New rules

Started by JACKET84, October 28, 2008, 03:16:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JACKET84

Any changes in the rules this year? I believe the 3 point line distance is changing.  Is it just for men, or both?

Elmhurst62

Now we have two 3 pt. lines, which so far have had little effect on the men, but what has happened is that the women have subconsciously adapted to the men's line.  Bad change.  Second rule change has to do with Technical fouls.  The misconduct T counts for 3 "bad points" whereas a rule violation T (like calling TO when you don't have any left) is 2 "bad points".  Six "bad points" and you're out.  This year any ball pinned on the board is considered on the way down -- hence goal tending.  Other rules have to do with when the horn sounds after a player fouls out, area that teams must stay in, and some other minor stuff.

Ralph Turner

ScotsFan

Just a question regarding rules changes.  I had heard the other night watching the Louisville/Butler game that there was a new rule regarding possession after a technical.  They said that it is not automatic two shots and possession anymore and that the only way you get possession after the two ft's is if your team was in possession of the ball when the technical was called.  Is this rule across the boards in all divisions?  I was at the Wooster game last night and there was a technical called on their opponent but I'm pretty sure Wooster had possession when the technical was called so they got the ball after the ft's.

altor

I don't know how "new" it is.  It's not a rule change for the 2010 season, but I don't recall when it was changed.

In most cases, resumption of play in the NCAA after the free throws for a technical foul goes to what they call "point of interrruption."  That is, if the ball was live, the team with control gets a throw-in at the designated spot nearest the ball when the stoppage occurred.  If they were about to shoot free-throws for a personal foul, they shoot free throws.  If there was no team possession at the time of interruption, you use the alternating possession arrow.

As always, there are exceptions to this.  "Single flagrant" and "single contact dead ball" technical fouls award a throw-in to the offended team at midcourt for men.  For women, a technical foul for an "excessive timeout" awards the throw-in to the offended team at the designated spot nearest the ball at the point of interruption.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Should we try and rekindle this topic? Why not when there could be some MAJOR changes coming.

Here are my thoughts on the NCAA men's and women's basketball committee rule change proposals: http://www.d3blogs.com/d3hoops/?p=2665

You can find more about the men's changes here: http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/men-s-basketball-rules-committee-recommends-package-proposals-improve-game
More on the women's changes here: http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/rules-committee-recommends-moving-women-s-basketball-games-four-quarter-format
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Who knows if anyone is reading this thread, but I will keep it updated... rules changes adopted - nearly all of them unfortunetly:

Men - highlights include 30-second shot clock, 4-foot restricted arc under basket (though, that won't appear until '16-'17 season in DIII), and 10 seconds total to advance ball over midcourt (some exceptions): http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2015-06-08/ncaa-changes-shot-clock-30-seconds-makes-other-changes-game
Women - highlights include four 10-minute quarters, team fouls to 5 before double-bonus shots (resetting every quarter), timeout changes, media timeout changes, advancing the ball past midcourt in final minute of game: http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-women/article/2015-06-08/ncaa-womens-basketball-adopts-new-rules-including-four-10
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

NEPAFAN

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on June 11, 2015, 11:58:37 AM
Who knows if anyone is reading this thread, but I will keep it updated... rules changes adopted - nearly all of them unfortunetly:

Men - highlights include 30-second shot clock, 4-foot restricted arc under basket (though, that won't appear until '16-'17 season in DIII), and 10 seconds total to advance ball over midcourt (some exceptions): http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2015-06-08/ncaa-changes-shot-clock-30-seconds-makes-other-changes-game
Women - highlights include four 10-minute quarters, team fouls to 5 before double-bonus shots (resetting every quarter), timeout changes, media timeout changes, advancing the ball past midcourt in final minute of game: http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-women/article/2015-06-08/ncaa-womens-basketball-adopts-new-rules-including-four-10

Allowing a total of only 10 seconds to advance the ball to the front court (with a few exceptions).

This is new?
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Yes... if a team called timeout, the ball went out of bounds, etc., etc., etc. the count reset. Now it won't reset except for a few occasions like the defense knocks it out or there is a technical foul. So imagine a team is struggling to get it into the front court, they have to decide to waste a timeout (say in the first half) or save the timeout and risk it. Then on top of that, when they come out of the timeout, they have whatever time is still remaining in the count - say two seconds - to still get it across midcourt. This is a big change and one I am completely in favor.

ronk

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on June 12, 2015, 11:16:17 AM
Yes... if a team called timeout, the ball went out of bounds, etc., etc., etc. the count reset. Now it won't reset except for a few occasions like the defense knocks it out or there is a technical foul. So imagine a team is struggling to get it into the front court, they have to decide to waste a timeout (say in the first half) or save the timeout and risk it. Then on top of that, when they come out of the timeout, they have whatever time is still remaining in the count - say two seconds - to still get it across midcourt. This is a big change and one I am completely in favor.

The way it reads is that it does reset except for those 3 conditions-the opposite of how you state it.
I would have liked the continuation of the single bonus, maybe for the 1st 2 fouls over the limit and then go to the double bonus.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I see what you mean by the ten-second count reset. I need to research that with others since that will allow the count to still be reset for a timeout - and no one I have spoken with is under that impression. I will update when I get the chance.

And as far as foul shots - I like not continuing the 1-and-1... because now fouling costs you more - two shots. There isn't a ramp up from 5 to 7 (let's say) allowing ticky-tack fouls or an urge to foul just to get the ball back to now cost you more than maybe no points. Two shots can still cost you a point even if you miss the first free-throw. (By the way, it also keeps substitutions easy to figure out - before with the 1-and-1 there could be a substitution before the first shot AND the second shot - time wasting away while it happened.) Better be smart when playing defense.

John Gleich

How will the 10 second (non-reset on ball out of bounds) be calculated? Still in the ref's head? Or will there be a "10 second clock" along with a 30 second clock?

Or, if the shot clock gets to 20 before the ball crosses, then it's a violation?

And in terms of a reset... if it's following the shot clock, then items that would reset the shot clock would likely reset the 10 second clock too (ie foul on the defense).
UWSP Men's Basketball

National Champions: 2015, 2010, 2005, 2004

NCAA appearances: 2018, '15, '14, '13, '12, '11, '10, '09, '08, '07, '05, '04, '03, '00, 1997

WIAC/WSUC Champs: 2015, '14, '13, '11, '09, '07, '05, '03, '02, '01, '00, 1993, '92, '87, '86, '85, '84, '83, '82, '69, '61, '57, '48, '42, '37, '36, '35, '33, '18

Twitter: @JohnGleich

Just Bill

The shot clock will determine the 10-second count in virtually all situations. That's not new, it's been that way for quite few years. In cases where the 10-second count resets, they will still use the shot clock. They'll just recalculate the 10 seconds from where the shot clock stands.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

amh63

A little out of my depth here.....but....some input on rule changes.
First, heard from my best friend who follows UConn women BB.  States that in the near future in an pre season exhibition gAme, the Huskies will play a game with many new rules applications...including some future ones! Like wider lanes and men size BBalls.  seems Gino is behind many of the possible changes...future, etc.
Briefly asked the Amherst HC Hixon several weeks ago what he thinks the impact of any new rules on the men's game.  He thought that there will be little impact.  Realize that the men's team had a trip to Italy this past summer where thet the team played several club teams...assumed they played pro/European rules.