BB: General Mid-Atlantic Region Discussion

Started by baseball1001, February 18, 2008, 10:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baseball1001

Just wanted to get some talk about the Mid-Atlantic region going before D3baseball.com writes their preview on it. Who are the top teams in each conference? Who will represent the region in Appleton? Top players in the region? You get this gist of things.

Cutter

Hopkins has to be the odds on favorite, with all due respect to Kean...Hopkins graduated only 4 guys off that team last year, that was loaded offensively....they bring their entire pitching staff including a guy who got hurt in Az last season who is 88+....their best offensive player, and 3B, who got hurt last season also in Az is back...their All-American SS is back...look out, I think they are legit....of course i could be way off... ;)

DirtyHairy

Hi fellas.....I'm new here and to the D3 baseball world, but am excited for the upcoming season.   I can tell you that Alvernia lost some big guns, and that they have a young pitching staff, but with this coaching staff and some very good returning players, they should be very competitive, esp. in the PAC.  We play 3 at Lynchburg this weekend, so we'll find out soon.....

Jim Dixon

Quote from: baseball1001 on February 18, 2008, 10:19:42 PM
Just wanted to get some talk about the Mid-Atlantic region going before D3baseball.com writes their preview on it. Who are the top teams in each conference? Who will represent the region in Appleton? Top players in the region? You get this gist of things.

The Mid-Atlantic review will be on line Thursday.

rjburke

Won't be Frostburg --  what a start! I guess the AD is rethinking his moves since July right about now.
We won't know about Kane until they get some games under their belts, but right now, the pitching lokks pretty good, the defense looks excellent, and the line-up looks strong. Of course, its what you do on the field that counts, so lets see where they are come March 12 -- 7-10 games played and heading out west.

d3baseballnut

I believe Hopkins has to be the favorite headed into the season. Im afraid kean got its high ranking simply out of respect for their great season last year, but looking at who they lost, i just think its really bold to say they still belong that highly ranked. Hopkins returns alot. They return 3 all-conference position players and their entire pitching staff. They also add some guys back from injuries which i hear will more than make up for their few losses at C and 2B. Gwenedd-Mercy also returns a hefty crew of hitters, but their pitching might be a weak point. Kean is also a possible threat to repeat, but I believe things set up well for hopkins this year. We will see...

Mr. Ypsi

I don't wish to be rude, but there is a Mid-Atlantic Region thread.  Shouldn't this be there, or are we going to duplicate all the regional threads on the national topics board?

Spence

Until proven otherwise, there will never be a season in which the favorite to win this region IMO isn't the NJAC favorite.

So...anyone know who the preseason pick was in the NJAC? I never saw a poll.

rjburke

Kean. Posted today on the NJAC site.

Spence

Quote from: rjburke on February 20, 2008, 04:49:15 PM
Kean. Posted today on the NJAC site.

Thanks...little surprised by that but honestly don't know what they have coming back.

My guess would have been Montclair State.

blipp50

how could rowan get any recognition they get it every year no matter what they do, they are not that good, there are other teams in the njac that are sleepers that you better watch out for, every year montclair, rowan get votes in preseason for no good reason

phil

2008 NJAC Baseball
Preseason Coaches Poll

1.    Kean (5)
2.    Montclair State (4)
3.    Rowan (1)
4.    The College of New Jersey
5.    Richard Stockton (dark horse)
6.    Ramapo
7.    William Paterson
8.    Rutgers-Camden
9.    Rutgers-Newark
10.    New Jersey City

First Place Votes In Parentheses

I was a bit surprised that TCNJ was picked fourth after winning the last three NJAC titles.

Quote from: blipp50 on February 20, 2008, 11:46:55 PM
how could rowan get any recognition they get it every year no matter what they do, they are not that good, there are other teams in the njac that are sleepers that you better watch out for, every year montclair, rowan get votes in preseason for no good reason
blipp50,
Yeah, Montclair is soooo over rated every year. Thirty-nine trips to the regional tourney, thirteen trips to the College World Series (3 of the last 7 years), and three national championships worth of over rated! Until last season, Rowan was in five consecutive regional tournaments with two College World Series appearances. They also happen to return their entire starting pitching rotation this year.

Do you think Ramapo's a sleeper? They finished near the bottom of the NJAC in fielding percentage and pitching – giving up almost twice the runs / game that Kean did. They also had a pretty weak early season schedule (four games against Apprentice?), before playing close to .500 ball the last 20 games — NJAC games! How do you see them above Kean, TCNJ, Rowan, or Montclair?

I can buy Stockton as a sleeper. They return their pitchers (who unlike Ramapo, were not bad last year). But how can you rate them higher than fifth when Stockton advanced to the NJAC playoffs for the first time in school history in '07 and promptly went 0-2?

C'mon blipp50, I know you're a Ramapo fan, but at least show me some facts behind your silly statement — and some knowledge of NJAC history (recent will do) while you're at it.

Cutter

I really think this is the year the NJAC will not send the representative from the MA region....Hopkins is loaded this year, and should put together a monster season...lookin forward to it...without a doubt the NJAC will put a team out there that will be a force, but i think this year things line up very nicely for them....only time will tell.....less than 10 days!!

blipp50

phil, i understand what your saying but when your number 1 in the nation in hitting for almost the whole season its hard to count ramapo out.  The pitching was suspect but i guess we will have to see what this year holds.  as for apprentice, this year they open up with a tough 3 game trip to virginia playing christopher newport and north carolina wesleyan.  i guess we will have to see what ramapo is really made of.   But just remember rowan got swept by ramapo last year with the same pitchers they have this year.  Montclair i feel will be stronger this year.  so its gonna be an interesting year, lets leave it at that!!!!!!!!

Spence

Quote from: Cutter on February 21, 2008, 12:20:44 PM
I really think this is the year the NJAC will not send the representative from the MA region....Hopkins is loaded this year, and should put together a monster season...lookin forward to it...without a doubt the NJAC will put a team out there that will be a force, but i think this year things line up very nicely for them....only time will tell.....less than 10 days!!

That's quite a risky bet.