MBB: University Athletic Association

Started by Allen M. Karon, February 21, 2005, 08:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WUPHF

OK, maybe I get no where near Cleveland or Pittsburg, but still...

I might start referring to the Carnegie Mellon teams as the Kilts or the Highlanders or something.  It makes just as much sense as the Tartans.

hopefan

uhhhh   WUPIFFFFF   the home of the Buccos, the Steelers, the Penguins, the Panthers, the Dukes, AND the Tartans.. is spelled PITTSBURGH

(Pittsburg is the home of the D2 Gorillas...

;) ;) ;)
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

WUPHF

If I had a dollar for every time...ah, nevermind.

WUPHF

The Director's Cup is over as far as the UAA is concerned and hard charging Emory could not close the gap on Washington University.

Washington University is currently in 3rd while Emory is in 5th.

https://nacda.com/news/2019/5/30/directorscup-ncaa-division-iii-learfield-img-college-directors-cup-standings.aspx

nyhoopstalk

What is going on over at NYU? For such a highly regarded school, you would think they would be competing for the best of the best recruits in Division 3. Why so much turnover on the roster?

WUPHF

NYU should have only lost 1-2 guys.

Do you mind elaborating?

I have been on the d3boards.com for 10 or so years and I feel like once or twice a year, there is a post lamenting the state of NYU basketball.

I know nothing of NYU basketball but it does seems as though the formula (institutional profile, history, future facilities and such) could give NYU serious advantages over most other institutions.

nyhoopstalk

Quote from: WUPHF on June 04, 2019, 01:52:44 PM
NYU should have only lost 1-2 guys.

Do you mind elaborating?

I have been on the d3boards.com for 10 or so years and I feel like once or twice a year, there is a post lamenting the state of NYU basketball.

I know nothing of NYU basketball but it does seems as though the formula (institutional profile, history, future facilities and such) could give NYU serious advantages over most other institutions.

There have been defections over the years of a few of their rotational guys. They have not had a home court the last couple of years so I can justify a few transfers here and there.

WUPHF

I am under the weather today so I watched the archive of the 108-98 Emory road win over Washington University from last season. 

I do think that Emory was the beneficiary of four blown calls late in the game, but such is a basketball (or being a partisan fan).  Ultimately the key to the game was the Emory effort on the boards.

The rematches will easily be the most anticipated games of the season for both teams and the games get a bit more intriguing with the incoming class for Washington University.

Nate Bloedorn, Nolensville High School
Spencer Boehm, New Trier High School
Matt Gonzalo, St. Pius High School
Liam Dillon, Strake Jesuit High School
Kevin Davet, St. Ignatius High School

Yes, the brother of an all-UAA Emory forward is headed to St. Louis and just like his brother, he is very good.  Notably, he measures in at 6-8 to go along with two other guys on this list who measure in at 6-7 and 6-8.  They are also very good.  Of course, there are two other 6-8 players are currently on the roster so...

jaybird44

Haven't seen the others' recruiting videos yet, but the one featuring Matt Gonzalo was very impressive.

WUPHF

Matt Gonzalo is for real. 

Four-year starter on a team that won 102 games and made the state championship title game in three of those four years.  350 assists as a junior though I could not find his career total.  Finished as the all time school assist leader.  Regional player of the year as a senior.

WUPHF

The Washington University schedule has been posted: http://washubears.com/sports/mbkb/2019-20/schedule

The Bears travel to Illinois College and then Whitewater and Platteville.  Then host Coe and the winner/loser of Whitworth or Eau Claire in the Lopata Classic.  Then Webster, Augustana, and Rhodes at home.  Then Fontbonne, Illinois Wesleyan and Millikin on the road to round out non-conference play.

The Bears played Whitewater one time in 2008-2009 (1-0) and Whitworth twice with the last match-up in 2011-2012 (1-1).  The last match-up with Millikin goes back to 1998-1999 and the Bears hold a 9-18 losing record with the Big Blue.  Bears got work to do!

Also, the away and home match-ups with Emory do indeed happen halfway through conference play.

WUPHF

Carnegie Mellon, Chicago and Rochester have posted 2019-2020 schedules.

The non-conference opponents are the usual for the most part, though Chicago appears to be hosting St. Thomas and Nebraska Wesleyan in a tournament along with DePauw.

Carnegie Mellon has yet to release the teams for their tournament.

Chicago
https://athletics.uchicago.edu/sports/mbkb/2019-20/schedule

Rochester
https://uofrathletics.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball

Carnegie Mellon
http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/mbkb/2019-20/schedule

Smitty Oom

Quote from: WUPHF on June 29, 2019, 11:09:10 AM
The non-conference opponents are the usual for the most part, though Chicago appears to be hosting St. Thomas and Nebraska Wesleyan in a tournament along with DePauw.

Chicago
https://athletics.uchicago.edu/sports/mbkb/2019-20/schedule

I might need to spend Thanksgiving weekend in Chicago!

WUPHF

UChicago has a great gym if you have never been. Plus, you may be able to watch Illinois Wesleyan at Lake Forest, Olivet at Wheaton College, Concordia Wisconsin at Dominican, Fontbonne at North Park, Aurora/Finlandia/Aurora at Carthage and Rose-Hulman at North Central (Monday).

Gregory Sager

Quote from: WUPHF on June 29, 2019, 10:36:51 PM
UChicago has a great gym if you have never been. Plus, you may be able to watch Illinois Wesleyan at Lake Forest, Olivet at Wheaton College, Concordia Wisconsin at Dominican, Fontbonne at North Park, Aurora/Finlandia/Aurora at Carthage and Rose-Hulman at North Central (Monday).

Fontbonne isn't playing at North Park. It's playing North Park in Moody Bible Institute's famed Solheim Gym, the most famous gym in the NBA that isn't actually home to an NBA team.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell