FB: USA South Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:14:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scots13

Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

jknezek

Interesting headline:

http://www.mypanhandle.com/story/d/story/two-graceville-football-players-sign-scholarships/17360/4MJ-ygRtfUWAK8Cu4hBxIw

Simple fact checking is beyond the reach of newspapers these days... To be fair, headlines are usually written separately from the reporter who wrote the story, so it's likely the headline writer is at fault since the story does not mention scholarships.

Hawks88

Quote from: jknezek on April 01, 2015, 12:41:00 PM
Interesting headline:

http://www.mypanhandle.com/story/d/story/two-graceville-football-players-sign-scholarships/17360/4MJ-ygRtfUWAK8Cu4hBxIw

Simple fact checking is beyond the reach of newspapers these days... To be fair, headlines are usually written separately from the reporter who wrote the story, so it's likely the headline writer is at fault since the story does not mention scholarships.
Would have been nice if they could have spelled Huntingdon correctly too.

tigerfanalso

Would love to see Maryville and HSC on each others schedule for years to come. Not too far to travel and should help improve SOS for both schools.

Scots13

Quote from: tigerfanalso on April 02, 2015, 10:53:13 AM
Would love to see Maryville and HSC on each others schedule for years to come. Not too far to travel and should help improve SOS for both schools.
I wanted that when I was in school and now that I'm back in Farmville I definitely want it. A lot shorter drive than Danville, Ferrum, Greensboro, or Maryville.
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

Scots13

TFA..I got to thinking about a possible MC/HSC series.

This year MC plays ETSU. That'll be a one and done thing.
HSC plays the second game of the Wabash series. Is that it, or is it going to be renewed?

If not, maybe the MC/Berry game or the CNU/HSC game can be moved to fit the game into the schedule.

If there is a way, I hope there is a will.
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

sigma one

The Wabash/Hampden-Sydney series is home and home.  It ends September 5th this year in Virginia, at least for now.   

abnrgr

Any thing exciting someone is just ready to "bust telling it". (as we say down in Havelock NC) The socioeconomic, educational, entertainment, sports, mecca of the coast.  :-\ Not to mention the attempt at the 4th straight state championship. That last part was for Admiral Papi who is a East Carteret Alum... :)
Never shall I leave a fallen comrade

tigerfanalso

Scots13

I don't think the Wabash contract will be renewed but I certainly speak with no authority.
I would think both CNU and HSC would want to continue playing each other because of SOS and the convenience for both schools. This year we play Ferrum, CNU and Wabash ooc. Next year I would love to see Maryville on the schedule. I'll suggest this to our to our AD.

How long have you've been back in Farmville ?

Scots13

SOS for both schools would improve greatly and travel, as you said, isn't much of a factor. In a bus a team can make the trip in about 6 hours or so. 75% interstate and the rest four lane US highways.
When the series with E&H was renewed, it was great having alums come speak to us about the rivalry and get us ready for the game. If only we can get them this year. I feel like it might have the same feeling with a renewed series with HSC.  We had a good amount of fans at the playoff game a few years back and it was a tremendous game.

I've been back in Farmville since last May. Coming up on a year...time has flown by.
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

CNU85

Quote from: Hawks88 on April 01, 2015, 04:07:29 PM
Interesting headline:

The bottom 50% of the class have to find jobs somewhere.....I think we found where a few of them landed.....writing headlines. It is annoying when people, who have access to thousands of readers, do not get the facts straight or can't spell the name of a college correctly.

Scots13

Quote from: CNU85 on April 08, 2015, 09:00:34 AM
Interesting headline:

The bottom 50% of the class have to find jobs somewhere.....I think we found where a few of them landed.....writing headlines. It is annoying when people, who have access to thousands of readers, do not get the facts straight or can't spell the name of a college correctly.

^ ouch.

You would think it's common knowledge D3 schools don't have athletic scholarships. I mean come on..aren't there like twice as many D3 schools as D1?
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

bman

Quote from: Scots13 on April 08, 2015, 10:19:27 AM
Quote from: CNU85 on April 08, 2015, 09:00:34 AM
Interesting headline:

^ ouch.

You would think it's common knowledge D3 schools don't have athletic scholarships. I mean come on..aren't there like twice as many D3 schools as D1?
The average D1 alum/football fan, has no Idea that D3 exists, other than maybe club sports.   
I spoke with a set of Florida State Alums in Talahassee last week, and we got on to the suject of football, since FSU had a scrimmage that day.   They had no idea who Mount Union or UWW was.  When I mentioned that there was indeed a D3 football championship, there was general smirking...and I have run into that elswhere.  In general, unless someone is a real football fan, D3 is not on a D1 alum's radar...

GillCJ1

Quote from: bman on April 13, 2015, 12:05:08 PM
The average D1 alum/football fan, has no Idea that D3 exists, other than maybe club sports.   
I spoke with a set of Florida State Alums in Talahassee last week, and we got on to the suject of football, since FSU had a scrimmage that day.   They had no idea who Mount Union or UWW was.  When I mentioned that there was indeed a D3 football championship, there was general smirking...and I have run into that elswhere.  In general, unless someone is a real football fan, D3 is not on a D1 alum's radar...

I just wanted to chime in here.  Obviously, I don't speak for others, but as someone who is relatively new to the whole D3 scene... I concur.  Before attending graduate school at a small, private D3 university, I had very little knowledge of the programs "below" the D1/FBS level.  Sure, I watched their championship games on ESPN when that time of the year came along, but I considered them to be glorified high school games. 

Boy was that a huge mistake on my part.

I did my undergrad at Georgia Tech (late 90s).  At that time the ACC wasn't much of a football conference.  Heck, some may argue they still aren't (FSU aside).  Still, I can remember having conversations with people who had absolutely no idea they played football in other divisions.  My experiences might be skewed, though.  GT isn't exactly breaking down the walls with knowledgeable sports fans.  However, looking back I wish I had known more about D3 (and D2, for that matter).  I missed out on so much because of my incredibly biased opinion on what constituted as "real" football.

Here's a neat story.  In the fall of 2013 I was in Atlanta visiting family.  I have lots of family and friends who are big sports fans, so our conversations naturally skew in that direction.  A few of us were watching an NFL game between Indianapolis and... honestly, I forget.  Ha!  Anyways, they were discussing the starters and we got to talking about how certain D1 schools are most represented in the pros.  I took the opportunity to explain how Indy's starting ILB (Jerrell Freeman) played for Mary Hardin-Baylor.  No one knew of the school, save for a few people who knew my wife worked there.  In fact, a few of the guys did not believe me until I had them look it up.  This led to a conversation on D3 schools in general and several of the guys had little to no knowledge it existed at all.  I know it made an impression on some of them.  Since then, one of those guys informed me he's started attending games at LaGrange College.

I hope more and more people begin to realize there is football being played outside of D1.
ASC Football Champs 2002-03, 2005-2018 | D-III National Champions 2016, 2018

2016 National Confidence Playoff Pick 'Em Champion
2017 ASC Pick 'Em Co-Champion

hasanova

http://www.golfstatresults.com/public/leaderboards/nonav.cfm?pg=team&tid=8026

Congratulations to Methodist and LaGrange for their 1-2 finish at the DIII National Men's Golf Championship in Greensboro.  Host Guilford finished 8th in the 41 team field.