FB: American Southwest Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Boerger

This from today's ASC announcement regarding 2014-5: http://www.ascsports.org/news/2014/6/30/GEN_0630140357.aspx - no surprises but distills some of the recent conversation here:

[...]McMurry begins the four-year Division III reclassification program on September 1.

Under ASC bylaws, McMurry athletic teams will be in a scheduling alliance for team sports (results do not count toward ASC standings) until all athletically-related aid is removed from student financial aid packages at which point contests count in league standings and teams become eligible for regular-season titles only. Once McMurry is granted active Division III membership, team sports are able to qualify for ASC Championship Tournament play and the institution counts toward the conference's NCAA Division III automatic qualification numbers.

[...]

Belhaven University is slated to begin membership with the American Southwest Conference on July 1, 2015 contingent upon successful selection to the four-year NCAA Division III provisional membership program in June 2015. The 2014-15 academic year will be Belhaven's final year of NAIA membership and competition in the Southern States Athletic Conference and the Mid-South Conference (football).

So if McM is giving two more years of scholarships they can compete for regular season championships beginning 2016-17.    It might be the case that some sports would have no scholarships a year (or maybe even two) early if ALL the scholarship athletes leave in which case the door could be open for regular season participation sooner - hard to tell if it has to be ALL scholarships at McM or just those in a sport.

Full announcement talks about all kinds of things, worth a read.

Pat Coleman

That's a long time for McMurry to have spent wandering in the wilderness over this ill-conceived notion of joining Division II. Ineligible from 2011-12 until 2018-19.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

jknezek

Quote from: Pat Coleman on July 02, 2014, 01:34:47 PM
That's a long time for McMurry to have spent wandering in the wilderness over this ill-conceived notion of joining Division II. Ineligible from 2011-12 until 2018-19.

That's what happens when you make bad mistakes. You pay a penalty. From the field to the executive suite bad mistakes are and should be costly. Sad for the kids though.

crufootball

Wow, never thought of it like that, would certainly leave a giant hole in their records books as far as conference titles and playoff appearances go.

Ralph Turner

Now retired Coach Barbara Crousen won the Men's D-III National T&F Outdoor Championships in 2012, her second. McMurry Men played in the NCAA Football and Basketball Championships in 2011-12.

Pat Coleman

And ineligible from then until 2018-19, yes. That's a long span between years in which you are eligible for the NCAA postseason.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

umhb2001

Wow! That stinks!  Going to be tough to recruit with those kinds of drawbacks. That's good for The Cru, Though!
Watch out for the wreckingCRU defense!!

Kelly Boggs

Congratulations to former UMHB standout Javicz Jones for earning All Indoor Football League honors in his rookie season with the Texas Revolution.   

http://www.cruathletics.com/news/2014/6/24/FB_0624143523.aspx
UMHB alumnus and proud supporter of The CRU. "UP with the PURPLE!" 

"If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas." - Darrell Royal

"Never make excuses. Your friends don't need them and your foes won't believe them." John Wooden

crufootball

Quote from: Kelly Boggs on July 07, 2014, 12:36:06 PM
Congratulations to former UMHB standout Javicz Jones for earning All Indoor Football League honors in his rookie season with the Texas Revolution.   

http://www.cruathletics.com/news/2014/6/24/FB_0624143523.aspx

To add to that, congrats to Mike Maldonado of UMHB who led the Amarillo Venom in tackles in the LSFL and Undre Hendrix of HSU who led the Venom in sacks and tackles for loss.

Also Nate Menkin who spent the last 2 seasons with the Texans and Eagles, started in his first game in the CFL with the Ottawa RedBlacks.

umhb2001

Ron Boerger

Local article on Belhaven's move to D3 and the ASC:

http://onlinemadison.com/main.asp?SectionID=4&SubSectionID=4&ArticleID=28972

A lot of misunderstanding going on here.   One guy thinks Belhaven will be more able to compete for championships just because they're going to D3, the article's author says the school will be a full-blown member of the ASC in 2015 (which I guess could be true if they give up ALL scholarships after the upcoming season, but that would be unusual), the tennis coach says they expect to continue to be top 10-15 in D3 (with 2x as many teams who already know how to recruit in D3, easier said than done).    Interesting reading.

D3MAFAN

Quote from: Ron Boerger on July 10, 2014, 10:31:26 AM

A lot of misunderstanding going on here.   One guy thinks Belhaven will be more able to compete for championships just because they're going to D3, the article's author says the school will be a full-blown member of the ASC in 2015 (which I guess could be true if they give up ALL scholarships after the upcoming season, but that would be unusual), the tennis coach says they expect to continue to be top 10-15 in D3 (with 2x as many teams who already know how to recruit in D3, easier said than done).    Interesting reading.

That was the main line that stood out, but it is very possible. I wonder how many teams or programs became a Top 10 team or program after its first 5 years.

crufootball

Quote from: D3MAFAN-MG on July 10, 2014, 05:45:46 PM
Quote from: Ron Boerger on July 10, 2014, 10:31:26 AM

That was the main line that stood out, but it is very possible. I wonder how many teams or programs became a Top 10 team or program after its first 5 years.

It may be possible, but I think it is going to take some much different recruiting which usually takes time. Looking at his roster, most are from outside the US and I can only assume were drawn to Belhaven by an athletic scholarship. Not saying he can't change his style and still win but heck even in own backyard there will be a fellow D3 school in Millsaps and a D2 school Mississippi College.

couchcru11

The new d3football.com top 25 came out with the usual suspects in the top 7. Can't wait to see if UMHB can crack into the top spot this year.
"A Crusader NEVER walks alone!"

umhb2001

Quote from: couchcru11 on July 16, 2014, 05:58:22 PM
The new d3football.com top 25 came out with the usual suspects in the top 7. Can't wait to see if UMHB can crack into the top spot this year.

I couldn't care less about a #2 or #1 ranking. I came to UMHB in 97 as they were recruiting and have been watching games since 98. Unable to make the trip to the Stagg in 2004, I witnessed the blk punt and subsequent TD at the hand of Linfield. I traveled to Wesley in 2006 to see our team sputter, and yes, I was in the stands last year as we lost by 1. I want to see a passionate group come back this season and do what should have been done last year. Only then do I care about a #1 ranking.