Previous topic - Next topic

ADL70

Well Ann Arbor is more WNW from Alliance
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

formerd3db

No one has commented on this, however, I know you guys have been busy discussing all those other interesting topics as noted in the above several posts.
Anyway, it is that time of year where there are many coaching  changes for assistants, especially right  after the annual national coaching convention in January. Did you see where Tom Arth recently lost three of his assistant coaches at Chattanooga as they took full time assistant positions at Kent State under the new HC Sean Lewis there? I know you guys don't think much of Kent State, however, maybe, just maybe their DIII experience will be able to get that program some improvement/respectability just like the other DIII guys ,especially the OACershave done  at Iowa State and Toledo (Campbell, Candle) and also former 'Bash HC Creighton at Eastern Michigan. Thoughts anyone?
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Desertraider

Quote from: formerd3db on January 20, 2018, 10:59:27 AM
No one has commented on this, however, I know you guys have been busy discussing all those other interesting topics as noted in the above several posts.
Anyway, it is that time of year where there are many coaching  changes for assistants, especially right  after the annual national coaching convention in January. Did you see where Tom Arth recently lost three of his assistant coaches at Chattanooga as they took full time assistant positions at Kent State under the new HC Sean Lewis there? I know you guys don't think much of Kent State, however, maybe, just maybe their DIII experience will be able to get that program some improvement/respectability just like the other DIII guys ,especially the OACershave done  at Iowa State and Toledo (Campbell, Candle) and also former 'Bash HC Creighton at Eastern Michigan. Thoughts anyone?

I saw that he lost his DC to Kent State but didn't see any others had followed. Not sure about what it will do for the improvement at KSU. I guess being more local a lot of us are aware of just how big of a dumpster fire KSU has been and how long its been burning. It may take a few more years than Campbell at ISU to turn it around. Matt had some real talent at ISU that was not being used and found a way to tap that for a jump start. I don't know what KSU has in the cupboard. I mean Bowden took over at Akron and its taken him what 6 years to really do anything.
RIP MUC57 - Go Everybody!
National Champions: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017
The Autumn Wind is a Raider!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzEYK_XjyLg
Immaculate Prevention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZLq_acsVN0

WRMUalum13

I don't think you can lump those guys in with Campbell and candle. LK coaching tree is much different than average d3 coaching experience

formerd3db

I respectfully disagree with you on that in a minor degree. Surely, LK's coaches who played for and later coached under him are great (and, certainly had a great mentor), that is not in question. However, you do those other coaches a disservice (aside form showing your Mount bias, but that is okay and I appreciate that for sure! :)).   Give them a chance before you pronounce "final" judgement. They certainly have done well in their short careers at the DIII level in starting out, including Kaufman at the University of Chicago (as did the former Mount coaches in DIII before they got to FBS). Those guys are still assistants and who knows what will occur in the next few years if/when they perhaps get an opportunity to become head coaches (like Campbell and Candle) if that is their eventual dream/goal. Just MO. :)
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Dr. Acula

Not even close to Campbell/Candle.  Not even the same area code IMO.  Those guys are outliers (as Gladwell would say).  There is a massive difference.  Grinch will be a power 5 HC before Arth, let alone any of his assistants.  Obviously Candle will too if he so chooses.  The more success these guys have at the D1 level the more currency the Mount name has on resumes.  No offense to JCU but the weight the name carries isn't even close.  In fact I'd assert that playing/coaching at Mount may be the only D3 experience viewed positively by D1.  I'm not saying that's right, just saying that's my guess how it's viewed.  D3 battles the "glorified HS" crap on numerous fronts including this one.  Sad but true.  These guys can coach too.  Scholarships don't make you a good coach.

Desertraider

I saw this on one of the UMHB QBs....I think he was the one that got hurt after a play...or maybe the one that got sacked alot....guess it could be that other one too. Spot on analysis - that's my specialty.  ;D

https://www.diehards.com/texas-tech/texas-tech-adds-qb-transfer-mary-hardin-baylor

On the coaching stuff it is more than just the program they came from or their coaching tree. A great deal of it is where they go and the commitment from that University. The KSU stuff is interesting but the guy cam from Syracuse which - well I guess if it was basketball I could see it, but it isn't. Aside from an upset win every now and again what has Syracuse football done to set the coaching world on fire? The DC is going to be limited in terms of overall system wide changes because it isn't his show. So Kaufman may have all those great things that a few of these former D3 guys like Campbell and Candle have but how much input is he going to have on the overall team approach? Grinch did a great job at WSU as DC but he had a great HC and will have another one at OSU. He changed the tone and culture of the D - but wasn't tasked with overhauling the program.
National Champions: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

Quote from: desertraider on January 20, 2018, 09:22:34 PM
I saw this on one of the UMHB QBs....I think he was the one that got hurt after a play...or maybe the one that got sacked alot....guess it could be that other one too. Spot on analysis - that's my specialty.  ;D

https://www.diehards.com/texas-tech/texas-tech-adds-qb-transfer-mary-hardin-baylor

I think he was the player who was injured in the Stagg. The other QB was a true freshman.

EDIT: I was wrong. TJ Jose is the QB/WR who was injured. Kyle Jones is an altogether different QB.

In my memory you don’t see many going from D3 to D1.  Usually the other way right?
National Champions - 13: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017

Desertraider

Quote from: Kira & Jaxon's Dad on January 20, 2018, 09:41:52 PM

I think he was the player who was injured in the Stagg. The other QB was a true freshman.

EDIT: I was wrong. TJ Jose is the QB/WR who was injured. Kyle Jones is an altogether different QB.

In my memory you don't see many going from D3 to D1.  Usually the other way right?

It is normally the other way around. The article said that they had another D3-D1 at Tech who had some success but did not specify who it was or what position. It would make more sense if the kid had been recruited D1 and went D3 for some other reason, then lit it up and decided to make the move. You know the lifetime movie scenario - great HS player, doesn't take the scholarship to stay home and work to help his family who lost both parents so he is raising his 5 siblings...etc. Or the Kurt Warner story. But his numbers and the fact that he was 3rd string is a head scratcher.

Dr. Acula

On the coaching stuff it is more than just the program they came from or their coaching tree. A great deal of it is where they go and the commitment from that University. The KSU stuff is interesting but the guy cam from Syracuse which - well I guess if it was basketball I could see it, but it isn't. Aside from an upset win every now and again what has Syracuse football done to set the coaching world on fire? The DC is going to be limited in terms of overall system wide changes because it isn't his show. So Kaufman may have all those great things that a few of these former D3 guys like Campbell and Candle have but how much input is he going to have on the overall team approach? Grinch did a great job at WSU as DC but he had a great HC and will have another one at OSU. He changed the tone and culture of the D - but wasn't tasked with overhauling the program.

This is a good point.  Campbell and Candle are both benefiting from a good support system.  The UT administration supports football.  ISU has made substantial financial investments in their program as well.  Kent is unquestionably on the other end of that spectrum.  I grew up probably 20 minutes from Kent's campus, my mom is a Kent alum and I can't say I ever heard anyone talk about Kent St. football in anything other than a derisive tone.  Hoops, sure.  Even baseball, yes.  Football?  Never. 

The deck is really stacked against anyone taking that job.  Aside from perennially losing you're also geographically sandwiched between your hated rival 12 miles to the west who wins more games than you AND has exponentially better facilities and YSU 40 minutes to the east...a winning FCS program with tradition, an actual fan base and big names attached to the program.  If you're a kid which would you choose last?

Desertraider

Quote from: Dr. Acula on January 21, 2018, 11:13:12 AM

This is a good point.  Campbell and Candle are both benefiting from a good support system.  The UT administration supports football.  ISU has made substantial financial investments in their program as well.  Kent is unquestionably on the other end of that spectrum.  I grew up probably 20 minutes from Kent's campus, my mom is a Kent alum and I can't say I ever heard anyone talk about Kent St. football in anything other than a derisive tone.  Hoops, sure.  Even baseball, yes.  Football?  Never. 

The deck is really stacked against anyone taking that job.  Aside from perennially losing you're also geographically sandwiched between your hated rival 12 miles to the west who wins more games than you AND has exponentially better facilities and YSU 40 minutes to the east...a winning FCS program with tradition, an actual fan base and big names attached to the program.  If you're a kid which would you choose last?

The location is a great point. Not only does UA have a better program and facilities, and then YSU with a better tradition and the names, but they also have BG and Toledo ( a scant 2 hour drive). If Kent had that base that grew up Kent fans and wanting to wear the Blue and Gold that's one thing - but they don't have that local/regional base. UA and BG may not either but they have the facilities and programs to draw more of those "tweener" athletes. Plus - maybe you have the "athlete" who is not position specific. A guy like Taurice Scott or a Cecil Shorts or the list goes on. You are recruited by Kent and even UA....but you know that Mount has facilities equal (in many regards), history - and get more attention. Just sayin-

hsbsballcoach7

Unfortunately for Mount fans, it seems that Jordan Crawford will now be attending Slippery Rock. Must be getting scholarship $$$$ or just wants to be closer to home.
On to the next. There are some intriguing prospects interested in UMU.

merlecanlas

another Mount alum making moves at the highest level of CFB

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2018/01/reporter_former_ohio_state_oc.html

Anyway, it is that time of year where there are many coaching  changes for assistants, especially right  after the annual national coaching convention in January. Did you see where Tom Arth recently lost three of his assistant coaches at Chattanooga as they took full time assistant positions at Kent State under the new HC Sean Lewis there?

Maybe Arth could find a few superstar FCS coordinators who have a "character issue" and recruit them to drop down a level.  Worked out pretty good for him before.  Would UT-Chattanooga look the other way as his previous employer?  Interesting.

WRMUalum13

Quote from: hsbsballcoach7 on January 21, 2018, 12:02:54 PM
Unfortunately for Mount fans, it seems that Jordan Crawford will now be attending Slippery Rock. Must be getting scholarship $$$$ or just wants to be closer to home.
On to the next. There are some intriguing prospects interested in UMU.

Bummer, I said I was surprised he didn't have offers from Duquesne or RMU, makes sense for Slippery Rock to go after him. Honestly, with Petro only a sophomore and JEM a senior, could have been a playing time issue, maybe Crawford starts next year at SRU, probably wasn't happening at Mount

WRMUalum13

Quote from: archgemini24 on January 18, 2018, 09:07:08 AM
Quote from: HScoach on January 17, 2018, 09:45:42 PM
It's the exception to the rule, but if I remember right Greg Micheli turned down a D1 scholarship as a safety to play QB at Mount.  But then again he was a presidential academic scholar and therefore $ wasn't a issue.

First, Greetings and Salutations, all. Long time Reader, First Time Poster! Hope everyone enjoyed the holiday season and, for the Raider faithful, No. 13.

As for this post, I am surprised Mount does not find more players who may have options at one position, but would like to continue their careers at a preferred position.

My recency bias immediately went to Taurice Scott, who could have gotten at least a partial to play WR elsewhere, but chose Mount to continue trying his hand at QB. He could not get from under Burke, but he had a great Senior year at QB, and there did not look to be a defense in D3 that could handle him as threat to run or pass every down.

Also a big difference between having the talent deserving of offers and actually getting those offers. Recruiting is an imperfect process and guys slip through the cracks all the time