FB: American Rivers Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DBQ1965

As the story goes, Judge John Chalmers, after whom UD's Chalmers Field is named, was coaching at Loras (then known as Columbia College) when the school found out he wasn't Catholic and let him go.  Chalmers then went down the road to coach at UD.  Chalmers coached teams dominated Loras ... just another reason for the rivalry.
Reality is for those who lack imagination 😀

hazzben

They seriously stole the name of a college down the street?! That is one of the funniest, weirdest, and most feckless things I've ever heard of.

If I was a UD Student and/or athlete I'd be referring to Loras as Dubuque College every chance I got. Tshirts, signs, etc. at every opportunity. lol, you can't make this stuff up!

sportsknight

Quote from: Schipper Strong on September 02, 2020, 07:23:51 AM
Tune into KRLS FM 92.1 every Saturday afternoon at 1:00 for Central College football brought to you by the Voice-of-the-Dutch Trevor Castle. Starting this Saturday and a total of 12 Saturdays. Time to relive classic Central football games from 2001 on. With 12 games on the schedule, it looks like a winning season!

Glancing over the schedule, it appears there are a couple chances that I make my return to the Big Red Radio waves.

Who saw that coming?
"Graduating from college in four years is like leaving a party at 10:30." - Chuck Klosterman

sportsknight

Quote from: doolittledog on September 04, 2020, 04:13:20 PM
Quote from: colts183 on September 04, 2020, 03:05:07 PM
Does anyone know what the reasons are behind the hatred between UD and Loras?

Where do I begin  ;D

Proximity...1 mile between the two campuses.

Religion...Loras is Catholic, UD Presbyterian.     

A little over a century ago, UD was known as Dubuque College and Loras was St Joseph.  St Joseph changed their name to Dubuque College and would sit on mail that was supposed to have been delivered to UD.  The Iowa Supreme court eventually told both schools to change their names.  St Joseph, which was calling itself Dubuque College, changed their name to Columbia College before eventually settling on the Loras College name in 1939.  Dubuque College changed their name to the University of Dubuque.  That was not taken well by Loras College.  After that, the two schools would not play each other in football.  When the Iowa Conference split into North/South divisions in 1950 Dubuque was put in the South and Loras was put in the North division. 

Yada, yada, yada, the list goes on and on.

This history is suddenly very relevant again.

https://www.telegraphherald.com/news/breaking/article_7b1023df-3e91-5991-ae15-6c629e4e6462.html?utm_source=&utm_medium=&utm_campaign=
"Graduating from college in four years is like leaving a party at 10:30." - Chuck Klosterman

jamtod

Quote from: sportsknight on September 08, 2020, 02:28:14 PM

Where do I begin  ;D

A little over a century ago, UD was known as Dubuque College and Loras was St Joseph.  St Joseph changed their name to Dubuque College and would sit on mail that was supposed to have been delivered to UD.  The Iowa Supreme court eventually told both schools to change their names.  St Joseph, which was calling itself Dubuque College, changed their name to Columbia College before eventually settling on the Loras College name in 1939.  Dubuque College changed their name to the University of Dubuque.  That was not taken well by Loras College.  After that, the two schools would not play each other in football.  When the Iowa Conference split into North/South divisions in 1950 Dubuque was put in the South and Loras was put in the North division. 

https://www.telegraphherald.com/news/breaking/article_7b1023df-3e91-5991-ae15-6c629e4e6462.html?utm_source=&utm_medium=&utm_campaign=

Further support/argument for the idea that Catholic institutions ought not be named after any non-canonized persons.

doolittledog

Quote from: sportsknight on September 08, 2020, 02:28:14 PM

Where do I begin  ;D

From that article, it was already known that Bishop Loras had been a slave owner.  Loras College is now taking the statue down because he was a more involved slave owner than past depictions?  I guess I would have thought the fact he was already known to have been a slave owner would have been reason enough in the past.

This can still be a positive for the school.  They are creating a new scholarship in that slaves name.  Discussion of the past and how we are moving forward as a people is better than sweeping it under the rug and pretending it never happened. 
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

BLynn

In case you missed it; 2-time defending NAIA Champs Morningside rallied to beat #10 Northwestern 45-31 in front of 6,000 Saturday nite.  (I estimated about 4,500 to 5K, but SID listed 6K)

doolittledog

Quote from: BLynn on September 13, 2020, 10:23:10 PM
In case you missed it; 2-time defending NAIA Champs Morningside rallied to beat #10 Northwestern 45-31 in front of 6,000 Saturday nite.  (I estimated about 4,500 to 5K, but SID listed 6K)

Looks like NAIA AD's overestimate attendance just like D3 AD's and their counting abilities  ;D

Have to say I'm a bit jealous you get to play while we are sidelined.  I'll have to check out the game this week while I attempt to get work done. 
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

BLynn

Morningside just announced an 'update' on fan attendance.  Limiting it to family and friends of athletes and staff.  There were just to many of us, (me by the 2nd qtr), that went unmasked and social distanced too close, i guess. 

btw, have any D3 schools announced spring football schedules yet? 

FCGrizzliesGrad

Quote from: BLynn on September 15, 2020, 05:06:38 PM
Morningside just announced an 'update' on fan attendance.  Limiting it to family and friends of athletes and staff.  There were just to many of us, (me by the 2nd qtr), that went unmasked and social distanced too close, i guess. 

btw, have any D3 schools announced spring football schedules yet?
HCAC announced theirs on Tuesday. Play starts February 27th
UMAC have also done theirs... starts March 27.
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

jaybird44

Hello all!

Usually I post items about WashU games that I have or will broadcast, or about general observations from other games and events.  However, this post regards a topic that is quite a bit different--with the athletic shoe being on the broadcaster's foot.

I am going to attempt to cover 100 miles in a solo charity ultramarathon through an event that I have organized.  "Rett Gets Rocked Virtual Ultra Weekend" will be conducted in the subdivision where I live in St. Charles, MO, to raise awareness and research funds for Rett syndrome.  I get started at 9 a.m. Central on Saturday, October 3 and end at 5 p.m. Sunday, October 4.  Proceeds from the event will be split between Rettsyndrome.org (the only national organization spearheading research and providing resources for affected patients and their families) and the Rett Spectrum Clinic--a collaboration between the WashU School of Medicine and St. Louis Children's Hospital.

Rett syndrome is a rare, non-inherited neurological disorder that is caused by a gene mutation in the brain.  Rett strikes typically when a child is 6-18 months old, and it takes away the child's ability to move and communicate.  Most of them end up in wheelchairs with active minds, but mired in the physical rubble that Rett creates.  And, the neurological damage prevents verbal communication and arm and hand movement for sign language.

In essence, Rett does to a child what Lucy in the "Peanuts" comic strip does to Charlie Brown when he tries to kick the football that she is holding.  The only difference is that Charlie Brown can get back up to try again.  Those who are afflicted with Rett syndrome don't get another chance to enjoy a vibrant life.

If you would like to make a donation to the cause, here is the link to my Rett Racers donation page:  https://rettracer.everydayhero.com/us/rett-gets-rocked-2020

Thanks for your time and consideration, and let's hope that we get back to playing and broadcasting sports much sooner than later!

Jay Murry
Play-By-Play Announcer, Washington University in St. Louis
Event Director, Rett Gets Rocked Virtual Ultra Weekend

doolittledog

Former BV coach Merritt Ewalt has passed away at the age of 90.  A reminder to something you saw more of in the old days.  Basketball HC for 16 seasons, coached T&F 15 seasons, assistant football coach for 16 seasons, mens golf HC 5 seasons, and wrestling coach for 2 seasons!

https://bvuathletics.com/news/2020/9/30/general-bvu-hall-of-fame-coach-remembered-for-his-connections.aspx

I enjoyed the story of him getting locked out of the gym in Decorah, having to walk around to the front entrance, and getting told they wanted to charge him admission to a game he was coaching  ;D

BLynn

"In football, the provisional plan provides for each school to play three conference games with the option to play up to five games if the school so chooses.  the conference decided there will be no conference champion in football this year."

This seems like a bit of a waste of time.  GPAC schools have had some issues but about 75% of games have been played and the rest have been re-scheduled for later in the fall.  Not a D3 vs NAIA issue, but I had my doubts about spring football.  Several D2 conferences announced recently, 'no spring football at all'. 

However, I did get to attend the 48-40 game between Northwestern and Dordt Saturday and saw Noah Clayberg (Pella) for the 2nd time this year.  Great athlete!