World Cup and European leagues

Started by Jim Matson, June 11, 2006, 12:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sac

Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on July 02, 2014, 05:32:05 PM
Quote from: Gray Fox on July 02, 2014, 04:58:41 PM
Would we have done better with the players that were left off?
Well the obvious one was Donovan who we really could have used after Jozy went down... but hindsight is always 20/20. Maybe with a few different players we might have made it as far as the quarterfinals (I think that's the best they could have possibly done) but it's also possible they could have fizzled out in the group stage.

The important thing is they played decent, didn't embarrass themselves, and got a respectable but not outstanding finish. It's the first time they've won a game in back to back World Cups. The question is how will the next generation of players fare... will recent successes lead to improved youth or will they be unable to keep up what the current aging team has built.

They got out of the group of death with Germany, Portugal and Ghana.  This was much, much more than a respectable and outstanding finish.

Most 'experts' had them with zero points in that group.  They far exceeded expectations IMO.

madzillagd

So who is the next coach when JK steps away?

jknezek

JK's contract runs through the 2018 cup. This is his big experiment with almost total control. He will be hard to lure from this job right now. A bad showing at Copa America May change that but short of that I don't think he'll leave until he gets the payoff he's aiming for. But with enough money who knows?

woacfan

Gulati worked too hard to get Klinsmann where he is to let him go.  Klinsmann took the job with the intention of making the USA a soccer power.  I doubt he will leave before 2018. He loves America and wanted this job for a long time, but he was smart enough to take it on his terms.

His high profile brought the German-American kids to the US side.  He is sure to get more kids with American connections to play for the US side over the next few years. 

The big problem with this team is not keeping Klinsmann its the keeper position.  That is the one position on the roster that is filled by three old guys: Howard and Rimando are 35.  Guzan is 29.  As good as Howard played--which was amazing-- its difficult to see him still at his peak at 39. 

Dempsey also will be in his late thirties.  I think the challenge for the next two years will be to find a few true forwards for the US. 

All said,  the US now has moved into the knockout stage for the last three World Cups.  I see them taking the next step in 2018...

"We talk about it for 20 minutes and then we decide I was right" - Brian Clough

jknezek

Guzman at 29 is perfectly placed for 2018. Goalies peak in their early to mid 30s so that doesn't worry me much. The striker pool is in better shape than I ever remember it. Boyd, Altidore, and Johannson are all still young. A fourth will come through MLS in the next few years. We've never had that depth at forward. Dempsey is going to be hard to replace. I'm hoping Diskeruud or the kid at Tijuana keep moving forward in that creator role. That would let Bradley sit deeper. We asked too much of him creatively this time. The wings are in good shape as is central defense.  Fabian Johnson and Yedlin were both promising at back. Hopefully Chandler will figure it out as well. The center back combo of Gonzalez and Brooks could be promising as Besler will be 33 or so by 2018.  Overall, I'd say 2018 could be the best collection the U.S. has ever had to look forward to at this stage of a cycle.

FCGrizzliesGrad

Quote from: woacfan on July 02, 2014, 10:18:07 PM
All said,  the US now has moved into the knockout stage for the last three World Cups.  I see them taking the next step in 2018...
Actually it's only 2 in a row. They only managed a single draw in 2006 and finished last in their group.
Only twice has the US managed to win multiple games at a World Cup... 1930 and 2002. They still have a lot of work to do to be able to take the next step and be a consistent threat to make the semifinals, but they're certainly closer than they were 2 decades ago.
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

woacfan

Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on July 02, 2014, 10:31:52 PM
Quote from: woacfan on July 02, 2014, 10:18:07 PM
Actually it's only 2 in a row. They only managed a single draw in 2006 and finished last in their group.
Only twice has the US managed to win multiple games at a World Cup... 1930 and 2002. They still have a lot of work to do to be able to take the next step and be a consistent threat to make the semifinals, but they're certainly closer than they were 2 decades ago.

2, 3, 8....I never let the facts get in the way of a good story!  haha!  ;D
My bottom line is they've become a very interesting team and I am looking forward to seeing where it all leads!
"We talk about it for 20 minutes and then we decide I was right" - Brian Clough

FCGrizzliesGrad

Quarterfinal time... now that a bunch of the American "fans" of the World Cup will lose interest without the US in it, it's time for the contenders to shine.

France vs Germany: West Germany had issues in 1982 which leads to people today going on about them to fill time for back to back games. France has been impressive while Germany was exposed a bit against Algeria. I can see Germany keeping it scoreless through regulation but France will strike in extra time for the 1-0 win

Brazil vs Colombia: The finals of the South American bracket. Brazil is the top seed and gets to host :D Brazil has been shaky at times but they've survived. Colombia meanwhile are enjoying their best run ever. All the pressure will be on Brazil but the home crowd won't be enough. Colombia with the upset and a 2-1 victory over the hosts.

Argentina vs Belgium: Both of these teams needed extra time in their last game and both avoided going to PKs. This time however there won't be any goals in extra time and they'll head to penalty kicks still tied at 0. This one is a total coin flip and I'll go with Argentina.

Netherlands vs Costa Rica: The darlings of the tournament have been Costa Rica. I'm sure they'll have a lot of support in the crowd but unfortunately their run comes to an end. Netherlands will cruise to a 2-0 win

Just looking ahead... at the moment I think I'd pick Oranje over Les Bleus in the finals

Basketball
2015 Nat'l Pickem

Soccer

Gray Fox

The main reason the US needs to get better in soccer is so we can get play-by-play announcers who sound like us. :P
Fierce When Roused

frank uible

When taking NYC taxicabs, it became clear scores and scores of years ago that we are probably not ever going to sound like us again..

Gray Fox

I guess I wasn't very clear myself.  The guys with English and Scottish accents speak English but are hard to understand.  We need Bob Costas or someone similar.  Also, I have no idea why it is important to the national team for all the references to their club teams.
Fierce When Roused

FCGrizzliesGrad

Personally I enjoy announcers with various British accents better than most of the bombastic American announcers. I don't have any problem understanding them, but then again I've watched a lot of British tv stuff so I'm used to it.

Basketball
2015 Nat'l Pickem

Soccer

jknezek

How could Germany vs France be that boring?  For this stage of the tournament that was a game lacking urgency and style. As for Brazil vs Columbia the ref let the game get out of hand. Should have been very entertaining but turned into a slugfest with Neymar going out for the tournament. A real shame. Here's hoping tomorrows games are better.

FCGrizzliesGrad

Only once has a CONCACAF team made it to the semifinals, that was the US in 1930. The only other team not from Europe or S America to make the semifinals was South Korea in 2002 when they hosted. Could Costa Rica possibly join that list today?

Basketball
2015 Nat'l Pickem

Soccer

sac

Pretty much the final four you could have hoped for.

I think Robben might end up winning this thing for Holland, he's been rampaging this whole tournament.