2018 NCAA Tournament

Started by Ralph Turner, February 25, 2018, 07:33:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caz Bombers

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 03, 2018, 10:22:50 PM
Quote from: Titan Q on March 03, 2018, 10:17:21 PM
Whitman, UW-Stevens Point, Nebraska Wesleyan, UW-Platteville...

That would be at UW-Platteville.

Yep.

Ramapo, F&M, Middlebury, and MIT? Your guess is as good as mine. It's an all-busing sectional, we know that. But none of thees four teams hosted this weekend, so none of them are high seeds.

Swarthmore, Plattsburgh State, Hamilton, and Springfield is also an all-busing sectional.This one has a likely host, though, as Plattsburgh State was seeded highly enough to host a pod this weekend. I think that this sectional will be up in the North Country.

Selfishly, I'm hoping for Ramapo. It's the most central option in that sectional, and the only one I can reasonably drive to after work on Friday!

Plattsburgh probably deserves to host, but will they bid? They're going to have NCAA women's hockey at their rink next weekend for sure, but that's just one game.

Greek Tragedy

Unless they put the court on top of the rink, I don't see why Plattsburgh wouldn't host...or wouldn't WANT to for that matter.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

njf1003

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 03, 2018, 10:22:50 PM

Yep.

Ramapo, F&M, Middlebury, and MIT? Your guess is as good as mine. It's an all-busing sectional, we know that. But none of thees four teams hosted this weekend, so none of them are high seeds.
I'd wager a guess at Ramapo since they were second regionally in the final rankings. But Middlebury might have a stronger case. And it all depend on who put in to host week 2.

Onward on, John Carroll

Quote from: BobbyO on March 03, 2018, 10:44:06 PM
Looking at map quest it appears that Emory is a little over 500 to John Carroll, Augie and Oshkosh barely under 500.  Emory is the highest ranked at 6th, Augie is 9th, John Carroll is 20th and Oshkosh is 23rd.  I doubt that the NCAA would fly Augie and Oshkosh to Atlanta.  Emory would be the only one that would have to be transported via air.  If the look at rankings it should be at Augie.  John Carroll is the most central to other schools.  I am pulling for Rock Island IL at the Carver Center.

The NCAA doesn't use MapQuest. They measure mileage at this site:
https://web1.ncaa.org/TES/exec/miles

Using that system, it's likely Augustana. All three teams would need to fly to Emory so they're out. All three teams would need to fly to Cleveland so JCU is out.

So, it's either Augustana or Oshkosh to save a flight. Augustana is the higher seed (they hosted this weekend and Oshkosh didn't). So...to Augustana.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on March 03, 2018, 10:46:47 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 03, 2018, 10:27:47 PM
Quote from: KnightSlappy on March 03, 2018, 10:21:03 PM
Quote from: AndOne on March 03, 2018, 10:10:33 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 03, 2018, 09:45:51 PM
Nebraska Wesleyan moves on with an 82-61 win over Aurora in St. Louis.

I think Nebraska Wesleyan's non-conference schedule caused a sizable chunk of fans, analysts, and poll voters to underestimate their overall level of talent and capabilities.

Can anyone explain how the NCAA looks at host sites for the 3rd and 4th rounds? If a team hosted games last evening and tonight, does that make any difference as far as hosting again next weekend?
Is it all dependent on the remaining seeds? Thanks.

All of the computer ratings systems had Nebraska Wesleyan in the top five or six at the end of the season.

Based upon the fact that NebWes had two of the best players in last season's IIAC, Nate Schimonitz and Cooper Cook, coming back this season, I knew that the Prairie Wolves would be good. If anything, it looks like several other NWU players, such as Deion Wells-Ross and Ryan Garver, have emerged this season as stars, too.

With all of the carnage that took place this weekend, NebWes looks to me to be one of the remaining favorites.

In a sectional that includes Whitman/CMS, Platteville and Point?

Yes. I still like Whitman to win that sectional, but NebWes has a very good shot if Whitman falters.

Actually, I think that whichever team that wins this sectional is the favorite going into Salem.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

AndOne

I think Nebraska Wesleyan's non-conference schedule caused a sizable chunk of fans, analysts, and poll voters to underestimate their overall level of talent and capabilities.

Can anyone explain how the NCAA looks at host sites for the 3rd and 4th rounds? If a team hosted games last evening and tonight, does that make any difference as far as hosting again next weekend?

All of the computer ratings systems had Nebraska Wesleyan in the top five or six at the end of the season.

Based upon the fact that NebWes had two of the best players in last season's IIAC, Nate Schimonitz and Cooper Cook, coming back this season, I knew that the Prairie Wolves would be good. If anything, it looks like several other NWU players, such as Deion Wells-Ross and Ryan Garver, have emerged this season as stars, too.

With all of the carnage that took place this weekend, NebWes looks to me to be one of the remaining favorites.

Other than their top ranking, I don't really know anything about Whitman. However, if NWU plays either Platt or Point, I'd be willing to wager a small sum on NWU coming out on top. 😏

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Onward on, John Carroll on March 03, 2018, 10:59:38 PM
Looking at map quest it appears that Emory is a little over 500 to John Carroll, Augie and Oshkosh barely under 500.  Emory is the highest ranked at 6th, Augie is 9th, John Carroll is 20th and Oshkosh is 23rd.  I doubt that the NCAA would fly Augie and Oshkosh to Atlanta.  Emory would be the only one that would have to be transported via air.  If the look at rankings it should be at Augie.  John Carroll is the most central to other schools.  I am pulling for Rock Island IL at the Carver Center.

Using that system, it's likely Augustana. All three teams would need to fly to Emory so they're out. All three teams would need to fly to Cleveland so JCU is out.

So, it's either Augustana or Oshkosh to save a flight. Augustana is the higher seed (they hosted this weekend and Oshkosh didn't). So...to Augustana.

Yes, thank you, OOJC, for confirming this and saving me the trouble of pulling up TES in spite of the fact that I was already pretty sure about it. :D
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

spwood

Plattsburgh probably deserves to host, but will they bid? They're going to have NCAA women's hockey at their rink next weekend for sure, but that's just one game.

They didn’t have any problems hosting under these conditions this weekend (plus hosting 3 high school sectional basketball games).  The hockey and basketball teams don’t play in the same building.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: AndOne on March 03, 2018, 11:03:08 PM

Other than their top ranking, I don't really know anything about Whitman.

The Blues are playing right now, Mark. Turn on the game and watch them.

Quote from: AndOne on March 03, 2018, 11:03:08 PMHowever, if NWU plays either Platt or Point, I'd be willing to wager a small sum on NWU coming out on top. 😏

A Whitman vs. NebWes sectional final might break the scoreboard.

Onward on, John Carroll

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 03, 2018, 11:03:30 PM
Quote from: Onward on, John Carroll on March 03, 2018, 10:59:38 PM

Yes, thank you, OOJC, for confirming this and saving me the trouble of pulling up TES in spite of the fact that I was already pretty sure about it. :D

My pleasure. It was closer than I thought, though. JCU-Augustana was 503 miles. JCU-UWO is 530 miles.

Greek Tragedy

No love for the WIAC, that's ok.  ;D
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Rofrog

I'm not sure if they care about the mileage at this time.I remember last year on the women's side they shipped Scranton,Tufts and I think Oshkosh to St Louis way over 500 miles for them two teams.But who knows!

Gregory Sager

Whitman and CMS going to overtime. Tim Howell seriously gacked at the free throw line in this one. He missed two FTs with half a second remaining and the game tied. All told, he missed four out of five FTs in the final 67 seconds of regulation.

njf1003

Quote from: Rofrog on March 03, 2018, 11:46:55 PM
I'm not sure if they care about the mileage at this time.I remember last year on the women's side they shipped Scranton,Tufts and I think Oshkosh to St Louis way over 500 miles for them two teams.But who knows!
They might fly an extra team, but probably not. Maybe both of the bussing schools didn't submit to host for some reason or another. If two teams are within 500 miles of one another, it is highly likely one of those two will host.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on March 03, 2018, 11:45:07 PM
No love for the WIAC, that's ok.  ;D

How in the world does this:

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 03, 2018, 11:01:09 PM
Actually, I think that whichever team that wins this sectional is the favorite going into Salem.

... count as "no love for the WIAC"?