WBB: Centennial Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, December 24, 2004, 06:52:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The NCAA released the third set of women's basketball regional rankings with few changes from last week's version. This is the final set that we'll see before the Tournament bracket is released on Monday. Full list here: http://d3hoops.com/notables/2018/02/women-regional-rankings-third

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The Division III men's and women's national tournaments are set, teams are where they need to be, and practices underway. Now, it's just a matter of tipping off the games.

But before we tip them off, we need some final thoughts.

Tune in Thursday night to Hoopsville where Dave will talk to a number of guests about their programs and their chances in the NCAA tournament. You can't starting heading down the Road to Rochester or the Road to Salem without getting an idea of who may be joining you, either. Dave will give some insight on how some of the pods just may shake out as well.

Also, earlier in the day, Dave talked with Women's Basketball Nationall Committee chair Bobbi Morgan (also head coach at Haverford) and asked her a lot about the selection process and bracketing for this year's tournament. You can hear that special podcast here: http://bit.ly/2GUbfE0

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. Thursday's edition hits the air at 7:00 p.m. ET. You can tune in live here: http://bit.ly/2HSi9ed.

If you have questions, be sure to email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com or interact with the show via the social media avenues.

Guests Schedule (order subject to change):
- Marc Brown & Sam Toney, New Jersey City men's coach and star player
- Nate Davis, Gettysburg women's coach
- Jeff Rogers, Berry men's coach
- Alex Richey, Oglethorpe women's coach (WBCA Center Court)
- Dan Englestad, Southern Vermont men's coach
- Ken Scalmanini, Claremont-Mudd-Scripps men's coach

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts instead, you can get access to them or subscribe one of the three following ways (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

We've entered the part of the season when teams are either off the court for an extended period of time or they are still practicing and playing occasional games leading up to a break around Christmas. It is an odd time of the season. You look away one night and forget there is a big game happening. You try and focus in another night only to realize there isn't much to watch (if anything).

Some schools are still wrapping up finals as well!

These few weeks can also be challenging to teams. Staying fresh even though there could be up to a month between games. Staying focused, even though academics are a much higher priority that what's happening on the court. And staying healthy despite travel to different parts of the country or back home to be with family.

Thursday night on Hoopsville, Dave tries to work his way through the distractions to talk to a few teams all of which still have games this December and seem to be off to pretty good starts. We'll even hear from a student-athlete's perspective. How are finals, the holidays, and travel affecting these programs?

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. Thursday's episode will air live starting at 7:00 pm ET right here: http://bit.ly/2rA87rl (and via Facebook Live simulcast).

If you have questions about Division III basketball, feel free to send them and we will answer them on a the show. Email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com or use any of the social media options below.

- Charles Katsiaficas, Pomona-Pitzer men's coach
- Ron Rohn, Muhlenberg women's coach
- Madison Temple, No. 4 Thomas More Senior guard
- Matt Lewis, No. 6 UW-Oshkosh men's interim coach

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts instead, you can get access to them or subscribe one of the three following ways (click on the images when necessary):

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

It is now or never.

The last week of the Division III basketball regular season is here. Conferences will decide who will earn automatic bids to the NCAA Tournaments and teams try and position themselves for at-large bids, hosting opportunities, and bracketing considerations.

For teams who have been faltering, this is the last chance to right the ship. For programs which have underachieved, this is the last opportunity to live up to expectations. And of course for those with Cinderella dreams, this is the chance to try on the glass slipper.

Sunday's Hoopsville will cover it all in a special, extended, episode which for the first time (outside of Marathon programming) will feature a guest from each of the eight regions. We will also discuss which teams may be on the bubble, who has most likely secured at-large bid, and which teams need to win the AQs. Plus, we talk about how regions as we know it now could very well change in the future.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. Sunday's show will hit the air at 6:00 p.m. ET. It can be watched live right here: http://bit.ly/2EeG5ZE (and simulcast on Facebook Live and Periscope).

If you have questions about Division III basketball, feel free to send them and we will answer them on a the show. Email them to dave.mchugh@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options below.

- Katherine Bixby, Johns Hopkins women's coach
- Jonathan Crosthwaite, Occidental men's senior
- Marc Brown, NJCU men's coach
- Justin LeBlanc, Millsaps women's coach
- Jamie Seward, SUNY New Paltz women's coach
- Marcos Echevarria, No. 17 Nichols men's senior
- Herman Carmichael, La Roches men's coach
- Klay Knueppel, Wisconsin Luthern women's coach
- Brad Bankston, ODAC Commissioner
- Pat Coleman & Ryan Scott, D3hoops.com (Bubble Talk)

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The new NCAA Division III women's basketball regional rankings are posted: https://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2019/02/women-regional-rankings-third

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Called the Gettysburg at McDaniel game tonight. Gettysburg is a solid unit. I like several of the players on the team. I will be interested to see how things progress. They have size, not surprisingly, but tempo can be challenging. But I would be shocked if they aren't battling for the top spot this season.

McDaniel is going to surprise people. New coach and a whole new system. They are deeper with at least two freshmen already playing key roles. This isn't the Green Terror unit of the last few years.

ronk

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on November 20, 2019, 11:03:03 PM
Called the Gettysburg at McDaniel game tonight. Gettysburg is a solid unit. I like several of the players on the team. I will be interested to see how things progress. They have size, not surprisingly, but tempo can be challenging. But I would be shocked if they aren't battling for the top spot this season.

McDaniel is going to surprise people. New coach and a whole new system. They are deeper with at least two freshmen already playing key roles. This isn't the Green Terror unit of the last few years.

I have seen 3 of the players in AAU((Makenzie Tinner-15 pts & Olivia Matto  for Gburg) and Natalie Mehl(10 pts) for McDaniel). That Matto doesn't start means the players ahead of her must be pretty good.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I could see reason for Matto to start, but she seems pretty good coming off the bench. She was 1-4 in 14 minutes. I think she struggled a bit with the aggressive defense McDaniel was playing. A number of Bullets struggled with a team that is playing differently than they have seen the last few years.

Tinner is good and has gotten better, but she also struggled against Conroy (McDaniel freshman) at times. Tinner was best when a screen opened her up and she could get a quick turn to the basket once the ball got to her. She also was a bit more successful when Conroy was out of the game. Tinner got in foul trouble as well which didn't help. Tinner had 15 points on 6-8 shooting. She was at least smart to realize that if she didn't have the ability to attack the basket, she wasn't going to force it. But she also only had five rebounds - 2 on the offensive end.

Mehl is a solid player. Her first game out of the gates for McDaniel she led all scorers and was hot from beyond the arc. Last night she had her moments where she was hitting, missing, and forcing. She will find her place, but she is a great additional weapon outside and even mid-range for McDaniel to take pressure of Mondoro and others.

I am actually impressed that McDaniel got the likes of Mehl and Conroy after a few years of rough recruiting (good talent, but seemed to be missing better talent). Conroy gives them more size inside and takes the pressure of Storer who can transition to more of a 3 or 4. Conroy is also a very good shot blocker which she showed off against Gettysburg. And she can hit the occasional deep ball. Both are good passers as well and seem to see the court well.

When McDaniel was on and playing their offense well last night, they were tough to stop. When they hit the skids for eight minutes between the third and fourth quarters, they got out of their system and struggled. You could see the pressure of hitting a basket getting to them and they stopped doing what was working so well - especially ball movement. The ball got stuck in player's hands and they started trying to do things on their own in desperation. They had the same trouble to start the game, but worked out of it by getting to the free throw line and eventually starting hitting shots which they gained confidence out of - which also fed the defense. Gettysburg did a good job in the second half of eventually frustrating McDaniel into that lengthy no-field goals period. It came after McDaniel got it's biggest lead of the game which speaks volumes to Gettysburg figuring it out - and the coaching staff finding the combo. Most of that run to take the lead while McDaniel struggled was without any of the starters on the floor for the Bullets.

ronk

I forgot that I also saw Gburg's Tori Yantsos many times(I was interested in 2 of her AAU teammates). She'll be an above-average player in the Centennial.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

She's good. She got in foul trouble last night early again because of the up-tempo defense and a player control foul (I believe) that was easily avoidable (aren't they all? LOL). But Word and Ravenscroft also got in foul trouble early for similar reasons. Word has a habit of no longer moving her feet and trying to reach in especially in the paint on help defense. That was two or three of her fouls and nearly another few could have been called. Word actually picked up her third early in the second quarter and came back in with 4:30 left in the first half - did a decent job on defense while staying away from a four foul.

Anyway, Yantsos is good. Maybe a second teamer in the conference, though.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The Division III basketball regular season has officially entered it's final month. Where has the time gone?

Seems like a perfect time to take a break for lunch. Chat about what is ahead and teams which have positioned themselves well to still be playing next month.

Thursday on Hoopsville (at a special time), we chat with not only a few of Top 25 programs, but also a team that has seemingly come out of nowhere to be contending in one of the more difficult conferences.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch Thursday's show LIVE starting at 12:00 pm ET in the following ways:
- Main page: www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville
- Show page: http://bit.ly/36ZYxAo (or www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2019-20/feb6)
- Facebook Live Simulcast: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
- YouTube Simulcast: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville
- Team1 Sports: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville/
- Team1 Sports app (Android TV, Amazon Fire, Apple TV, Roku) - you will either find it under the "live" section or search for the Hoopsville channel
Sunday's show primarily covers the Atlantic, Central, South, and Northeast Regions. All men's coaches appear in the NABC Coach's Corner. And all guests are featured on the BlueFrame Technology Hoopsville Hotline.

Thursday's show primarily covers the East, Great Lakes, Mid-Atlantic, and West Regions. All men's coaches appear in the NABC Coach's Corner. And all guests are featured on the BlueFrame Technology Hoopsville Hotline.

If you have questions about Division III basketball, feel free to send them and we will answer them on a the show. Email them to hoopsville@d3sports.com (notice, we fixed our email system with a slightly different email!) or use any of the social media options to the right.

Donate with PayPal button

- Pat McKenzie, No. 2 St. John's men's coach
- Nate Davis, No. 19 Gettysburg women's coach
- Kris Huffman, No. 4 DePauw women's coach
- Jim Bechtel, SUNY Potsdam men's coach.

Please also consider helping us out. We are accepting donations to show - which many of you have asked about. We have an initial goal to hit $5,000 by Feb. 16. We are currently at $2,330.20.

To donate, click our PayPal link here: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=BSRFLPUJQ9MKL&source=url

And thank you for your contributions.

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):

We also have the podcast now on Tune-In and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh