BB: OAC: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, January 09, 2006, 11:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EttaFan1

Entirely too optimistic for MC and too pessimistic for Mount and 'Berg, IMO. 

I'm entirely too anxious for the season to start.  Marietta has already lost one of the young pitchers for an unknown reason (he was on the roster in December and isn't now, and I overheard someone talking at a basketball game a bout someone leaving for the team but didn't hear the reason.  Stuff happens, I guess, but the person in question in very limited varsity innings looked pretty good).  Pitching depth has to be a significant concern.  Coach Castle will earn his stripes as the pitching coach this year. 

Bishopleftiesdad

Quote from: Dr. Acula on January 24, 2013, 06:35:38 PM
Tip of the cap to Bishopleftiesdad for spotting the d3baseball.com preseason top 25 today. 

Etta received the most 1st place votes (14) but checked in at #3.  The only other squad receiving votes was Mount and they sit 6 spots deep in the ORV.

I'm kind of surprised Berg didn't receive any votes at all.  I know they didn't have a great year last year, but I thought with what they had coming back combined with the reputation of the program they'd garner a few votes.  Oh well, preseason polls are tough.  I'd hate to vote in it.  It's so hard to examine that many teams so you'd just end up reshuffling last year's final poll to reflect graduation losses for the most part.

Thanks Dr.
I would not want to vote on it either. A lot of teams do have this years rosters up yet. I have to imagine it would be hard to determine who is coming back. It imagine it would take a lot of work. This seems more accurate the the other preseason poll in my view though.

This is not a Slam against Kenyon, they did have a very nice year, but they did not play many tough teams but Wooster last year. The other poll had them in the also receiving votes. There record was good but they were beat pretty well in the tournament.

Bishopleftiesdad

Quote from: EttaFan1 on January 25, 2013, 11:16:47 AM
Entirely too optimistic for MC and too pessimistic for Mount and 'Berg, IMO. 

I'm entirely too anxious for the season to start.  Marietta has already lost one of the young pitchers for an unknown reason (he was on the roster in December and isn't now, and I overheard someone talking at a basketball game a bout someone leaving for the team but didn't hear the reason.  Stuff happens, I guess, but the person in question in very limited varsity innings looked pretty good).  Pitching depth has to be a significant concern.  Coach Castle will earn his stripes as the pitching coach this year.

I knew Brewer and Deegan saw this coming a year or two ago. My son is a pitcher (I know, pretty obvious.) and they pursued him pretty hard.  I am sure they have some kids that will step up.

OshDude

Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on January 25, 2013, 11:24:37 AM
Quote from: Dr. Acula on January 24, 2013, 06:35:38 PM
Tip of the cap to Bishopleftiesdad for spotting the d3baseball.com preseason top 25 today. 

Etta received the most 1st place votes (14) but checked in at #3.  The only other squad receiving votes was Mount and they sit 6 spots deep in the ORV.

I'm kind of surprised Berg didn't receive any votes at all.  I know they didn't have a great year last year, but I thought with what they had coming back combined with the reputation of the program they'd garner a few votes.  Oh well, preseason polls are tough.  I'd hate to vote in it.  It's so hard to examine that many teams so you'd just end up reshuffling last year's final poll to reflect graduation losses for the most part.

Thanks Dr.
I would not want to vote on it either. A lot of teams do have this years rosters up yet. I have to imagine it would be hard to determine who is coming back. It imagine it would take a lot of work. This seems more accurate the the other preseason poll in my view though.

This is not a Slam against Kenyon, they did have a very nice year, but they did not play many tough teams but Wooster last year. The other poll had them in the also receiving votes. There record was good but they were beat pretty well in the tournament.
Jim Dixon sends questionnaires and teams return them. Voters and preview writers have a lot of info thanks to Jim's legwork. I asked Jim for a specific set of team questionnaires. The request resulted in 76 emails that sated my inner nerd.

Dr. Acula

I was snooping around to see who, if anyone, has their rosters up with freshmen included.  I sadly found that Mark Zimmerman from Green HS (Akron) went to BW.  Their games are always in the Canton and Akron papers so I see them all the time and I was hoping Mount would snag him.  He was a very good P/SS for a strong DI HS program.  He was their ace and went 6-1, 1.11 ERA, 57 K, 44.1 IP and also hit .388 w/ 23 RBI.  Coach Wallace's kids tend to do pretty well in college ball because he's a good one so that looks like a nice get for the Jackets.  And especially so since he was being recruited by Malone and Walsh (both DII). 

I guess the Raiders just need to convince his former teammate Evan Keeslar who was one of the area's best hitters last year to come out and at least DH for them.  He's a freshman on the hoops team currently so just steer him down the hall to the batting cage once in a while! 

Dr. Acula

Also noticed that Jay Yost, who was 2nd team All-OAC, was listed as "injured" with no jersey number for BW. 

For Berg I didn't see Steve Kisan who started at 3B (I think) as a freshman last year listed on the roster this year.

Bishopleftiesdad

Quote from: Dr. Acula on February 04, 2013, 12:14:59 PM
I was snooping around to see who, if anyone, has their rosters up with freshmen included.  I sadly found that Mark Zimmerman from Green HS (Akron) went to BW.  Their games are always in the Canton and Akron papers so I see them all the time and I was hoping Mount would snag him.  He was a very good P/SS for a strong DI HS program.  He was their ace and went 6-1, 1.11 ERA, 57 K, 44.1 IP and also hit .388 w/ 23 RBI.  Coach Wallace's kids tend to do pretty well in college ball because he's a good one so that looks like a nice get for the Jackets.  And especially so since he was being recruited by Malone and Walsh (both DII). 

I guess the Raiders just need to convince his former teammate Evan Keeslar who was one of the area's best hitters last year to come out and at least DH for them.  He's a freshman on the hoops team currently so just steer him down the hall to the batting cage once in a while!

Coach Harrison is a great recruiter. He does everything right and last years record shows how quickly he is turning around this program. I am not surprised to see top talent from Nothern Ohio matriculating at BW.

Dr. Acula

We're getting close!  Ott opens the season in under 2 weeks on 2/18 against Ohio Christian in Chillicothe.  Cap, JCU (2/22) and BW (2/23) follow shortly after.  Cap has that early spring trip so they'll actually have 6 games in by the end of February and wrap up in FL by 3/2.  The Raiders don't open until 3/10 in FL so all my opening games excitement is going to be spent elsewhere.

Bishopleftiesdad

OWU opened on 2/25 last year in Chillicothe.
You want to talk about one cold game. Wind chill was 18 Wind blowing in with heavy snow squalls. But i did get to see my son pick up his first save of his college career.

Dr. Acula

I just looked at Mount's JV schedule.  They play Walsh and Thiel 6 times each.  Good lord.

Bishopleftiesdad

Quote from: Dr. Acula on February 07, 2013, 05:35:38 PM
I just looked at Mount's JV schedule.  They play Walsh and Thiel 6 times each.  Good lord.

Doesn't Heidelberg have a JV? I am surprised they do not play them.

Dr. Acula

Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on February 08, 2013, 11:42:09 AM

I don't think they ever play any other OAC schools JV teams.  It's usually a lot of Walsh and then whoever else they can find.  It's a good 2.5 hr drive to Berg so places like Thiel and NDC are more feasible for JV games just by being an hr + closer.  If Hiram and Westminster have JV teams they'd be good options too since they're both around an hr away.   

motorman

Quote from: Dr. Acula on February 08, 2013, 12:26:45 PM
Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on February 08, 2013, 11:42:09 AM

I don't think they ever play any other OAC schools JV teams.  It's usually a lot of Walsh and then whoever else they can find.  It's a good 2.5 hr drive to Berg so places like Thiel and NDC are more feasible for JV games just by being an hr + closer.  If Hiram and Westminster have JV teams they'd be good options too since they're both around an hr away.

Right again Dr, JV games are mostly about getting people innings, they aren't real concerned with who they play. Geographic proximity and low travel cost are most important. On occasion, Berg JV has played Marietta JV in Florida. Berg plays a lot of JV games vs Tiffin and Owens Community College out of Toledo. Just looked at schedule and Berg plays Adrian, Ohio Wesleyan, Ohio Northern, and Denison in Florida this year. Looks like Owens has been replaced by Lourdes College this year on JV schedule.

Bishopleftiesdad

OWU has always had JV team but usually only plays games in Florida and a few others during the year. With the size of the roster and the number of recruits this year there should be more games.

I am glad to see OWU jv is palying Heidelberg. I will be sure to make to that game.

Dr. Acula

Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on February 10, 2013, 02:07:26 PM
OWU has always had JV team but usually only plays games in Florida and a few others during the year. With the size of the roster and the number of recruits this year there should be more games.

I am glad to see OWU jv is palying Heidelberg. I will be sure to make to that game.

I'm surprised OWU has a JV team.  Haven't they traditionally had smaller rosters?  We've had the roster size discussion before, but that's one of the benefits of the BW/Mount approach of having 50-60 kids is that you can field a full JV squad that plays a full schedule.