BB: SCIAC: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, December 31, 2005, 09:33:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

108 Stitches

Skips Soldier.
+1 or +100 if I could but +1 will do for now.

Jack Parkman

What an absolute meltdown of epic proportions by Redlands.  Going into the top of the 7th with a 10-1 lead and your starter working on a 3-hitter, only to make a pitching change and give up 19 runs over the next 9 outs.

Congrats to Chapman, they earned it the hard way by coming out of the losers bracket.

Both of these teams will be in the West Regional and I feel like Chapman will be the #1 seed and Redlands the #3.  I could see TLU making a big jump to the #2 slot or Concordia, if they win next weekend.

RFB

Quote from: Jack Parkman on May 06, 2018, 09:59:06 PM
What an absolute meltdown of epic proportions by Redlands.  Going into the top of the 7th with a 10-1 lead and your starter working on a 3-hitter, only to make a pitching change and give up 19 runs over the next 9 outs.

Congrats to Chapman, they earned it the hard way by coming out of the losers bracket.

Both of these teams will be in the West Regional and I feel like Chapman will be the #1 seed and Redlands the #3.  I could see TLU making a big jump to the #2 slot or Concordia, if they win next weekend.

Shocked to see the score. I was watching the game and Redlands was cruising, but had to log off and go take care of a few things. Checked the score when I got home and could not believe it. Baseball is a crazy game at times.

Congrats to Chapman on a great tournament. Tough way for Redlands to lose, but hopefully the SCIAC gets two teams in for the playoffs.

Purple Heys

Quote from: Skips Soldier on May 06, 2018, 09:31:57 PM
https://youtu.be/PVDH3MX4MYI

@PurpleHeys

@lil skippy
I, for one, would not have wanted you to have to make good on your "threat".  You are too much fun.

And congrats by the way, that was one helluva turnaround.
You can't leave me....all the plants will die.

Jack Parkman

Quote from: Jack Parkman on April 28, 2018, 09:50:11 PM
SCIAC Tournament is all set.

1. La Verne
2. Redlands
3. Chapman
4. Pomona

Pomona comes in going 2-8 in their last 10 and they really benefited from Cal Lu failing to win 2/3 from CMS. 
Chapman has been playing really well lately but I feel like Cosby as a starter is their only weakness right now
La Verne is nothing fancy, just a bunch of grinders. 
Redlands will go as far as their starting pitching goes.  Redlands has spit almost 70% of their innings between 4 arms.  If any of their starters get in trouble it will be really tough on them. 

Cal Lu showed you can go far with a little bit of pitching, but I don't think many schools will try and go that route.

I would say the tourney is pretty even in the top 3, with Pomona just being happy to be there.  Tough day for a lot of seniors out there, with their careers coming to an end.  Hope they all do all in their post-baseball life.

Yeah, about that....great job stepping up by Cosby and great job showing me how wrong I was.

Purple Heys

All-West Region teams for D3Baseball.com and ABCA/Rawlings - well peppered with SCIAC players.  Interesting discrepancies between the two - No La Verne players on the D3 version (which surprised me), also no P-P's; and 4 La Vernies and 2 P-P's on the ABCA version.

http://www.d3baseball.com/awards/all-region/2018/west

https://www.abca.org/ABCA/Awards/All-Region/NCAA_Div_III/2018.aspx

Congratulations to the players.

MIFDad

Anybody surprised that Cosby and Aguilar were drafted but not Minjarez?

Jack Parkman

Quote from: MIFDad on June 06, 2018, 08:50:57 PM
Anybody surprised that Cosby and Aguilar were drafted but not Minjarez?

Not really.  Minjarez was the same pitcher all 4 years, whereas the other two are likely projected in a different way.

Purple Heys

Maybe they came to scout Minjarez and left liking what they saw in Aguilar...

Jim Dixon

Drafting a catcher is a good idea, since most teams need several.  I hosted a summer player whose sole ambition was to be come a MLB warmup catcher.

MIFDad

Decided to check on these guys today while I was looking at other guys who have come through our lives playing with or against my son.

Hugh Smith -- has not played.  Injury? Dunno. He's on active roster.

Ranier Aguilar --  Rookie League -  just 4 AB's in 2 games - no hits yet. 

Christian Cosby -- Rookie League -  14.1 IP, 17 K, 1.26 WHIP,  .236 AVE.  Not bad!

Also, Minjarez signed as a FA with the Padres. Rookie League -   8.2 IP,  9 K, 1.67 WHIP,  .167 AVE.   Also not bad!

Finally, Pomona's Nishioka is in his 2nd season of Milb: 3 games in AA, rest in A: .309 AVE .875 OPS 3 HR.  Not bad at all.

SoCal OG

Looking forward to following this board!  My son is currently deciding between teams in the SCIAC and NWC...my gut says he'll end up in the SCIAC though. 

Ralph Turner

Quote from: SoCal OG on August 10, 2018, 05:16:55 PM
Looking forward to following this board!  My son is currently deciding between teams in the SCIAC and NWC...my gut says he'll end up in the SCIAC though.
Welcome to the message boards.  The West Region is the strongest region in D3. Several fans are active on all of the boards.  The NCAA D3 Champion has come from the West Region 4 of the last 6 years. Each conference has had a member win the National Championship.

2013  Linfield (NWC)
2016  Trinity TX (SCAC)
2017  Cal Lutheran (SCIAC)
2018  Texas Tyler (ASC) which defeated Texas Lutheran (SCAC) in the final series.

Enjoy!

MIFDad

Quote from: SoCal OG on August 10, 2018, 05:16:55 PM

Welcome! If you have not already, you might want to check out this thread:

http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?topic=8424.0

Also, a few pages back in the thread we're on there is recent rundown of the fields at various schools.  But it occurs to me that this doesn't cover the athletic buildings, which can also have a big impact on a player's experience.

Of the ones I have seen:

Oxy:  meh
P/P:  very nice, close to field
Redlands: ditto
Chapman: outstanding
CMS: outstanding