MLB Topics

Started by Mr. Ypsi, February 08, 2008, 06:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bombers798891

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on August 23, 2017, 10:03:23 PM
Hard luck story for today:

The Dodgers' Rich Hill had a perfect game into the 9th, when a fielding error by a teammate wrecked that.  He still had a no-hitter into the tenth, when Josh Hamilton hit a lead-off, walk-off homer.

I can't recall: since he went nine, does he get credit for a no-hitter or not?

No. A no-hitter requires a complete game. A similar fate befell Pedro Martinez in 1995

Mr. Ypsi

In the 13th season of a career which will probably end in Cooperstown (and, I hope, in Detroit first), Justin Verlander FINALLY got his first MLB RBI! ;D  That put the Tigers up 1-0; he left the game leading 5-1 after 6.  Tigers won 6-2. 

He is probably roughly the pitcher that Babe Ruth was, but he sure ain't the hitter - that moves him to 4 of 41 for his career.

(Though he sure had a blast crowing to his fellow pitchers a couple of years ago when he had two hits in one game!)

Mr. Ypsi

Six weeks ago, Justin Wilson, Justin Upton, and Justin Verlander were three of the best Tigers.  As of midnight last night, the Tigers are Justin-less.  The resale market for Tigers tickets has reportedly completely collapsed - one poster claimed he couldn't get even $6 for his $21 face-value tickets.  Apparently a AAA team at MLB prices is not an easy sell! :o

Mr. Ypsi

Oh, the humanity!! 

The Toronto Blue Jays were no-hit tonight by James Paxton (Seattle Mariners), who is a native Canadian!

108 Stitches

you don't say, eh...

Jim Dixon

The stat I like is that of the three no-hitters, all were in different countries.

Mr. Ypsi

Yankee slugger Aaron Judge struck out FIVE times in the nightcap of the DH in Detroit.  I'm assuming that has got to set a new all-time record in futility!

Bombers798891

Many players have struck out five times in a game before.

Ralph Turner

Mr. Ypsi

Just read a fascinating article on the Tigers' Gates Brown, considered by many to be the most clutch pinch-hitter in MLB history.  He oudid himself in the WS-winning year of 1968, with a .450 BA as a PH (a team-leading .370 overall), including .611(!) in 8th inning appearances, and .488 in 8th, 9th, and extra-inning appearances!

He quit the Tigers after the WS win in 1984, an embittered man.  He believed it was racism that kept him from ever being a regular starter in the outfield, and that led the Tigers to offer him what he considered to be an insultingly modest raise after he led the Tigers to offensive glory in 1984 as the hitting coach.

He died of a heart attack at 74 in 2013.

Mr. Ypsi

A mildly strange game at Comerica Park tonite (not that I haven't seen it a number of times before) - after 8 innings, the Tigers have been outhit by the Twins 8-3; yet lead 5-2!  At 35, Ervin Santana should understand that walks can be just as toxic as hits - he only walked two, but both soon scored on HRs.  Despite not pitching very well, UWSP's Jordan Zimmermann is the beneficiary of the Tiger's timely (if not numerous) hits.

Yesterday, former Tiger (now Astro's ace) Justin Verlander had a complete meltdown.  Vs. Seattle, he picked off a runner at second, but was called for a balk, sending the runner to third instead of ending the inning.  He then gave up back-to-back HRs.  I don't know what he said to the ump, but he was ejected before he even hit the foul lines.  The result was by far his worst outing as an Astro (whom he greatly helped to his first WS title last season): 6 earned runs in two innings.  Unless he goes on a totally dominant run, that may cost him his third Cy Young, that looked like a foregone conclusion a few weeks ago.

Mr. Ypsi

Final from Comerica: Twins 10 hits, 3 runs; Tigers 3 hits, 5 runs.

The losing team out-hitting the winning team is not unusual, but the margin of difference seems quite rare to me.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on August 10, 2018, 09:40:22 PM
A mildly strange game at Comerica Park tonite (not that I haven't seen it a number of times before) - after 8 innings, the Tigers have been outhit by the Twins 8-3; yet lead 5-2!  At 35, Ervin Santana should understand that walks can be just as toxic as hits - he only walked two, but both soon scored on HRs.  Despite not pitching very well, UWSP's Jordan Zimmermann is the beneficiary of the Tiger's timely (if not numerous) hits.

Yesterday, former Tiger (now Astro's ace) Justin Verlander had a complete meltdown.  Vs. Seattle, he picked off a runner at second, but was called for a balk, sending the runner to third instead of ending the inning.  He then gave up back-to-back HRs.  I don't know what he said to the ump, but he was ejected before he even hit the foul lines.  The result was by far his worst outing as an Astro (whom he greatly helped to his first WS title last season): 6 earned runs in two innings.  Unless he goes on a totally dominant run, that may cost him his third Cy Young, that looked like a foregone conclusion a few weeks ago.
Channeling my best Bernard Malamud, it's gotta be due to a woman. 

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Ralph Turner on August 11, 2018, 05:17:43 AM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on August 10, 2018, 09:40:22 PM

Channeling my best Bernard Malamud, it's gotta be due to a woman. 

Malamud may well be correct, but in this case it would be supremely ironic:  just this past week, Verlander was quoted saying Kate Upton may have saved his life!  Not long after his greatest seasons, his career seemed headed into the toilet - velocity down, injury after injury, wins getting more and more scarce, pundits (and many fans) saying he was done for.  He claimed that he might have jumped off a bridge if not for the love and steadying influence of the woman who is now his wife.  I suspect it was a fair amount of hyperbole, but considering the resurrection of his career as an Astro (except for the meltdown ::)), I think we can conclude that she has been more good than jinx! ;D

I THINK he is already a lock for the HoF (though I'd feel more certain with another good year or two).  I just hope he will remember that his start and his greatest achievements (other than the WS ring) were as a Tiger.  I would be extremely peeved if he decided to go in as an Astro rather than in the olde English D.

Ralph Turner

In Cooperstown, Nolan Ryan is listed as "Primary Team LA/California Angels", but his ballcap says "T", Texas Rangers with other mention  of the NY Mets and Astros.