MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by sac, February 19, 2005, 11:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldknight

Quote from: TUAngola on November 11, 2016, 02:49:21 PM
Quote from: HOPEful on November 11, 2016, 12:53:02 PM
Quote from: KnightSlappy on November 11, 2016, 11:44:11 AM
Quote from: HOPEful on November 11, 2016, 08:49:21 AM
2. Trine - I think right now I trust Dixon, Dodson, and Cummings more than Gernaat, Fairchild, and Gamble. Alma's probably the deeper team, but Will Dixon is too good and I've watched him torch too many defenses for too many years now...
Will Dixon shot the ball 15 times per game last year. I'd like to see him try to get that above 20 this year.
I think you can expect as much without Holmquist...
I think 2nd or 3rd is a little high for Trine in the conference this year, although we do have 2 guys that can really fill it up in Dixon and Dodson.  However, only 4 guys return who saw significant action last year, in addition to Dixon and Dodson you have Kreglow who will most likely start at the point and Cummings at center.  The bench this year is filled with either guys who only saw mop up duty last year or newcomers.  This will be the least experienced team at Trine in some time.  I am hoping Ciszewski can help, he played some early, but once MIAA play started he was buried on the bench.  Copeland, the transfer from Siena Heights, has to help immediately.  Dishop has the size we need but was injured most of last year.  A couple of the freshmen are going to have to jump in and help out from the get go. Coach Miller never plays a ton of guys.  I think pre-MIAA will be a learning curve of who can help us out this year and who can't.  By the time conference play begins you know Coach will be probably be down to an 8 guy rotation at best. 

It will be weird not having Jared on the floor this year after watching him develop over the past 4 years, guys like him come along very infrequently.  It is a HUGE void to fill.  Trine gets going next Tuesday night at Hershey Hall against Defiance who is the defending HCAC conference champions.  It will be interesting to see how the team adapts to not having the big guy on the court anymore.

Wisely cautious words. I agree Holmquist was a truly special player, one whose impact on his team is hard to measure, but certainly large. I did watch him play both games in the conference tournament against Hope and Alma, in part to see if he was as good against those teams at De Vos as he was against Calvin. I wasn't disappointed. Jared was every bit as good as when I observed his play at VNA. The guy's a true warrior, both talented and gritty, who just doesn't stop coming at you, but always a gentlemen who never whined about missed calls. Part of me will miss seeing him play against Calvin this year. A larger part of me won't.

sac

Detroit 99  Adrian 69   http://www.detroittitans.com/boxscore.aspx?path=mbball&id=3714

Bulldogs played them tough in the first half, led by 5 late in the half and trailed by 1 at the break 39-38.  Titans blew them off the floor the 2nd half.

Last exhibition Saturday afternoon when Calvin hosts Lawrence Tech at 3pm

oldknight

After a lackluster first half whose hallmark was a stale and stagnant offense, Calvin really turned on the jets the second frame with 54 points to cruise to an 84-63 victory over NAIA Laurence Tech. While the opening 20 minutes made Calvin look like a team in need of an exhibition game, the second half saw much improved ball movement by the Knights who featured balanced scoring led by Wilks with 17, Drews 14, newcomer Bykerk 12 and Denney 10. Wilks in particular impressed me by combining his feathery smooth jump shot with some nice back-to-the basket scoring. Michael is the type of player who doesn't look to be that much of a threat, but is a real threat, and just keeps getting better. Nate Drews offered some scoring punch off the bench from the backcourt, something this team sorely needs. Drews isn't a big threat to beat you off the dribble but if an opponent gives him even a small opening, he's a terrifically consistent shooter of the rock, always square to the basket. The Knights committed far too many turnover (18) but competed well on the boards. The visitors from Southfield were every bit as big or bigger than the home team but Calvin won the rebounding battle 42-26. Other game notes:

--Wilks has definitely (and finally) bulked up. He's long been rail thin but now looks to have added at least 10 pounds, appearing toned and more muscular, making him tougher to move out of the post. I wouldn't be surprised if he leads Calvin in scoring this season.

--After struggling the first half, Bykerk played a very nice second 20 minutes going 4-8 from the floor, 2-2 from the stripe and showing off the quick hops he sported in high school, by dunking effortlessly from an awkward and surprising spot on the floor. It was the first of what I hope and expect will be many more at VNA. He has the potential to be a crowd pleaser, particularly during a Rivalry game.

--Michael Welch went 1-2 from the arc this afternoon :o, thereby doubling his career total of triples. 8-)

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Believe it not, the 2016-17 basketball season is just days away. But the season can't start without Hoopsville hitting the air!

Tune in tonight starting at 7pm as Dave talks to the two preseason numbers one teams, finds out how the offseason went for the two defending national championships, and touches bases with the men's and women's basketball committee chairs.

Guests include:
- Kevin Vande Streek, men's basketball committee chair and head coach for Calvin
- Bobbi Morgan, women's basketball committee chair and head coach for Haverford
- John Tauer, head coach for No. 10 St. Thomas men
- Dave Hixon, head coach for No. 1 Amherst men
- Jeff Hans, head coach for No. 4 Thomas More women
- Carla Berube, head coach for No. 1 Tufts women

You can watch the show here: http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2016-17/nov13

You can also tune into the podcast(s) after the show has aired:
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/hoopsville/id1059517087

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

sac

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on November 13, 2016, 04:38:40 PM
Believe it not, the 2016-17 basketball season is just days away. But the season can't start without Hoopsville hitting the air!

Tune in tonight starting at 7pm as Dave talks to the two preseason numbers one teams, finds out how the offseason went for the two defending national championships, and touches bases with the men's and women's basketball committee chairs.

Guests include:
- Kevin Vande Streek, men's basketball committee chair and head coach for Calvin
- Bobbi Morgan, women's basketball committee chair and head coach for Haverford
- John Tauer, head coach for No. 10 St. Thomas men
- Dave Hixon, head coach for No. 1 Amherst men
- Jeff Hans, head coach for No. 4 Thomas More women
- Carla Berube, head coach for No. 1 Tufts women

You can watch the show here: http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2016-17/nov13

You can also tune into the podcast(s) after the show has aired:
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/hoopsville/id1059517087

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville

Kevin VandeStreek speaks beginning at roughly 22 minutes

GreatScot!?

Link for the live stream of tonights game for the Scots vs. ONU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgkJDQUKw-8

Should be a good challenge for the Scots, who I believe own the current 2nd longest home win streak at the D3 level.

TUAngola

Heading to Hershey Hall tonight to watch the '16-'17 edition of Trine MBB against Defiance.  Will get a report back here tonight after the game with the good, bad, and ugly (hopefully not too much ugly  ;))  No Holmquist :'(.

TUAngola

Quote from: TUAngola on November 15, 2016, 05:42:23 PM
Heading to Hershey Hall tonight to watch the '16-'17 edition of Trine MBB against Defiance.  Will get a report back here tonight after the game with the good, bad, and ugly (hopefully not too much ugly  ;))  No Holmquist :'(.
Final: Trine 68 Defiance 62

Good effort for the Thunder beating a very athletic Defiance team.  By no means was it a pretty game.  Lots of rust.  Our perimeter shooting was stinky, I think we hit 1 3pt shot in the first half and maybe 2 in the second.  Defensively Trine played well at times with good rotations, but other times we'd get caught in the screen and roll for uncontested layups.  Defensive rebounding wasn't great other than Cummings.  Defiance had one possession in the 2nd half where they got at least 4 offensive rebounds. 

Individually I pretty much knew that Kreglow, Dixon, Dodson and Cummings would start.  The 5th starter was freshman Kamron Herrington.  He's gonna be a good one, he is sort of a Kyle Dodson clone, 6'3, great basketball IQ, but needs to get used to the college game.  Speaking of Dodson you can tell he put some time in the weight room, not as rail thin as he was last year.  He won't just be a 3pt bomber this year.  He can be physical inside.  Kreglow was disappointing tonight but he'll get better, had an off shooting night, but he brings an offensive presence that Syroka didn't have last year.

Dixon was Dixon, steady, not a great shooting night, but in crunch time the ball was in his hands to either create his own shot or get an open look for others.  The bench was ok.  Copeland had some nice finishes at the rim, will be an offensive option off the bench and gives us some much needed size down low.  Freshman Langston Johnson had some nice minutes, no points but he'll be another good one.  Daub and Dishop played sparingly, wish Dishop would have gotten more minutes, but because....

...the player of the game, Ellis Cummings, was playing so well, Dishop wasn't needed to spell Cummings or Copeland as they stayed out of foul trouble.  Offensively Cummings has improved by leaps and bounds.  Remember, this is only his 4th year of playing basketball, only played as a senior in high school.  He is a great rebounder and rim protector.  Defiance really didn't have anyone his size to check him.  It's only the first game of his junior season, but you can tell he's put in the work and understands the game so much better.

Got the St Andrews Classic this weekend with Kenyon and Ohio Wesleyan coming to Angola, along with Albion.  Good start for the Thunder, ugly win, but it's a win. 

GreatScot!?

After a disappointing 1st half the Scots outscored the Polar Bears by 19 to get the win 80-72. Pretty even scoring from the Scots with 5 guys scoring over 9 points. Gernaat paced the team with 19 points and my guess is that he'll be a consistent leader in that category. Love the energy in the 2nd half on both sides of the ball and especially loved the Scots pushing the pace more. Box scores may look a little different for the Scots this year as they lack the shooting of both Beckman's and Bradfield, thus needing their players to try to contribute in other ways. Fairchild shot 3-4 from the arc while the rest of the team shot 3-14 and it you take Gernaat from this too, they shot 1-10. I think this number will go up due to the law of averages and think the assists (9) will go up as well. The Scots may have found a spark plug in Lamoreux of the bench, scoring 13 points and making things happen while he was out on the floor. The Scots will face Auggie Friday night, which will be another great early challenge!

KnightSlappy

The third score of the night was Capital 83, Olivet 43. The Comets shot 26% and were out-rebounded 49-27. Their offensive efficiency rating for the game was about 64.

HOPEful

Quote from: GreatScot!? on November 15, 2016, 10:49:34 PM
The Scots will face Auggie Friday night, which will be another great early challenge!
Uh oh, don't let Mr. Sager see you spell Augie with two g's!  ;D
Let's go Dutchmen!

2015-2016 1-&-Done Tournament Fantasy League Co-Champion

GreatScot!?

Quote from: HOPEful on November 16, 2016, 08:05:03 AM
Quote from: GreatScot!? on November 15, 2016, 10:49:34 PM
The Scots will face Auggie Friday night, which will be another great early challenge!
Uh oh, don't let Mr. Sager see you spell Augie with two g's!  ;D
*Augie!!! haha

Gregory Sager

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

sac

A couple observations from Alma

Game observations
1.  Ohio Northern had a stretch late in the first half where everything they put up went in and that accounted for the 11 point halftime lead.  Didn't feel real
2.  Alma went with just 6 guys in the 2nd half, Luke Lamoreaux was a nice spark plug off the bench, a very Jason Beckman like performance.
3.  I felt like ONU got lazy in the 2nd half, quit moving their feet and Alma started running circles around them being more aggressive to the hoop.
4.  Evidenced by ONU having an incredible 5 foul defensive trip, and racking up 19 2nd half fouls
5.  Disaster struck for ONU when 6-7 F Aron Thress picked up fouls 2 and 3 early'ish in the 2nd half, then number 4 shortly after re-entering around 9 min.
6.  Thress and 6-8 C Ryan Bruns combined for 19 first half points, but only 4 in the 2nd half
7.  With little inside game, ONU settled almost exclusively for jumpshots in the 2nd half
8.  Alma really dominated the 2nd half

Alma observations
1.  At least on this night Alma looked like a much better rebounding team
2.  Ryan Stevens is a very capable replacement for Nikodemski, looks very much like many past Hope, Calvin, Wheaton guards.  Tall and long.
3.  Tyler Edwards looked first team All-MIAA at times
4.  Gernaat is first team All-MIAA, if we need an MVP candidate from Alma he's the one.
5.  At some point in the future we will hear rumors of an incredible dunk by the 5-9 Luke Lamoreaux
6.  Zones are communist ;)

Alma might stub their toe a couple times before the league schedule rolls around but I expect they'll be a very good team once the league season kicks in.  Stevens and Lamoreaux are legit good Freshmen, they'll make mistakes as they go but they'll be fine there.

Gregory Sager

They just honored last year's Alma team at Smith Arena prior to the tipoff of tonight's Augustana @ Alma contest, and when Jason Beckman was introduced in absentia there were scattered boos from the crowd.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell