MBB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by miac newbie, February 17, 2005, 03:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drake Palmer

[
Quote from: Greek Tragedy on November 14, 2018, 10:55:05 AM
I was hoping to get the MIAC's take on the St. Olaf loss to Point last night. I really thought it would be closer. I mean, St. Olaf returned everyone except Tobroven(?) Right? A loss to Point may be easier to swallow than losing to Eau Claire. What gives?

Robert Tobroxen was a huge part of STO's success last year, and did a lot of the little things that helps a team win. Although I still think the Oles will be tough, it's going to take some time before this year's team finds their stride.  Perhaps, not until conference play.  On paper, it looks like they've got a brutal non conference schedule.
"If anything here offends, I beg your pardon. I come in peace, I depart in gratitude." ;)

AO

We had one of the all-time great Snelling Ave ShootoutsTM at Northwestern last night as the Eagles got past the Pipers in OT.  The Pipers had a 10 point lead in the 2nd half and a 4 point lead with 19 seconds to go, but it wasn't enough as freshman Michael Moore hits the 3 followed by a missed free throw and a Johnny Erickson game tying drive and layup with just a tick left in regulation.  Both teams had 4 point leads in OT before Bazile  hit the go ahead game winner. 

I was very impressed by the Pipers patience as they waited to get the ball into the post where Scheuring and Brooks were having a lot of success.  Jake Larson also had a nice game, he'll hit a lot of big shots this year. 

Last night's UMAC sweep brings the UMAC vs MIAC challenge to 5-6, with the MIACers holding the slim lead.

Drake Palmer

Quote from: AO on November 16, 2018, 12:13:39 PM
We had one of the all-time great Snelling Ave ShootoutsTM at Northwestern last night as the Eagles got past the Pipers in OT.  The Pipers had a 10 point lead in the 2nd half and a 4 point lead with 19 seconds to go, but it wasn't enough as freshman Michael Moore hits the 3 followed by a missed free throw and a Johnny Erickson game tying drive and layup with just a tick left in regulation.  Both teams had 4 point leads in OT before Bazile  hit the go ahead game winner. 

I was very impressed by the Pipers patience as they waited to get the ball into the post where Scheuring and Brooks were having a lot of success.  Jake Larson also had a nice game, he'll hit a lot of big shots this year. 

Last night's UMAC sweep brings the UMAC vs MIAC challenge to 5-6, with the MIACers holding the slim lead.

I watched the last part of the Hamline Northwestern game and that was an exciting ball game. I'd agree Hamline was very patient running their sets, but it seemed UNW was a bit more athletic at the guard spots.  The gap between the MIAC and UMAC has been greatly reduced in the last couple of years, and it will be interesting to see how the season challenge concludes.

I also watched a portion of the UST Brooklyn College game, and while the cupboard isn't completely bare, it could be another challenging year for the Tommies. The BC Bulldogs were picked to finish 5th out of 9 teams in the Preseason CUNYAC Basketball poll.

One of the best lines I've heard by a basketball announcer thus far this young season was by a very enthusiastic BC announcer with a strong New Yawk accent who exclaimed after a travel call on one of the Tommies - "He did a pirouette, this ain't no ballet."  ;) ;D

The Tommies have a bunch of wings with the green light to hoist up the trey, but they have no real post presence other than Connor Bair and the undersized Elijah Hannah. If they can eliminate some of the TOs, shoot better from the charity stripe, and increase their FG % they'll be competitive, but a larger team could give them problems. I'll wait to see if I'm forced to eat my words.  ;)
"If anything here offends, I beg your pardon. I come in peace, I depart in gratitude." ;)

SUMMIT!!!!!

After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb

bball1122

A few quick thoughts:

Booker Coplin (Augsburg) may be the best player in the MIAC.

Zach Korba (Bethel) looks like he's going to be at least the equal of his brother Austin (St. Olaf).   Granger Kingland may be the best player in the MIAC.

Bryden Urie (Concordia) is going to score a lot of points this year.

St. John's is still really good. David Stokman may be the best player in the MIAC.

Saint Mary's starting five looks decent.  Maybe a new culture helps them turn the corner?

Olaf really misses Tobroxen.  But they'll still be a playoff team.

Anders Nelson (UST) is the best freshman in the MIAC and may very well be one of the best in the nation.

Greek Tragedy

I picked up Coplin in my fantasy league, so I hope you're right. He's averaging 30 and 10, but his competition hasn't been eye-popping. We'll see what this week brings with the opening of conference play.

What are you basing your opinion on? His stat line? Have you seen him play?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

bball1122

He was one of the most highly recruited Division 3 players in Minnesota his senior year of high school.   Ended up at UWRF, but transferred back to Augsburg (where his dad went).  He's a big guard who can absolutely light it up from deep.  I'd guess he's one of the best rebounding guards in the nation, and he's skilled enough to play the point.  He's not going to keep putting up these numbers, but I could see him averaging 19 points, 6 rebounds, 3-4 assists per game this season.   He'll have the ball in his hands a ton.   If Augsburg is successful, he'll be a huge part of that.

jamtod

Has anybody heard ticket sales numbers or estimates for the games Friday night at US Bank Stadium?

AO

Quote from: jamtoTommie on November 26, 2018, 05:23:09 PM
Has anybody heard ticket sales numbers or estimates for the games Friday night at US Bank Stadium?
Doesn't look too good judging from the ticketmaster availability.  They're selling them half-price today (promo code: CMONDAY). 

fredfalcon

Just watched first half of UST/Macalester. Scots no match for tough Tommie D which helped them to an 18  point lead at half. Anders Nelson is the complete player. He had 17 but was lectured by Pat Bauschelt, one of the refs, for hot dogging it after stealing the ball and laying it in. He got into the face of the Mac player he stole the ball from. Nelson deserved the lecture.

UWRF will have to play well to win at US
Bank Stadium.
WORLD'S OLDEST FALCON FAN.

MESSAGE TO RECRUITS:  IN DOUBT? ENROLL AT STOUT. DON'T CARE? GO TO EAU CLAIRE. AT A LOSS? TRY LACROSSE. FEELIN' OUTTA JOINT? YOUR PLACE IS POINT. DON'T LIKE THE REST? DO WHAT'S BEST!

GOT BALLS? PLAY FOR THE FALLS!

SUMMIT!!!!!

Fred- he had 17 at half and 24 for the night, not to mention 6 steals. He is fun to watch and was an excellent recruit for UST. Yeah he got a little chirpy but Bauschelt is the last person to be critical of someone exhibiting a bit pf showmanship--- I swear he thinks we pay admission to see him, not the players.

Friday night should bee a fun game-- and will be far more entertaining than the 2nd game

Italian proverb

jamtod

Just got back from the basketball classic at US Bank Stadium with a couple of Minnesota team victories.
Nelson impressed again and Bair was an animal inside with 10 blocks.
Not sure having this game side by side with D1 does D3 any favors as the size and speed differences were quite apparent but a fun event overall.
Attendance was just over 12k I think

fredfalcon

UST looks like the best team in the MIAC. Nelson is not just the best freshman in the league but quite possibly the best player in the league, altho I'm not qualified to make that assessment because I've seen very little of the MIAC. I think he's better than Coplin, a fine player also.

RF managed to hang around until the three minute mark when they had to resort to pressing/fouling. The Tommie D forced RF out of their usual pace and was largely responsible for the Falcons' 2/12 three point shooting.
WORLD'S OLDEST FALCON FAN.

MESSAGE TO RECRUITS:  IN DOUBT? ENROLL AT STOUT. DON'T CARE? GO TO EAU CLAIRE. AT A LOSS? TRY LACROSSE. FEELIN' OUTTA JOINT? YOUR PLACE IS POINT. DON'T LIKE THE REST? DO WHAT'S BEST!

GOT BALLS? PLAY FOR THE FALLS!

SUMMIT!!!!!

The tip off classic at US Bank was a fun night. First time in the facility and I was impressed by it as a venue-- very clean, state of the art and nicely done.  it actually converted nicely for hoops (which the Metrodome did not).

The UST/UWRF game was a good battle, as is usually the case when these two square off. It looks like JT has a nice rotation of 10 guys in place and he seems settled on that-- something that was never the case last season (primarily due to a string of injuries that ever gave him the full roster healthy for a game).

Solid play by all in purple but highlighted by the 1-2 duo of Bair & Nelson. As Jamto note, Bair was a beast in the paint. His offensive prowess was aided by a number of nifty passes  (often from Nelson) setting up sweet buckets It helped that the Fla cons big guy (#44) got in foul trouble (aside comment-- whistle-happy refs suck and ruin a good game). Nelson was, simply, the best player on the court. For an "undersized" freshman he does it all-- scores, shoots well, aggressive & hustling defense and passes the ball to the open teammate. I spoke with a number of former UST stars (and some not so "star" studded  8-))  and it was unanimous-- Nelson is a force and a joy to watch. Also, I liked the play of Tommy Anderson off the bench. Michael Hannon's sweet shot is back which is a big plus.

Echoing Jamto again, the double header highlighted the physical differences between D3 & D1(aka semipro) The size, speed and overall athleticism was something to see--- making me even more eager to enjoy my ticket to the Final Four, where good D1 teams will be on display!

Next week is a pair of good match ups for UST-- home games with Bethel and the Carleton. Both should be fun to watch and (hopefully) sweet Tommie wins!

FalconFred- I think your Falcons will do well this year and I hope UST & RF continue their annual border battle for many years to come.

Italian proverb

AO

I was able to catch the Gophers in the 2nd game on my way home since Northwestern took care of Stout pretty quickly. 

I'd hardly call it a great venue for hoops.  Fun for a game or two but absolutely no-one but the players or press have good seats.