MBB: NESCAC

Started by cameltime, April 27, 2005, 02:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nescac1

QuoteThe best comparison I can think of for Duncan is James Jones, someone who carved out a 14 NBA career on his shooting ability and a close friendship with LeBron.

Perhaps now is the time for Duncan to begin working on his fluency in conversational Greek ...

Seriously, D3HforLyfe, thanks for sharing your perspective and I hope your optimism proves prescient!  We are all certainly rooting hard for Duncan. 

Colby Hoops

Rooting for Duncan as much as anybody else, but the odds are definitely against him. I can't imagine there are many (any?) NBA players who averaged less than 10 points per game as a senior. Even a guy like James Jones averaged 17 and 6, and, it's not like Duncan is going to make a team based on defense or rebounding.

AndOne

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on March 18, 2018, 05:41:01 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 18, 2018, 03:00:05 PM
Quote from: ContinentalDomer on March 18, 2018, 02:19:17 PM
When did Nebraska Wesleyan move from then NAIA to D3 in men's basketball?  It appears that some of their athletic teams were NAIA and some may have been D3 through 2015-16.  Just curious as to whether or not any of the players on this year's b-ball title team were once scholarship players.

None of them were scholarship players. D3 bylaws stipulate that a school cannot join D3 and use players to whom it had once given athletic scholarships. That's one of the reasons why there is a four-year provisional period before a school attains full D3 membership; it allows the school to purge itself of student-athletes whom it had agreed to give athletic scholarships.

But that had nothing to do with Nebraska Wesleyan, because Nebraska Wesleyan never gave athletic scholarships in the first place. NWU had been a dual member of NCAA-D3 and NAIA from D3's inception in 1973 until two years ago, when it dropped NAIA membership. As a dual member, NWU had to declare the previous May what affiliation it would take on for postseason purposes the following school year, D3 or NAIA. Nebraska Wesleyan, which has always felt itself more philosophically aligned with D3, typically declared for D3 -- which is why it had appeared in 14 previous D3 tourneys prior to this season. In fact, NWU made the Final Four on four previous occasions, finishing third in 1985, 1986, and 1988, and second in 1997. It did file as NAIA for certain sports, however; in those instances, Nebraska Wesleyan's teams were among that minority of NAIA teams that represented schools that did not give out athletic scholarships.

NWU's problem vis-a-vis D3 has always been that it exists on a D3 island; it is very geographically isolated, as the nearest D3 neighbor, Buena Vista, is a three-hour drive, and there are only two other D3 campuses within four hours' drive, Simpson and Central. It continues to be a problem even today; traveling to IIAC games is a haul for every Prairie Wolves team, and scheduling D3 non-conference games presents a series of hurdles for the NWU head coach in each sport.

Therefore, NWU was a member of an NAIA league for decades, first the Nebraska Intercollegiate Athletic Conference, and then the NIAC's successor league, the Great Plains Athletic Conference. Nebraska Wesleyan was the only D3 member of those leagues, and, thus, the only member that did not offer athletic scholarships. That, plus the fact that D3 schools are restricted to shorter seasons than NAIA schools in just about every sport, put NWU at a competitive disadvantage. Interestingly enough, though, NWU often did pretty well in various sports in the NIAC/GPAC, men's basketball being a noteworthy example.

Because it is so hard for NWU to schedule non-conference games against D3 opponents, and because the school played most of its games within an NAIA league, the school had to annually petition the NCAA for an exemption to D3's rule that half of a team's games must be played against D3 opponents. That was an additional headache with which NWU had to deal. Small wonder that, when the IIAC offered a spot in the league to NWU, the school jumped at the chance and exited the GPAC, dropping the dual NAIA/NCAA affiliation as well in the process.

Bottom line, Nebraska Wesleyan had no basketball players on scholarship who are no longer getting scholarships, because Nebraska Wesleyan has never given out athletic scholarships.

I was impressed at just how committed the NWU people were to d3 this weekend. I got to talk to Cooper Cook's father Kevin, who played on two NWU final four teams in the 80's and is now a trustee at the school.  He said he's always felt much more connected to d3, even as the school was playing in an NAIA conference.  In fact, he suggested that the move to the IIAC was largely due to the increasing size of the Great Plains conference - with less and less non-conference games available, they just weren't able to keep connected to d3.

Nebraska Wesleyan has always been a committed d3 school and it's good to see that they're connected more closely now.

With the NESCAC historically ranking high academically as well as athletically, conference fans might appreciate the following story about NWU's Cooper Cook who was named the CoSIDA Academic All-American of the Year in NCAA Division III Men's Basketball. The article also mentions Cooper's dad, Kevin, also a CoSIDA Academic All-American.

Cook is Nebraska Wesleyan's 170th CoSIDA Academic All-American. This ranks NWU 8th among all NCAA institutions, and 4th among Division III schools.

http://nwusports.com/news/2018/3/14/mens-basketball-cook-is-cosida-academic-all-american-of-the-year-in-ncaa-iii-basketball.aspx?path=mbball

P'bearfan

Quote from: PolarBear16 on April 06, 2018, 12:10:10 PM
Man, I love the Duncan Robinson and am rooting for him, but I think it will be tough for him to make it to the NBA. Duncan can't be an above average like he has been the past two years at Michigan. He needs to be one of the best shooters in the world, capable of punishing teams from well beyond the arc with little space. Basically, he needs to do what he did against Bowdoin his freshman year when he made some shots from so deep that I thought my live stream had glitched. And most likely he will need to develop the ability to hit threes on the run, coming off of screens at least enough to be a threat. I didn't watch a ton of Michigan games, but boy did Duncan spend a lot of time just standing in the corner acting as a decoy.

The best comparison I can think of for Duncan is James Jones, someone who carved out a 14 NBA career on his shooting ability and a close friendship with LeBron. Jones was also 6'8" and not very athletic, but he was always a good enough defender and a guy who didn't have any real negatives to his game. Jones was a good enough pure shooter that he won the 3 point contest one year. That's how good of a shooter Duncan will have to be. Right now, even though there is the rhetoric of him being that good, the stats don't bear it out. 38% from three in college is a good number, but it's nothing spectacular.

The good news for Duncan is that it is now easier than ever to make your way onto an NBA roster and get a shot than ever. The two way contract the NBA now uses makes it easier for them to give roster spots to players in the G-League (NBA development league). Or guys who play in Europe get a good long look when they come back and play in summer league. Plus, wings are a constant need for NBA teams now that they are playing usually only one traditional big man at a time (if that). So if he continues to improve and becomes a deadly shooter as well as getting a lucky break or two, he can do it.

Ouch....just when I had thought those memories were buried and long forgotten.

nescac1

Nice article on future Eph Spencer Spivy, who was just named San Francisco player of the year.  With Williams graduating four guards, three of whom were at least part-time starters for the last three years, there is a huge opportunity (and need) for untested returners as well as new players to step up in the backcourt alongside stalwart Bobby Casey.  Hopefully Spivy can be in the mix early in his career.  His high school stats (20/9/5, over 60 percent from 2, 40 percent from 3, and 80 percent from the line) are certainly impressive, and he has great size for a ball-handling guard (6'5). 

https://www.pressreader.com/usa/san-francisco-chronicle-late-edition/20180408/281990378095362

nescac1

Given that it's gonna be a bit slow for the next few months, thought I would compile the full list of incoming NESCAC recruits that I've been able to dig up from this board, NERR, or elsewhere.  Obviously, lots of guys are missing from this list!

Amherst: Devonn Allen, PG, Wilbraham & Monson; Will Phelan, Wing, St. Sebastians; Michael Schretter, C, Ridgewood (NJ)

Bates: Cole Phaire, SG, Dunbar H.S. (D.C.); Kehine Aruwajoye, C, Avon Old Farms; Andrew Snoddy, F, Rivers School

Bowdoin: Caleb Cost, SG, Willison Northampton

Colby: Noah Tyson, Wing, Rutland (VT); Walter Lum, PG, Lick-Wilmerding (CA); Sam Onche, F, Contra Costa Christian (CA)

Conn: Matt Carlin, F, Worcester Academy

Hamilton: ??

Middlebury: Alex Sobel, C, Melville (NY); (plus a guard from Westchester who I can't dig up at the moment)

Trinity: Max Brigham, F, Westminster; Jared Whitt, C, South Kent School

Tufts: Tyler Aronson, G, Rivers School; Carson Cohen, PG, Fox Chappell (PA)

Wesleyan: Shackylle Dezonie, Wing, Hudson Catholic (NJ); Sam Peek, Wing, Trinity Pauling (NY)

Williams: Jovan Jones, W, Belmont Hill; Ryan Moon, PG, Bishop McGuiness (NC); Spencer Spivy, SG, University (CA); Tyler Spiezio, F, Morris (football recruit / possible walk-on)

This is always a bit of a wild guess, but of these guys, the ones with the mix of talent and opportunity to make an instant impact look to me to be Phelan at Amherst (all-NEPSAC wing playing a position where Amherst loses two top-notch players); Aruwajoye at Bates (big man with upside at a school that desparately needs size); Lum (plucky, athletic undersized PG in the recent Colby mold); Sobel (looks polished for his age and Midd definitely needs a big guy who can help out off the bench early); Aronson (should have a chance to play a lot early for a Tufts team decimated on the perimeter by graduation); and Jones/Spivy (two acclaimed perimeter guys, and the Ephs have wide-open hole at a few guard spots). 

Sleepers in the longer run include Whitt at Trinity (6'9 and from an elite H.S. program, was hurt his entire senior year) and Dezonie for Wesleyan (another guy who played a smaller role at an elite program but looks like yet another strong, athletic wing for the Cards). 

Colby Hoops

Nescac1, I think you also previously noted 6'5 forward Sam Onche (another Bay Area Warrior with Lum) as a Colby commit. Looks like an athletic if undersized 4-man, something Colby definitely needs.

nescac1

Thanks Colby Hoops, that's right!  I will add him (as well as any others reported who I forgot) to the list.  Seems like three straight solid recruiting years for Coach Strahorn.  If Dean Weiner can stay healthy and avoid foul trouble (Colby really needs his presence in the middle) the Mules may be a suprise team next eason.  A lot of young guys on the perimeter ready to come into their own.  Mules had a lot of close losses to very good teams last year and with basically everyone back some of those should turn to Ws. 

magicman

nescac1,

Always good to read all the posts you do during the season and afterwards. Love to see all the info on recruits that you come up with, especially those for Middlebury.  Plus K. 

amh63

There is an interesting Williams PG recruit from NC.  The recruit is from the same high school that an Amherst assist. Coach...Aaron Toomey...attended.  Am sure that Coach Toomey was aware of the PG recruit.  So long ago, Aaron played the same position in HS and at Amherst.

Old Guy

Quote from: nescac1 on April 13, 2018, 10:03:17 AM
Given that it's gonna be a bit slow for the next few months, thought I would compile the full list of incoming NESCAC recruits that I've been able to dig up from this board, NERR, or elsewhere.  Obviously, lots of guys are missing from this list!

Amherst: Devonn Allen, PG, Wilbraham & Monson; Will Phelan, Wing, St. Sebastians; Michael Schretter, C, Ridgewood (NJ)

Bates: Cole Phaire, SG, Dunbar H.S. (D.C.); Kehine Aruwajoye, C, Avon Old Farms; Andrew Snoddy, F, Rivers School

Colby: Noah Tyson, Wing, Rutland (VT); Walter Lum, PG, Lick-Wilmerding (CA); Sam Onche, F, Contra Costa Christian (CA)

Middlebury: Alex Sobel, C, Melville (NY); (plus a guard from Westchester who I can't dig up at the moment)

Wesleyan: Shackylle Dezonie, Wing, Hudson Catholic (NJ); Sam Peek, Wing, Trinity Pauling (NY)

Williams: Jovan Jones, W, Belmont Hill; Ryan Moon, PG, Bishop McGuiness (NC); Spencer Spivy, SG, University (CA); Tyler Spiezio, F, Morris (football recruit / possible walk-on)

This is always a bit of a wild guess, but of these guys, the ones with the mix of talent and opportunity to make an instant impact look to me to be Phelan at Amherst (all-NEPSAC wing playing a position where Amherst loses two top-notch players); Aruwajoye at Bates (big man with upside at a school that desparately needs size); Lum (plucky, athletic undersized PG in the recent Colby mold); Sobel (looks polished for his age and Midd definitely needs a big guy who can help out off the bench early); Aronson (should have a chance to play a lot early for a Tufts team decimated on the perimeter by graduation); and Jones/Spivy (two acclaimed perimeter guys, and the Ephs have wide-open hole at a few guard spots). 

Sleepers in the longer run include Whitt at Trinity (6'9 and from an elite H.S. program, was hurt his entire senior year) and Dezonie for Wesleyan (another guy who played a smaller role at an elite program but looks like yet another strong, athletic wing for the Cards).

When I read of the recruits coming in, after I see what the Ephs and the Mammoths have arriving year after year, I'm always glad hoop is a 5 on 5 game and not 10 on 10, as it's apparent their second string (and probably their cuts) could compete very well in the league.

Young guy and I splurged and went to San Antonio for the Final Four: here's an account — http://www.addisonindependent.com/201804karl-lindholm-san-antonio-and-all-hoopla

nyhoopstalk

Sam Peek at Wesleyan can be a real stud for them.

nescac1

Old Guy, Midd hasn't exactly been bringing in a bunch of nobodies ... last year's group of frosh sure looked very impressive early in their careers!  I'd say Williams' rising senior class is ridiculously loaded, and the incoming frosh class sure looks very promising, although that is always speculative.  In my view, the rising juniors will be key to the team's success over the next two years, that group showed a lot of promise this year, but was very inconsistent in its contributions, and those guys will all need to improve dramatically over the next two years as they step into bigger and bigger roles. 

Of course, the Ephs have certainly had some leaner years, as well.  For example, this year's frosh class included only three guys, none of whom have yet to see any meaningful action, so the jury is very much still out.   Two of Maker's last three recruiting classes did not feature any all-league caliber players.   And while Amherst's young guns look really good, there doesn't seem to be a major star in the Amherst upperclassmen ranks next year, barring a big leap forward by someone like Schneider or Cherry (which is certainly possible based on their athletic ability). 

Interesting tip re: Sam Peek.  He seems to be a VERY late grower which can be a recipe for surprise stardom in NESCAC (see, e.g., Fletcher Walters and James Heskett). 

grabtherim

Scarsdale, NY Guard Nash Goldman.  Same HS as Midd Freshman Bosco. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=97&v=pITKUEV4qN8

nescac1

Thanks, GTR.  I've updated this with Goldman and one addition each for Wesleyan and Trinity.  I note that the Bants are bringing in two 6'9 dudes, not sure what either can do right away, but that is a lot of size.  And Tivy's senior stats sure are impressive: 20 ppg, 15 rpb, 6 apg, 3 bpg, and 1 spg!  (I imagine against not-stellar competition, but still ...):

http://dailytimes.com/promotions/article_9a05ddee-3e07-11e8-82d6-9be64112231f.html

2018 NESCAC Recruits

Middlebury: Alex Sobel, C, Melville (NY); Nash Goldman, G, Scarsdale (NY)

Trinity: Max Brigham, F, Westminster; Jared Whitt, C, South Kent School; Mason Roberts, C, Tivy (TX)

Wesleyan: Shackylle Dezonie, Wing, Hudson Catholic (NJ); Sam Peek, Wing, Trinity Pauling (NY); Jens Ulrich-Verderber, F, BFA St. Albans (VT)

Williams: Jovan Jones, Wing, Belmont Hill; Ryan Moon, PG, Bishop McGuiness (NC); Spencer Spivy, SG, University (CA); Tyler Spiezio, F, Morris (IL) (football recruit / possible walk-on)