  til 9 on Thursdays. Was a kicker bar, but on Thursdays it was the most diverse place in Temple until 9pm.
My wife and I are Alumni of both UMHB and HSU.  You think you are confused, my kids don't know which Purple and Gold team to pull for.

merlecanlas

Quote from: edward de vere on December 30, 2017, 02:12:08 AM

I wonder what the attendance #'s are for the 2017 TX HS semi's held on the same weekend of Stagg Bowl?  I'm sure all of those casual TX football fans would rather buy a ticket to see Mount vs Whitewater instead of watching the TX semi's on TV

joelmama

Quote from: Teamski on December 11, 2017, 12:27:29 PM
Quote from: wally_wabash on December 11, 2017, 11:59:40 AM
Nobody routinely, or ever, practices in lake effect blizzards.  That kind of condition favors nobody.  This is a bad take. 

Lake effect snow would cancel the game of course (another good reason why the location is less than ideal).  Seasonal snow and cold is another story, and that DOES play into the cold weather team's hands.  Example:  Wesley at UWW 2005.  Snow hits the field that week.  Wesley shows up (which is not a good cold weather team to begin with) and finds out that the cleats they brought were too short.  Too late.  The subsequent slip-laden game results in a 58-6 loss.  UWW practiced on that turf and were ready for the conditions.  Not saying that Wesley would have won the game, but they were better than that.

This was a seeded game.  If this was a championship, how would that show who was the better team?

-Ski
Canton pretty much never gets lake effect snow.  It is more than 50 miles from Lake Erie and by that distance lake effect is gone.  I live halfway between and we get it sometimes, but mostly it stops short of my location.